Peterborough Station Remodelling

• RMweb Gold

I paid a visit to Peterborough Station today to have a nosey around while final preparations are made to introduce three new platforms. The entire station was closed with buses running to all nearby destinations, as well as some interesting diversions in place.

Hull Trains were working from St.Pancras via Leicester and Sheffield and EMT were extending some Nottingham services to Grantham to connect with East Coast services. Nice to see the various TOCs providing a joined up service.

The new platforms arrangement will permit a big capacity increase - the 4-car south-facing bay Platform 1 is out of use, there is a new platform face on the up fast, for southbound East Coast services and a new inland platform for the XC and EMT East-West services.

All platforms have received extensions to permit 12-car units to operate, when the GN joins the Thameslink if a couple of years time.

Here are a couple of pictures:

11586121315_ac8fa10b75_c.jpg

New platforms 6&7 

11586430774_9383c501fb_c.jpg

Platforms 2 (was 3) and 1 (was 2) - the lifted bay platform 1 is visible on the left. Note the extensions to allow 12-car EMU formations.

11586308493_6d41b48a97_c.jpg

The new up fast Platform 3 can be seen dead centre of this picture.

• RMweb Premium

Adam

I raised just such a thread (titled Peterborough remodelling) on here on 7th November 2012 with pictures of the changes as they happened, there didn't seem to be much interest, certainly not like that shown for Reading for example. Anyway been down today and all 7 platforms are in use. There is still quite a bit of work to be done, I've got about 15 shots today of various changes and different views (funnily enough I've almost replicated one of yours from Crescent Bridge).

I have a library of around 225 photographs (some are quite poor though) of what has been going on over the last 13 months. I'll continue with these until the works are complete which I am led to believe will be the end of March next year.

To round out the picture, here's one of the diversions at Rotherham Masborough, the 1045 Hull-St Pancras (due 1433). Last stop Doncaster, then via Barrow Hill and Toton. There were two round trips from Hull, but the later services were after dark this far north. 10/10 to Hull Trains for providing an alternative to the dreaded rail replacement bus shuffle.

post-6971-0-05311800-1388241822.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I wish i'd known that was running, I still need to infil the Erewash valley line for a scheduled service.

As far as I know one of the morning Sheffiled London services goes via the Erewash Valley    It's one of the HST services that starts at Leeds and used to be quite reasonably priced from Wakefield.

Jamie

Pretty sure any London trains via the Erewash go into Nottingham these days, leaving no year-round scheduled service on the section through Toton.  The Master Cutler went via Toton until, I think, 2009.  However the diversionary route for work between Mansfield Junction and Trent Junction is normally to send Derby and London trains from Nottingham via Radford, reversal at Trowell, and back through Toton. These are normally advertised and timetabled well in advance, though mostly confined to Sunday mornings and may be less frequent now that the re-signalling is finished. 

• RMweb Gold

Just to wrap things up a little, here are a few pictures of the new-look Peterborough. There is still considerable finishing off to do but all platforms and lifts are operational, which open up new photographic possibilities.

11693253334_c89091192a_b.jpg

170103 at the new Platform 7 - the staircase in the background is for the new staff walking route to Nene Sidings.

11693112873_4e594e92df_b.jpg

HST Speeding south through the new Up Fast Platform 3

11693623826_90d5617fbf_b.jpg

317348 on an FCC working to Kings Cross alongside 153374 about to leave for Spalding.

11692878385_ed30d9153f_b.jpg

91114 on a Northbound service at Platform 4, taken from the end of the new island Platform 6/7

• 5 weeks later...

G'Day Gents

The last time I travelled through Peterborough was in 1991, and used to work trains from KX to Peterborough in the early 70's, now I don't even know the place, if it wasn't for the old GN hotel, I would be totally lost, think I'll stick with Gilberts, Peterborough North, thread, at least I know what I looking at. :scratchhead:

manna

ess1uk

thank you for the link

Captain Electra

Just because Peterborough does not have that instant wow factor of a pretty and old station building, does not mean it is not worth modelling. They almost tore down the hotel opposite, which would have been a shame. The problem is people in general aren't interested in the now, but in 20 or 30 years this view will finally be much more appreciated. The bridge is always going to be a great feature. The present day shops, the ATMS even, the new entrance, will all in time have a fascination. The nearby police station. The bicycle hire....oh I could go on. They all represent a point in time. Nostalgia is that silly thing, that basically it has to be gone before you miss it. There is the pre new facia, which is probably not gone long enough to engender a general view. 

• RMweb Premium

ess1uk

thank you for the link

Captain Electra

Just because Peterborough does not have that instant wow factor of a pretty and old station building, does not mean it is not worth modelling. They almost tore down the hotel opposite, which would have been a shame. The problem is people in general aren't interested in the now, but in 20 or 30 years this view will finally be much more appreciated. The bridge is always going to be a great feature. The present day shops, the ATMS even, the new entrance, will all in time have a fascination. The nearby police station. The bicycle hire....oh I could go on. They all represent a point in time. Nostalgia is that silly thing, that basically it has to be gone before you miss it. There is the pre new facia, which is probably not gone long enough to engender a general view. 

I agree with you Jaz.   The new Leeds station (2000) doesn't get many mentions but I bet in a few years time the roof will get praise.  (It also takes 10 minutes to change a light bulb rather than 10 monthsd while a possession is organised.

Jamie

Archived