Milton Street MPD

Guest 40-something

Guest 40-something

Hi Folks

My fellow group member has asked if I would post a topic on his layout, he is not a member of forums.

Milton Street MPD is set in Motherwell's Daisy Park area in North Lanarkshire.  The layout represents a medium sized engine shed with associated workshop, coaling stage and stabling roads.  Built to 4mm/OO Gauge standards using Peco Code 75 trackwork and controlled by Gaugemaster Prodigy DCC.

All buildings are scratch built, mainly by the layout owner, the shed being based on Glasgow’s Polmadie with the workshop from Grangemouth attached. The sand house is also Grangemouth based whilst the coaling stage/water tank is of a Lancashire and Yorkshire design which he rather liked the look of!  The factory buildings are freelance, whilst the tenement is based on local Glasgow/Lanarkshire architecture.  
The turntable is a Heljan product, was 'anglicised' by removal of the control cabin and adding the vacuum pipe control gear to one end of the deck.  The backscene, a collage of photographs of Ravenscraig Steel Works where the layout owner worked for many a year. The motive power featured on Milton Street is typical of the locomotives seen in the Motherwell area at the time.  Mainly ex-LMS and BR Standards, but there are also some representatives of the LNER.  Locomotives range from humble 0-4-0 Pugs to 4-6-2 Pacifics and 2-10-0 freight loco's.  Despite the attempts of myself, Milton Street MPD remains a diesel free zone (although the odd EE 350hp diesel shunter has been known to make an appearance!)

The loco's are all detailed, weathered and DCC chipped and although mainly from the owners collection, others come from other 12AD members.

On its recent exhibition debut at Perth in June 2013, Milton Street worked reasonably well, although there some areas for improvement that will be implemented before its next outing to Falkirk in 2014.

post-6924-0-25011400-1385762214_thumb.jpg

post-6924-0-53392800-1385762216_thumb.jpg

post-6924-0-05255100-1385762219_thumb.jpg

post-6924-0-53686500-1385762285_thumb.jpg

post-6924-0-21088900-1385762288_thumb.jpg

post-6924-0-97658600-1385762290_thumb.jpg

post-6924-0-01143000-1385762294_thumb.jpg

post-6924-0-64747000-1385762296_thumb.jpg

post-6924-0-21738000-1385762321_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking

Guest 40-something

Looks very nice!! anymore super photos? :no:

Hi

Thanks for your comment, there are more photo's on the 12AD MRG website, linked to in my signature below

Guest 40-something

That one is very Scotish. Reminds me of Polmadie, although they had more track out there.

The shed building is based on a shrunken Polmadie, the builder done a great job!

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

While browsing back a bit in history (hadn't been on the forum for a while, so had some catching up to do..) I landed on this excellent shed layout.

And a question that I've been walking around with for a while popped to mind: Why would an engine shed like this one have doors at the back?
I can imagine it having sense if you have a bit if yard behind it where you can stable engines, or even if you need rear access to get some stuff delivered. But in this case with only a tiny little spur and after that a wall I don't see the need.. No offence to this excellent bit of work, just wondering why this would be in real life.

Hope somebody can answer this question for me.

Thanks a lot!

• 1 month later...

Many thanks for your comments.

Sorry I haven't replied earlier.

I used to be a member of East Kilbride model railway club and Jimmy Anderson (founder member and former chairman) suggested that the shed doors be added.

I was going to omit them but just to keep him happy they were added - I decided to add to both back and front for no particular reason.

Since your question was posted the layout attended the second Yorkshire and district exhibition in New Earswick where it was well received.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi lincoln40a, Thank you for disagreeing with my post. But do you also happen to have the answer why there would have been buffer stops so close to the back door of the shed? I'd really love to find out why this is..

Spencer, do you have any more photos of this brilliant layout?

• 2 years later...

Archived