Thin wire for tender to loco connection

PGC

I'm not sure where to post this question, so I'm also posting it in the kitbuilding & scratchbuilding forum.

I'm finishing a J17 0-6-0 tender loco that has tender pickups as well as loco.

I need to find some thin, flexible wire that will take the current from the tender to loco. I have a reel of 7/02.mm wire from Maplin that is sort of OK, it's not that flexible however.

Does anyone have suggestions on what wire I can use and where to get it?

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Phil

Hi, I used to sell flexible wire for plunger pick-ups and connecting loco/tender or DMUs etc. It's got a soft outer insulation and 10 strands of 0.1 wire so is much more flexible than 7/.02mm layout wire and can carry 1 amp. 1Mtr was around £1.00  I'll see if I can find the drum and put it on the website this week.

Many people used it for loco/tenders as it looked about the size of the vac and steam heat pipes

Hope that helps,

Dave Franks.

Hi

A free option is to use former keyboard or mouse flexible wires stripped from their outer sheathing.

Often a visit to a PC repairs will result in a free defunct keyboard or mouse with its cable attached.

Thanks to everyone who's replied. I don't know why I didn't think of this before; I have a friend in Liverpool who's in to electronics. I mentioned decoder wire and he's sending me a 10ft length of black wire and all I have to do is buy him a beer or two when he next visits his sister.

Phil

Archived