Dapol announce 'N' gauge Grange at TINGS

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

I suspect that the CAD was dressed with existing "parts" as a shortcut for the bits that will be etched brass when produced.

Dapol have confirmed this on their Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=840945405923209&set=a.840945372589879.1073741840.214563285228094&type=1&theater

• 8 months later...

Any chance of a shot of the other side of the Grange? The first EP had a mechanical speedo bracket on the rear driving axel. These were only fitted to larger engines as far as I am aware and I am hoping they have removed it.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Apparently both Osborns and Rails of Sheffield have received stock today. Rails have put a couple of photos up already. They look very nice but annoyingly, Dapol have got the Route indicator discs the wrong colour again. They keep doing this on their Panniers too. The Granges were Red Route locos, not blue. Still, at least the disc is an easy fix with some Fox transfers.

https://railsofsheffield.com/Dapol-2s-019-006-class-6800-4-6-0-6803-bucklebury-grange-in-br-lined-green-with-late-crest-2s-019-006-JJJA28128.aspx

https://railsofsheffield.com/Dapol-2s-019-003-class-6800-4-6-0-6809-burchlere-grange-in-br-lined-black-with-early-emblem-2s-019-003-JJJA28122.aspx

• RMweb Premium

Oh no! (that's my wallet speaking!) Will have to smuggle this one indoors! Just got e-mail from Merseyside--6809 is on its way! Too late to get it sent to another address!!

• RMweb Premium

Luckily SWMBO didn't see 6809 arrive yesterday!

Apart from the blue dot (rather than red), it looks good, apart from rather 'loud' grey lining on the splashers and performed well on the rolling road. I think Dapol have used the 'Hall' tender, as it's got solid tender wheels rather than the spoked ones of the 'Manor'. Maybe the 'continuous improvement' policy has been dropped? 

My 6809 has also arrived and looks good overall. I will (hopefully) give it a running in tonight. Here is a picture of it fresh from the box.

DSCF5427_zpsakt4zicl.jpg

Like Crepello, the white lining is a little on the heavy side but not too bad. The route discs are annoying but I have some Fox transfers to overlay them with. The solid tenders are what I was expecting based on the Hall. Hopefully the variants with the 3500 gallon Churchward tender will have spoked wheels as per the 2884.

Most annoying thing is that they have missed out the fire-iron tunnel from the left side of the firebox. Only a small detail but it is present on the Manor.  :scratchhead:

• RMweb Premium

My grange turned up this morning, and has been having a good run in during the day.

So far all most all is good. The slow speed running from the word go has been good and the loco is smooth at all speeds. The lining on the splashers is a little bright but it is less noticeable on the model than in a photo. The only real downside is the noise, it's a noisy loco, not quite as noisy as when first run, but still massively noisier than the Farish N class.

Edit - haulage is good. I have just hung 14 Dapol colletts off the back of the loco and it pulled them with ease, even when introducing a gradient of about 2% on a 12" radius curve.

Fox route indicator discs are a perfect replacement for the Dapol ones and help my OCD no end. ;) The sheet you need is FRH2105. Here is Burghclere Grange now sporting correct red route indicator discs picking up the milk from the Chew Magna  creamery.

DSCF5445_zpsrgwutbhu.jpg

Archived