Stations on Bridges - Tyseley

Andy Y

Happened across a selection of images from Feb 2007 on my PC that may prove useful to anyone building a station on a bridge, a subject which gets modelled in more cases than they exist on the prototype due to their usefulness.

Tys1.jpg

Tys2.jpg

Tys3.jpg

Tys4.jpg

Tys5.jpg

Tys6.jpg

Tys7.jpg

Tys8.jpg

Tys9.jpg

Tys10.jpg

Tys11.jpg

Tys12.jpg

Tys13.jpg

Tys14.jpg

Tys15.jpg

Tys16.jpg

Tys17.jpg

Tys18.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for this Andy - particularly useful for those of us not located in the UK (how I wish I could just take an afternoon road trip and go explore sites like these!). This really fires my imagination, question is, how the 'eck do I fit this onto a micro ! That's going to take some thinking, track-plan and operation- wise! smile.gif

When where these taken Andy?

The station certainly looks smart and clean, hopefully it will stay that way.

Can remember being in the booking office a few times when the Didcot MGRS

passed underneath with a cl56 on, the noise was something!

My first job with BR was in the carriage sidings and I used to pass through here

each day, but not always by the main enterance!

cheers

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Nice set of pictures, Andy. I seem to remember you posted a similar set 1-2 years ago, maybe that was Bordesley (no good with my memory & old forum both offlinewink.gif )

Interesting to look at the construction, there seems to be an iron/steel girder raft that the red brick buildings rest on. The raft is then spaced up further off blue brick walls/piers, in line with the footbridge steps. All in all there's plenty of detail to get stuck into if anyone fancies a go (not me I would add....tongue.gif )

Very useful photos of a handy 'contrivance' for space constrained modellers - certainly helpful in my current project, if only to confirm some details.

Curious to note the paint scheme, seems to be a mix of Midland and Western regions. Something that would attract comment if modelled...

Thanks for sharing them !

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I presume that this was a GWR station :icon_e_smile:

Very useful photos Andy. Will use them for one of the stations on my layout (the station close to Brunel Terrace)

Now, if you (or anyone else for that matter) has the dimensions, I could have a go at scratchbuilding the station :icon_surprised: :icon_frustrated:

And, yes, it would be another "mad doctor" project!

F

Hi Andy,

Nice looking building is that and would make for an interesting model, probably the most familiar rd bridge station's would be on the GCR, Quorn & Woodhouse etc, here are a couple of models i did many years ago of an LMS type and Quorn & Woodhouse or was it Rothley? both in 4mm scale.

Any questions on them i would only be too pleased to answer.

cheers.

wenlockandbrentetc268-1.jpg

pleylandmodels204-2-1.jpg

wenlockandbrentetc226-4.jpg

cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

Definately Water Orton, which also has as footbridge (on a slightly less grand scale than Tyseley) - Its also in need of some TLC!

Its a real pity as it used to be really nice with its waiting rooms.

Yes, complete with books and puzzles etc, its just a shame Central went and destaffed the place completely

as it did not take long for the scum to move in and try and burn the buildings down :angry:

Can remember calling the fire service there a few times so it was only a matter of time before

the buildings would be removed. Shame.

Keith

A smaller station built on a bridge was Shotton Colliery in Co. Durham. The station was in a cutting with shelters on the platforms, and the main building on a bridge over the cutting.

The station was sadly demolished years ago now, but i can remember walking accross a footbridge over the cutting in the 70's with my grandad to get to his pigeon loft

If you search on the www you can find pictures of the pit and exchange yards, and i'm sure there is a picture of the station as well.

Al

• 4 years later...

Archived