New train sets and Gift Packs

Paul.Uni

I'm somewhat confused as to why there isn't a single "Southern"  themed train set or train pack in the recent announcements.

I'm sure that Bachmann are' testing the water' with these initial packs,and if successful will consider releasing more at a later date.

• RMweb Gold

I'm somewhat confused as to why there isn't a single "Southern"  themed train set or train pack in the recent announcements.

It is only the first year of the war don't forget - they need to keep some of their powder dry for the other three.  I suspect that in this batch we are seeking use being made of one or two items of slower moving stock such as the reliveried (incorrectly) GWR 'City' and the Midland Compound plus the good old faithful Mainline LMS coaches with a spot of relivery or alteration.

There's still plenty of scope for later ROD livery locos and possibly other train packs such as the Robinson 2-8-0 in ROD livery on a leave train (those old Mainline coaches again?) and various other permutations on the theme.

Firstly I too want to congratulate Bachmann on a worthy assortment of new offerings.

The one that caught my eye was the Ambulance Train pack. Ambulance Train no. 40 was the 16-carriage set sent to Egypt and the Palestine Front (though  Lacy & Dow say Salonika in the "Midland Railway Carriages" books), its coaches later being converted back to passenger use and serving successively the Palestine Military Railway, Palestine Railways and Israel Railways, some surviving in service, albeit with newly-built bodies, until the 1960s.

As such, it probably never had the chance of being pulled by a 3700 Class.

There are great works photo shots of AT40 at the NRM (DY10735 - DY 10752) including one which is of approximately of the same perspective as the Bachmann graphic. This shows that the Bachmann coaches are probably of the wrong type, which makes sense, as Bachmann have no MR 54ft. clerestory carriages, of the type which were converted with semi-elliptical roofs to be used in AT 40 and the other such MR-built trains. AT 40 was photographed new at Derby in mid-November 1917, but was already reported on the PMR in Feb. 1918.

Below is a picture of AT 40 arriving at Lydda station in then-Palestine (opened Feb. 1918) led by an Egyptian State Railways 0-6-0.

post-8826-0-69796600-1391970267_thumb.jpg

Chen Melling

Manager

The Israel Railway Museum

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I have probably caused the confusion over the MKIIs, I put by Model Rail when I should have said Harburn Hobbies.

Apologies about that.

I have just come across my MKIIs and the label says ''Set of Kyle Line MK2 Coaches LNER Tourist Green/Cream Livery Produced Jointly For Model Rail/ Harburn Hobbies"

So it appears they were a joint venture. I thought I wasn't going totally bonkers!

Just out of interest the names in that set were: Corriemoillie, Clan Mackenzie, Balmacara & Capercailzie.

I've stumbled accross this topic while trying to find out what locos are going to be in the 25th anniversary pack - obviously it has still not yet been announced. Other than we know it's going to include a 47.

My money would have to be on Brush type 4, 47164 in union jack livery, as painted for Her Majesty's Silver Jubilee. Bachmann have already done '163 with modelzone a few years back (with some errors), so it would be great to see '164 with the union jack slapped all over it!

I thought the Midland Compound 1000 was an NRM exclusive? Has the agreement between Bachmann and the NRM now expired?

I have at long last received a reply from Bachmann on this matter. Apparently the locomotive itself is not exclusive to NRM only the wooden plinth, the box and the certificate. This is not what I was led to believe at the time.

Now it appears that the Bachmann/NRM models sold through Locomotion Models under the heading "Exclusive Editions" are nothing of the sort. Nothing prevents Bachmann from releasing them in their main range. All very misleading.

• RMweb Gold

I have at long last received a reply from Bachmann on this matter. Apparently the locomotive itself is not exclusive to NRM only the wooden plinth, the box and the certificate. This is not what I was led to believe at the time.

Now it appears that the Bachmann/NRM models sold through Locomotion Models under the heading "Exclusive Editions" are nothing of the sort. Nothing prevents Bachmann from releasing them in their main range. All very misleading.

It depends on the terms under which the model was produced and who pays for the tooling etc.  In some cases - as we have seen - the NRM have exclusivity for a while (e.g the GWR 'City'), in some cases it is a livery exclusive(e.g. the GCR 8K 2-8-0), and in others it is total exclusivity (e,g, the Deltic prototype).  I have a feeling that there will be more exclusives to come from the NRM as so far they seem to have been fairly successful and they have given us models we wouldn't have seen in the normal run of things.

• RMweb Gold

It makes life much more interesting for us and does help the NRM financially.I can happily tolerate a little confusion when we can enjoy models as attractive as the Lanky tank and Butler Henderson.

I eagerly await their next offering in cooperation with Bachmann.For instance,Barrow Hill had another LNER iconic loco,which is outstationed there by the NRM on display with the 3 A4's on their celebration weekend on the 8th/9th Feb....outside in the rain,rather than in the roundhouse.Now,wouldn't that be something ? A different "ocean" from the A4's,of course.

Edited by Ian Hargrave
  • Like 1

The Stationmaster is correct; exclusivity may be for a defined period and can form part of the contract which we may not be aware of at the time. Anyway, the chances are, with price rises as they go at present that a model may cost less as an 'exclusive' than when it appears in a main range.

The Stationmaster is correct; exclusivity may be for a defined period and can form part of the contract which we may not be aware of at the time. Anyway, the chances are, with price rises as they go at present that a model may cost less as an 'exclusive' than when it appears in a main range.

I feel then that it would be beneficial for the NRM / Locomotion to clarify exactly what is exclusive about their models at the point of sale

Currently they are offering a standard model of 10000 for £140. This is being sold in the exclusives section but contains no cert, plinth or fancy box (the parts which Bachmann seem to have indicated are the exclusive bits)

http://www.locomotionmodels.com/british-model-railways/oo-gauge-4mm/nrm-exclusive-editions-and-collection/Bachmann-37-930nrm-standard-midland-compound-1000.htm

Alternatively, I can pre-order the new train pack for £144 and for an extra £4 get 3 rather nicely painted coaches

http://www.ehattons.com/71906/Bachmann_Branchline_30_170_Thames_Clyde_Express_with_Midland_Compound_1000_2_x_corridor_composite_3rd_brak/StockDetail.aspx

Seems like a no-brainer to me and I can't see it helping the NRM to have a pile of engines they can't sell

Edited by Verityboo

It depends on the terms under which the model was produced and who pays for the tooling etc.  In some cases - as we have seen - the NRM have exclusivity for a while (e.g the GWR 'City'), in some cases it is a livery exclusive(e.g. the GCR 8K 2-8-0), and in others it is total exclusivity (e,g, the Deltic prototype).  I have a feeling that there will be more exclusives to come from the NRM as so far they seem to have been fairly successful and they have given us models we wouldn't have seen in the normal run of things.

In the case of the City, the NRM have exclusively sold City of Truro, with the wider releases being Bath and London.

I have just re-read Andy's original review of the NRM "Exclusive" compound and he does mention an unspecified time limit for the exclusive sales rights. However, the NRM are still selling them under the "Exclusive" banner and it is not made clear to consumers that Bachmann have the right to sell the same products in the their main range at a later date.

Bachmann have replied to me refusing to comment on the issue saying it is for the NRM to clarify. Not an unfair response I suppose given the apparent nature of the deal with the NRM if it really is time limited. However it does leave the consumer confused and annoyed by the lack of transparency.

Let's not get carried away with definitions of exclusivity. When you purchase an NRM exclusive, you are making a donation to a very worthy museum, for which you receive a very fine model.

I don't see a problem with that.

This program with the NRM caused a GWR City to be produced. Hooray!  STEAM caused a GWR Star to be produced. Hooray!

If the manufacturers have contracts in place where they can then extend this tooling to more livery variants, then life just gets better and better.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1

I totally agree that full RRP for a worth museum is fine 

However its the postage that really gets on my nerves not only is it FULL cost. It is also, in my experience of buying City and Deltic (on its first run), hellishly slow.

I almost bought Hornbys Lode star from STEAM but was put off by the horrendous postage ( i also felt it was quite expensive in itself but it was mainly the postage)

Cheerho 

The royal 47 was also an NRM exclusive, but the tooling already existed in the main range. It was just a livery variation, if they were to produce the second 47 in the same livery, I would imagine that might lead to problems with regard to the exclusivity aspect. I would suspect that the compound in the train pack doesn't have the same livery details as the NRM one which is based on it as preserved rather than in service.

Cheers

J

• RMweb Gold

I totally agree that full RRP for a worth museum is fine 

However its the postage that really gets on my nerves not only is it FULL cost. It is also, in my experience of buying City and Deltic (on its first run), hellishly slow.

I almost bought Hornbys Lode star from STEAM but was put off by the horrendous postage ( i also felt it was quite expensive in itself but it was mainly the postage)

Cheerho

So,£4:95 postage is "horrendous"......excuse me? My own experience of ordering and purchasing from the NRM and Locomtion has been positive,as was my experience with Steam Swindon.

Incidentally,if postage is at "full cost",why should that not be the case ? If you wish to carp over postage costs,take a good look at what some are charging for postage on e-bay. It should be remembered that both museums are not commercial organisations but museums.

Personally I have no problem with the idea of a limited time exclusivity and it wouldn't discourage me from buying through the NRM. It is true that thanks to the NRM we now have available ready to run locomotives in pre-grouping liveries that we probably wouldn't otherwise have. My gripe concerns the selling of these products as exclusives without indicating that the exclusivity is limited and continuing to sell them as such beyond that period when they are announced as being available on general release.

Does the NRM benefit in the same way now that sales are handled by Locomotion?

And please add me to the list of folk that are grateful for the limited editions. I still marvel at City of Truro. Fantastic model at any price.

• Like 1