Dapol announce 'N' gauge Grange at TINGS

Andy Y

TINGS N Gauge Announcements

Dapol would like to confirm its commitment to RTR N Gauge by announcing the development of the N gauge Grange 4-6-0 Steam locomotive

This locomotive is a logical progression from our Hall Class locomotive and will feature

1. Highly detailed body with many separately added details including rails and pipe work
  2. NEM Pockets
  3. Magnetic couplers and standard knuckle couplers included
  4. Super creep motor for controlled pulling power and excellent slow running speeds
  5. Finely detailed tungsten alloy chassis and  factory blackened cast wheels
  6. Etched name and cab plates where appropriate
  7. DCC Ready with provision for a 6 pin decoder
  8. DCC Fitted option available
  9. Accessory bag with many optional detailing parts for home fitting
  10. Dapols 2 year no quibble warranty

Prices for the Grange will be in the region of £120 for DCC ready versions and £140 for the DCC fitted.

CAD/CAM design work will start in September 2013 and we hope to be displaying the first Engineering prototypes early in the New Year, with the model being released in around 9 month’s time.

I find it's interesting that Dapol have gone for another named GWR 4-6-0 alongside the Manor and Hall, while Ixion had announced they would be producing a Churchward Mogul if they had carried on with N gauge models.

With the forthcoming Castle from Farish, we will be quite well supplied with GWR express and larger mixed traffic locos. But apart from the Peco Collett, we will lack medium-size, mixed traffic locos to modern RTR standards, i.e. large prairies, Dean Goods and Churchward and Collett Moguls.  Many people model branch lines, and in most cases the medium sized locos would be more likely to visit than the 4-6-0s, unless it is somewhere like Windsor or Kingswear.

Douglas

• RMweb Premium

The Grange is a very easy "take" where as a Mogal would need significantly more work to create. Looking at it this way means that making the Grange makes more financial sense and also gives Dapol a product that in theory should be quick to get to the market.

As it states that the CAD has yet to start / has only just started I wonder if these models have been brought forward following Dave Jones' departure to lessen the impact and to take some sting out of the launch of his new company. 

• RMweb Premium

Another good move to tool up for the Grange as some parts like the tenders are already available, maybe it's also time for a rerun of the Manor, but now with the tungsten split framed chassis spec for those who missed out on the former Ixion version? 

• RMweb Premium

Two new manors arriving before christmas. One gwr lined green and one br lined green.Sorry I can't remember which ones but they were both on display on TINGS. They now include dcc ready and spoked tender wheels.

Spoked wheels eh? I do like Dapol's policy of continuous improvement. Makes it hard to resist any more!

Will the smaller tender be the only option, then?

I was interested to see the pic of Goodmoor Grange because I managed to "spot" it in the summer of 1963, according to my Ian Allen book. I was trying to work out the livery but the loco is so grimy I can't make out the lining, ie was loco green or black.  I guess all over soot in reality, but any ideas?

Will the smaller tender be the only option, then?

I was interested to see the pic of Goodmoor Grange because I managed to "spot" it in the summer of 1963, according to my Ian Allen book. I was trying to work out the livery but the loco is so grimy I can't make out the lining, ie was loco green or black.  I guess all over soot in reality, but any ideas?

By 1963 most probably lined green

Will the Granges be available with both 3500 and 4000 gallon tenders? Most were paired with 3500 gallon tenders when new but the class steadily aquired 4000 gallon tenders during their working life. I believe that only 3 members of the class retained 3500 gallon tenders until the end. "Power of the Granges" is an excellent reference book for the class.

Will the Granges be available with both 3500 and 4000 gallon tenders? Most were paired with 3500 gallon tenders when new but the class steadily aquired 4000 gallon tenders during their working life. I believe that only 3 members of the class retained 3500 gallon tenders until the end. "Power of the Granges" is an excellent reference book for the class.

Actiually they had four tenders at least - the Churchward style 3500, the Collett 3500 (as Peco supplied with their 2251) the Collett 4000 and the Hawksworth 4000. 24 ended their life with the Collett 3500, almost all the rest with the Collett 4000. Somehow I expect we will mostly see the Churchward 3500 and Collett 4000, as Dapol have models of both of these already.

Chris

Thanks, Chris.  I have a pic of 6838 ex works in lined green but undated - looking again at the picture above there is perhaps lining on tender and cab.

There is a picture of 6838 in August 1963 in "Power of the Granges". Although not clean, it is definitely lined green, and coupled to a Churchward 3500 tender. By spring 1965 it had a Collett 4000 tender.

Chris

• 8 months later...

I am not a reader of the Dapol Facebook page, the answer may be there.

I thought the Granges were originally due for a much earlier release than September 2014 yet don't recall even seeing any CADs published yet (I may have missed them) never mind a first EP?

Is tooling actually completed? If not I would have thought September highly unlikely.

I think the Grange is an excellent choice of loco, along with the Halls, they were probably the most widely travelled of GW locos, so as long as the model is up to scratch it is sure to be popular when it does appear.

Roy.

• RMweb Premium

They were meant to have been ready a long time ago Roy, as the thought was that it would use much of the Hall to create it. I have not seen any CAD work or EP's for the model, hence the scepticism in my previous post. However I would like to be proved wrong.

• 1 month later...

Archived