Compton Martin (00 gauge)

SDJR7F88

My first exhibition layout! :locomotive: I started this layout in March of this year and have been showing my progress week by week on my YouTube Channel. It 8ft x 2ft and splits into two 4ft x 2ft section to make transportation easier (both section have foldable legs).

Based on a fictitious 1950's-60's country terminus set in the sleepy village of Compton Martin, in the scenic Chew Valley. The station is served both by the Somerset and Dorset and the Great Western Railway (the Somerset and Dorset crossing the Mendips from Binegar and Great Western coming up the valley from Blagdon). The station consists of  a run around loop, cobbled goods yard (with good shed) and a small loco siding. The main produce transported on the line is milk and strawberry's, leading to one of the freight service being named by the locals the Strawberry and Cream Special!   :jester: The station also has it's own private engine which is a ex-SDJR saddle tank named 'Chew Valley'.

The layout will be heading to her first exhibition very soon at the real Compton Martin (more info about the event http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/75837-compton-martin-model-railway-exhibition/).

Here's the latest YouTube update of the layout (sorry a blab on a bit :stinker: ) and I hope to get lots of footage of her in action at the exhibition next week!

Callum

• Like 3

Callum

Enjoyed your description of an interesting layout. Hopefully will give inspiration to many to get on and build something.

To answer your question about the coal. I would definitely add some "loose" material.

Is the video straight from a camcorder ?

Look forward to updates.

Eddie

Callum

Enjoyed your description of an interesting layout. Hopefully will give inspiration to many to get on and build something.

To answer your question about the coal. I would definitely add some "loose" material.

Look forward to updates.

Eddie

Thanks Eddie! Glad you like the layout! Took me about an hour to get the description just right :jester: Just could not seem to put it into words at first :mail: . Totally agree with you about the coal, I added some loose stuff a few days ago and it is a massive improvement! I hope to upload a few picture of the progress tomorrow, plus another update video should be online by mid-week (the last one before it's first outing)! :O

Callum

Look forward to updates.

Eddie

Oh and as for the Camcorder, no the clips are all edited in Windows Live Movie Maker and then the whole video is shrunk a tinny bit (the camcorder still has a small black boarder around it anyway). This is to lower the uploading time to YouTube. This video took over 3 hour to upload still! :O Just imagine the time it would take without editing! :jester:

Nice pictures. Where did you get the signs from?

The ones on the platform are made by Gauge Master. You can pick them up most model shops for around £2.50. They certainly bright the station up! As for the Station name I create that myself in Word and printed it off. :jester:

Wow! Superb work Callum! i'm expecting trains next time though! :jester:  I reccomend ratio for pallets, oil drums and sacks; £4 for a pack of 4 drums, 6 pallets and quite a few sacks. They need painting though, but I've just weathered the pallets and sacks. Hope that helps!

Thanks mate! LOL! Would love too, but don't want to put them on there when I'm spray scenic cement about! :jester: Thanks for the head up on the items! Might get the chance to get a few more items tomorrow. At the moment I have Peco milk churns (seen on the platform and next to the goods shed), EFE crates, which I weathered up (seen on the back of the mechanical horse) and Base Toys Coal Sacks (seen by the coal merchants), they are very good ones! :declare:  

The latest update on the layouts first outing this coming Sunday! :O

8 Layouts Confirmed

Signals Model Trade Stand

Good Food

Plus best of all FREE ENTERY :locomotive: 

I'd like to say a big thank you to Hornbyandbf3fan for starting a thread about the event in the event section on RMweb :sungum: 

I also I got around to lining the fiddle with some foam sheets. Sadly when I designed the layout I forgot to calculate the size of the trains that would have to fit in the fiddle yard, so it is a bit on the small sized. :scratchhead: Lucky it can just about fit a two coach train hauled by an 0-6-0 tender loco (such as the Bachmann 4F), but you can just about see the rear of the train from under the bridge. :jester: I do plan to extend it in the future, so the it can accommodate a three coach train. Tell me what you think! :locomotive: 

Brilliant, I agree, it looks much better than it did.

Thanks mate! Totally agree! :locomotive:

post-20663-0-40023900-1383060520_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-80180300-1383060559_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-72290900-1383060696_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Here's a quick little tutorial for making wire fencing. :mail:

Items needed...

. Match Sticks

. Fine drill bit and hand drill

. Fine wire or fishing line

. Polystyrene and scrap wood

. Tidy Track Sleeper Weathering Pen

. Scissors

. Super Glue

. Masking tape

Step 1.

Tape the matchsticks in a row to a piece of scrap wood. Mark where you want the holes to go.

Step 2.

Drill the holes for the wires.

Step 3.

Paint the posts with the Tidy Tracks Sleep Pen.

Step 4.

Stick the posts in the polystyrene at the rough distance apart you want the posts to be. 

Step 5.

Tie one end of the wire to the first post, then thread it back and forth through all the holes in all the posts.

I will continue this tutorial tomorrow. Thanks to Kev on YouTube for showing me this technique! Hope you like it! :sungum: 

post-20663-0-42811800-1383167274_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-21550600-1383167425_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-86701600-1383167443_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-78714800-1383167452_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-13916600-1383167461_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-50100100-1383167466_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-44883900-1383167474_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Callum,liking this a lot.

The layout has a lovely look to it.

Is that PECO over bridge masking the fiddly yard?

Rob.

Proper job :)  Enjoyed the accent as much as the explanation!

(spent the first 25 years of my life in Chard...)

LOL! Thanks! :jester: Another update on the layout will be coming later today! It's the last update before it's first outing at the real Compton Martin this Sunday! :locomotive: