New train sets and Gift Packs

Paul.Uni

• RMweb Gold

Hi Keith

Well well now there's a surprise - fitted with a Loksound Select !  - will have a look at the manual/Loksound site.  Have you run it, are you happy with the sound quality/functions etc ? 

Thanks for the info

Not sure if it is still the case ?, but with the Select your stuck with whatever sound/s are loaded, like em or not, as it's not possible to reblow it, apart from perhaps a complete sound file from the ESU website via a Lokprogrammer, and these are mainly for American locos.

Regards

Ken

Hello Ken,

Just had 37418 out on the track and after a few circuits round the track pleased to advise that all seems ok. The sounds are good and, as far as I can tell, are in the same league other standard fitted Bachmann sound locos...... presumably a standard ESU LokSound sound decoder. It's streaks ahead of the Bachmann "Sound-Value" decoders used in their American locos (of which I've got a couple).

Pic of 37418 before it started it's test run:

post-586-0-15705300-1412515584.jpg

.....and later parked-up in the EMU sidings meeting some of its new friends:

post-586-0-74341600-1412515617.jpg

Must try to find the other Mk.2 Tourist Coaches so can see how 37418 performs on a six coach train.....and maybe more if I can find the older Lima Mk.1 Tourist Coaches as well. Now, where are those boxes :scratchhead: .

In the meantime it's a nice warm sunny day down here in the far south east corner so it's out to the garden to deal with some more weeds... :imsohappy:

Keith

• Like 2

Hello Ken,

Just had 37418 out on the track and after a few circuits round the track pleased to advise that all seems ok. The sounds are good and, as far as I can tell, are in the same league other standard fitted Bachmann sound locos...... presumably a standard ESU LokSound sound decoder. It's streaks ahead of the Bachmann "Sound-Value" decoders used in their American locos (of which I've got a couple).

Pic of 37418 before it started it's test run:

attachicon.gifHighlander-01.jpg

.....and later parked-up in the EMU sidings meeting some of its new friends:

attachicon.gifHighlander-02.jpg

Must try to find the other Mk.2 Tourist Coaches so can see how 37418 performs on a six coach train.....and maybe more if I can find the older Lima Mk.1 Tourist Coaches as well. Now, where are those boxes :scratchhead: .

In the meantime it's a nice warm sunny day down here in the far south east corner so it's out to the garden to deal with some more weeds... :imsohappy:

Keith

Keith

Thanks for the info/photos - 418 certainly looks good, and it would appear, sounds well also - I'm tempted !   

No sun up 'ere - cold/cloudy and windy - first snow of the winter fell on the Cairngorms yesterday !!   I'll leave the forthcoming "frost" to deal with any of my surviving weeds etc !

Cheers

Ken

• RMweb Gold

Received the Highlander set today from Kernow (great service as always, only ordered yesterday)

Really impressed the the loco, its sounds and the coaches too (will have to dig out the 2 other highland coaches I have somewhere)

I have made a quick video to demonstate some of the sounds etc here

• Like 3

Received the Highlander set today from Kernow (great service as always, only ordered yesterday)

Really impressed the the loco, its sounds and the coaches too (will have to dig out the 2 other highland coaches I have somewhere)

I have made a quick video to demonstate some of the sounds etc here

Mine arrived courtesy of UK mail this evening and I've been playing with it for the last couple of hours, this being my first venture into DCC, never mind sound. Very impressed so far! I've 37417 as released the other year, but when I took delivery I replaced the sound chip with the blank - that process will be reversed tomorrow!

Still not convinced about steam locomotives with DCC sound though, perhaps it's the lack of visual stimuli more than anything else, although it seems to suit diesels very well.

Edited by Bon Accord

• RMweb Premium

I picked my Highland set up yesterday from my local shop. I had to look at four sets before purchasing.

The first 37 wobbled quite badly and half the fan grill was loose, the second and third 37's the bodies didn't sit level.

There was a bigger gap above one bogie than the gap over the other bogie and also the body didn't seem to sit low enough to cover the chassis correctly.

It was quite noticeable.

Has anyone else noticed any of these issues?

I am pleased with the set I purchased in the end though.

• RMweb Premium

Like Jim, mine is a first venture into DCC of any kind and so far I'm impressed too. I was actually planning to buy a 37 to renumber as 418 and when the set came out the temptation was too much! Having had a dabble I can see there is no going back even for the small dioramas which is where my interest lies.

Also echoing the comments about sounds for steam engines. To me it just doesn't work, somehow doesn't convey the mass. There are of course many more visual effects with steam but I'm wondering how to produce two columns of black clag on the 37!

Trevor

PS Gold star service from Kernow as usual!

• Like 1

Like Jim, mine is a first venture into DCC of any kind and so far I'm impressed too. I was actually planning to buy a 37 to renumber as 418 and when the set came out the temptation was too much! Having had a dabble I can see there is no going back even for the small dioramas which is where my interest lies.

Also echoing the comments about sounds for steam engines. To me it just doesn't work, somehow doesn't convey the mass. There are of course many more visual effects with steam but I'm wondering how to produce two columns of black clag on the 37!

Trevor

PS Gold star service from Kernow as usual!

I'm sure there was an article in a magazine which did do a working clag with a motor and a smoke generator, that when the Lima class 37 moved off the motor spun up and forced out the clag, I may still have the article somewhere. It wasn't as black as the real thing, but with DCC sound i'm sure it would look and sound good.

Regards

Roy

• Like 1

I'm sure there was an article in a magazine which did do a working clag with a motor and a smoke generator, that when the Lima class 37 moved off the motor spun up and forced out the clag, I may still have the article somewhere. It wasn't as black as the real thing, but with DCC sound i'm sure it would look and sound good.

Regards

Roy

I would like to know more about this, please do post if you find out where the article was

• RMweb Gold

Fan driven smoke units are available for O gauge here

http://www.peterclarkkits.com/smoke-units--lighting-kits.html

But I have not seen such a system for 4mm scale, considering how full diesels with sound already are it would certainly be a challenge. If someone was modelling a depot, or where haulage power was not a priority, it would be possible to disconnect the power to one bogie and cut away the bogie top & metal chassis block around it to create some space?

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed the Midland Compound in LMS red was for sale recently (removed from a train set). Can anyone tell me which outlet it was as I could do with one now.... (I've probably left it too late)...

It still shows on Rails site:  https://railsofsheffield.com/thames-clyde-express-midland-compound-1000-unboxed-locomotive-30-170-loco-JJJA27062.aspx

Livery is actually MR though and it represents the preserved loco, which is why I passed on it.

John

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Rails of Sheffield have had some  of '30-325 'Ambulance Train No.40' come in stock so have posted pictures of the actual set.

https://railsofsheffield.com/ambulance-train-no-40-collectable-train-pack-30-325-JJJA26068.aspx

I have not seen them in the flesh but do feel that the coaches being the older molding look very plastic and lack detail. Most disappointing is the ends of the coaches! As the picture on the pack shows a flat end with little raised detail. however both end coaches in the pack appear to have the corridor connectors doors simply stuck on the side of the coach then painted over.

The City loco looks nice however but is the livery accurate?

I will have to see this in the flesh before i buy it.

Really wish the N gauge ww1 set was going to be in OO too.

• RMweb Gold

The coaches also seem to have changed colour from maroon to green. I believe the loco livery is correct for a machine commandeered by the state for war duties.

But is it the correct machine? GWR sleuths,help,please. I am probably alone in thinking it's an attractive package.Nurse.....bedpan,quick !

Must say that set does look superb! My only query is, is it a limited edition (come with a certificate and batch number) or will they be making more? :scratchhead: Sorry if it sound it sounds a bit of a stupid question :jester: . Plus would be great to see some pictures if anyone has got there hands on one already!  :locomotive:

The coaches are LMS Period I.  A great many of these were seconded for ambulance use in the war.  Essery & Jenkinson's LMS Coaches discusses these in a couple of places but we are not told whether the WD painted them (olive) green.  The two pictures in the book show a red cross on white ground but this is in line with the windows.  There is numbering on the ends which could be set nos., however, not the huge numbers shown in the model?  I'm not claiming the model is wrong, just waiting for someone with additional knowledge to provide more info.

John