Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

• RMweb Premium

. So far due to the heritage and preservation excuse we have ignored issues that would cause many a modeller to commit suicide. Mixing ERAs  and liveries probably being just a couple of WTFs.

Rule 1 applies.....  :declare:

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

Hi Kal & Jaz

Apologies for only just finding your thread. How did I miss this?

Having read Kal's introduction of "If you are expecting this layout to match the fantastic standard of some of the layouts, such as I see on here and in magazines, then this thread is probably not for you." And "For some, the results may be a blight on the landscape, and we accept that, but for us it is more about the journey, than the destination." I thought this sounds like a good basic layout from a couple of new starters and it might not make my layout look total rubbish.

You then proceed to post photos of an absolutely amazing layout that is superbly detailed and looks like it has taken 10-15 years to create. Your work is outstanding and I just love the fact that you don't take it too seriously, with the reference to the TV & film sets. I am loving the Harry Potter references as we have just returned from a family visit to the Harry Potter Studio tour at Leavesden.

Great work guys and I look forward to seeing your future updates, even if they do make me want to throw the towel in and give up! lol

Dave

Newbryford / Mick

I asked Kal what is rule one? He smiled and said "It's my layout and I'll run what I want" Yup I love rule 1 :mosking:

freebs

Yeah, supergluing...where's the xxGGrrringxxx acetone, and that's just to rescue the bit I just put on upside down ... :sarcastichand: ...wrashingfashing.....instructions......I'm reading a ratio kit at the moment it specifically said to put something in one direction only, and it only works the other way round.  :triniti: ..am I going to drill the model to get it per work per instructions, and take the risk of busting it!!!...when it works and looks ok upside down....ooooh no. Spot the deliberate mistake... Must go paint the xxxkingxxxx thing..

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Newbryford / Mick

I asked Kal what is rule one? He smiled and said "It's my layout and I'll run what I want" Yup I love rule 1 :mosking:

Another variation of Rule 1 is "IMTS" - it's my train set....... :sungum:

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

Rammy

missed your post at first because I forgot to post mine from last night. But I can honestly say we have been ecstatic about the positive response we got from people here. initially nearly all our work had been learnt from the endless magazines we buy, and a couple of very strong shows (Peterborough and Spalding). Also because we have not modelled much of our buildings etc only really working on our scenic items and getting the track layout to a reasonably happy state  we had considered it more of a collectors layout.

However people here have been VERY friendly. I include a picture or two showing it in its formative (messy) state, we posted originally on another forum where mostly constructive criticism together with advice helped us up our game. We are always willing to learn new techniques if it improves the layout. Plus I have had a serious interest in the water features. Kal once came home from being away for a week at work to find the cove idea almost finished...

8999598779_c197c79719_c.jpg

flat earth society, before someone pointed out that this would be very noisy , not to mention bouncy....flying locos likely...and not from any stunts involving the Harry Potter element.....

9003713633_1863616ffc_c.jpg

we began cutting up boards for the tracks, and hiding the tracks under/behind scenic items still a little flat earth where the houses etc are sited, and our first forays into plaster cast

9000231613_5141beb5ea_c.jpg

2011 july. Kal DCCing, he spent so long under those tables I considered making a board on wheels with a pillow. I spent ages laying out the models we had bought so we could decide where certain stations would work best. We had just discovered copydex and foam ballast rather than pva and cork and found we  could lay it down wrong and change it without rashingfashing swearing and reuse the foam if you had a little patience, this allowed us to put down stuff much faster than our nervous forays into cork laid track beds.

9005381306_a0256d7070_c.jpg

2012 Feb after a brief affair early on with a homemade wooden helix which could carry small trains BUT not carry 2+9s ( centrifugal force won out  :O )we had added longer ups and downs, one of which is visible here, Prior to cutting the boards we added the back scene which belatedly involved me lying on the tables (with a pillow) and painting led down and using a square to stop me drawing the buildings at an angle (not always successfully) Wallpapering should always happen first....

To say we went through a steep learning curve, realising there were better times to have done certain jobs, is a serious understatement. In hind sight we would have done certain jobs a lot earlier and some very differently. But we have managed to muddle through mostly.We changed from Peco 100 to 75, now wish we had cut the webbing too ......

We were very nervous about putting up our train set, but have as earlier said been really pleased by a wonderful welcome. This thread started 26th May 2013 and has been a real roller coaster, we have met some wonderful people and made some friends too, and even met a few people in real life at one of the shows. Having spent a lot of time checking out the people who have posted on our thread we have also come across some excellent threads.,my layouts, blogs and websites. I have subscribed to loads of interesting threads.

But the point of showing the pictures, was to show you getting the basics is all important, the green fluff and stuff only pulls it together visually, albeit in a nice way.

Plus most people work alone. Kal and I are married, live in the same house, and don't get sniffy when the other goes off to work on their hobby, because it is OUR hobby. Which allows us to move on much faster, and allows him to 'steal' our dining room without me having a hissy fit.  :triniti: ..... :jester:

• Like 4

Jaz - superglue - it's usually, "Oh damn, it's come apart" and you watch as the two pieces you were trying to glue together fall on to the table, whilst realising your fingers are now firmly stuck together...

I'm really envious of the space you've got there - it's one awesome looking railway. I know what you mean about the flat earth thing - I'm currently redesigning my layout (in my head, as I go along) and hope to get more contours involved...

You're also lucky to be both into the hobby - SWMBO often looks at me with pity and scorn when I'm sitting of an evening, gluing little bits of plastic on to bigger bits of plastic...

We're all still waiting for images of this kit you're working on! :)

Hi freebs, a little update to let you know what we are working on...

Progress is advancing with the model and a lot of rashingfashing, however with other things occurring, and a homemade chocolate cake needing to be scratch built and modelled, and the need to stop and let glue settle on the ratio model, this is not going any where as near as fast as I had hoped, 

9040425863_07d15c42f6_c.jpg

starting out

9042698776_d2639df0e6_c.jpg

The easier bits

9042754534_d3b4906637_c.jpg

The rashingfashing (swearing) bits. Just got the top of the ladder in a half acceptable position, glued urgently and retired to a safe distance, daren't even breath on it............some reworking of the string...I mean chains and hopefully....base coat (black) and (top coat) yellow and weathering to follow. Then need to buy a glass case to protect it on the layout !!!!! :jester:

Actually looking forward to scratch building, then at least all the mistakes are your own.....including poor fitting items and dodgy instructions... :mosking:

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 3

That's brilliant! (what is it? ;) )

mmm scratch-built chocolate cake - is it 12" to the foot scale?

That's a lovely looking loco display case you've got in the background there - can I come and play trains?  :jester:  :derisive:

HI freebs

Sure, as long as you can instruct me on how they are suppose to run prototypically. I have a bunch of sound locos, with some fantastic noises, now if I can just understand what and when they are for. :)

I recently hacked an A4 to bits to put in sound, first major surgery I have done on a loco, and it seems to have gone quite well, I will get a picture or two up and see if I can do a U-tube for it this weekend. Not knowing how the real thing works it will be along the lines of, button 1 makes this sound.......

Edited by Kal

Hi Kal - they start up, with a "chugachugachuga" noise and then purr as they idle - then all the horns go off and it accelerates?... Then for Diesel... "Oh b****r, I've got the decoders in the wrong locos!

I'm actually still operating on good old DC, with a random assortment of my old Intercity 125 from 30 years ago, back when I was a bairn, then a second hand Class 56 I picked up at an EM show (oddly) which squeals like anything when running, then we've got my son's Class 08 and of course, good old Percy (which has had a bit too much of hurtling round the track at a scale 567mph).

recently I accquired a boat (or should that be train) load of second hand gear including lots of old locos - some Diesel, and some Steam - not really sure what there is, as I've still got to go through them all, but there are two Class 31 diesels. I only know that none of them run right now and need an awful lot of work to get going!

I'd love to go DCC, but this is my first layout and I'm keeping it relatively cheap for now,  and seeing as my Dad gave me his 2 Gaugemaster Q 4 track controllers....

• Like 2

Hi 

Here are the pictures of Kal's hack job on A4 Kingfisher from the rarebird pack fitted with a Zimo MX645R and sound project from our good friend Paul Chetter. Thank you Paul.

9043389120_cd665931d6_c.jpg

Here's a top down view showing a Paul Gibson speaker hacked into the tender under the replacement coal load.

9041211255_3e915dc8de_c.jpg

As you can see the coal load is just real coal copydexed to some left over foam from creating Kal's stock boxes

9040638213_5568e5ffca_c.jpg

A video should follow at the weekend. 

Very nice guys. That crane is a fair size. I too am not a 100% what sounds to use on my (only) DDC Diesel with sound. I usually just start with F1 then add the flange squeal and toot the horn as it approaches and leaves the station. Probably nowhere near prototypical but I have great fun and that is what is all about :D 

• Like 1

A friend, kindly pointed out, too late (he lives down under) , that painting on the sprue FIRST is best, and the ladder might have been easier to attempt horizontally rather than the vertical. A point or two I will definitely use NEXT time. Having only done my first kit about a month or so ago...I do make rather elementary mistakes. I did hand paint the stall on the sprue , but thought airbrushing? You do it in one go for colour consistency, don't you?? Live and learn. Well I got in some black acrylic , then added some enamel yellow, the yellow needed to dry before I added more.  There is tidying up to do on the model as well. The hanging pulley will be last.

9046878251_daf596ec80_c.jpg

9046910515_672ceba88d_c.jpg

Research across the web brought me directly back to RM for two real life pictures.

1. uploaded by Castle 27 Feb 2013 here on RM.

2. uploaded by Southern 42, 12 oct 2012 here on RM

Based at Didcot this is apparantly in GWR early stone. Can't find a yellow one to get reference for the finishing colours. So will have to improvise (winces). If anyone lives near there a picture of the top and winding gear etc really needs to hit the internet :yes: Or if someone knows any of any other useful pictures I would really appreciate it.

Oh I do have the magazine reference by Spencer Pollard,those photos alone have been invaluable.

Any thoughts on this build will also be gratefully received.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

A friend asked us how it was going and did we have any tips.......to which we replied

Tips? 
Oh yes....Kal has a list........................

1. Enjoy looking at other peoples pictures, and think to yourself...... I could do that............ but don't actually try it!

2. Buy RESIN or similar pre built products tongue.gif Spend the rest of the time reading the how to magazines.

3. Tell people you plan to do something and ask them for advice????? And believe them when they say there are difficult and don't bother

4. Have two or more on the go and when one is getting you down go do the other for a while, perhaps upto 10 if you have  the room would be ideal, 11th spot being the bin!!!!!

5. It's not as bad as it sounds, Kal says you have to wait 24 hours for that to dry, glue, etc......as I skulk out of the room, thinking well I could just do this little bit....that won't hurt innocent.gif 

6. Try building derelict buildings and broken machinery, they are easier to make authentic. biggrin.gif At least in our experience.

7. If all else fails don't tell anyone......or buy photoshop rolleyes.gif 

8. Be well prepared, correct tools for the job are a must lubrication such as beer ,whiskey , valium or other suitable lubricants. Plus left handed screwdrivers, metric adjustable spanners, tartan paint, and sky hooks are a must.. For those very special jobs a 6lb fine adjusting hammer yikes.gif then stand back and enjoy all your work......

9. Last of all do not forget the instructions, even if the model is unsuccessful they are still good for a laugh, or ripping into pieces adding flour and water and making a papermache version!!!!!!!

If anyone wants to join our masterclasses................
Edited by Jaz

Thank you Britfarmer

Luckily Kal hid the 6lb hammer so I have more pictures

The friend who said paint before you put it together can feel very smug about now, it's very hard getting into all the crannies.

Still haven't tidied model, finished model....only just finished the other yellow coat........but the weathering was SHOUTING at me.....

9052937230_5eb1116b73_c.jpg

9053028150_6bfcc50d98_c.jpg

9050831585_9e120ec18f_c.jpg

not allowed to touch it anymore tonite.................................

• Like 2

Latest photos

Last one on the workbench, and oolours used for the hanging pulley plus the previously shown yellow

9057269960_8c8675062a_c.jpg

First one on the layout, and a sneak preview of Kalboroughs new area

med_gallery_17883_2760_232047.jpgrmweb1013kalboro1

the soot covered hewn rock is reminiscent of Edge Hill cutting near Liverpool

med_gallery_17883_2760_525098.jpgrmweb1014kalboro2

9057811168_e7a5cc890c_c.jpg

9055843731_c29096f466_c.jpg

9055870669_950e1b4d9f_c.jpg

med_gallery_17883_2760_161378.jpg

1311/1312

There should be one more picture but flickr appears to be on a go slow, I'll add it later

Any comments especially those that might allow us to improve the hoist will be gratefully received

We are also tidying up the loft for a video update.....

Edited by Jaz

post-14393-0-12229600-1362003447_thumb.j

post-14049-0-96023600-1350076667.jpg

Castle and Southern42 kindly gave permission for me to post these, Castle also has a thread offering a visit to Didcot (where this one is) next month. Check out his thread.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jaz

Said I'd visit.  :yes:

Great looking layout.  You're certainly spoilt for size.  And superb looking lifting hoist.

The model does look tall - so I'm wondering if it will fit in the scaled down version of Southall's repair shop.  Can you tell me how tall it is?

I've still not built mine.  I've got the rolling underframe to finish first and hope to work out a method of getting it to 'work' either by getting the wheels round (unfortunately, they are fixed to the sprue on the circumference so I have flat bits to make round and that has delayed things!) or find some metal substitutes.

I shall have to keep an eye your progress.

Polly

Hi Southern42

Just used an Expo model makers scale ruler, it says just under 35feet or almost 11 metres, f you need it more precise just say and I'll lift it off the layout and check. Pop the problem up and I'll see if Kal or I have any ideas. Did you see the Didcot trip by Castle? 

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the measurement, Jaz.

Hmmm. Box says 90mm x 60mm but that turns out to be the footprint.

As you say 35ft (140mm) in height.

The height of Southall repair shop to base of roof on the original plan is 28ft so I can't see that a 35ft hoist will travel too easily under the north lights!  I'll have to put some feelers out on my thread to see if it can be suitably modified - the joys of modelling.

Ray took the photo of the Didcot hoist, above, when Castle kindly showed us around last summer.  Great place.  Unfortunately, we can't make the tour this year though we do hope to get down there sometime.

Polly

Edited by southern42
  • Like 1