New train sets and Gift Packs

Paul.Uni

As a point of consideration on splitting of packs etc it's worth bearing in mind Bachmann's statement as follows:

PRESS STATEMENT

We are receiving complaints from customers that items sold in recently released train sets are being sold separately and as a result are being damaged in transit from the dealer to them. They are being sold without adequate packaging as the individual components are intended to fit into specially designed foam trays within each box to hold each of the items securely.

The items are intended to be sold as complete sets through our dealerships and were not designed to be split to allow the sale of individual components. Train sets and train packs have long been the route for many into the model railway hobby and the release of them in recent weeks has been to coincide with the traditionally busy period leading up to Christmas for our dealers.

We would like to remind those purchasing these individual items of the terms of our warranty conditions. Item 7 on page 2 of our warranty document included with the sets reads as follows (the relevant section has been highlighted for clarity):

7.    The warranty is on the original product in its entirety and does not extend to individual components removed from the product. In the case of train sets the warranty applies to motorised units and controllers only.

Therefore any items damaged in transit, which have been split from sets or train packs will not be covered by warranty and will need to be returned to the dealer from which they were purchased for exchange or refund.

Obviously it's not illegal for a trader to split packs but they must then bear the responsibility for the condition of the item remaining intact when it reaches the customer. A customer's statutory rights with the seller remain unaffected but it does mean that the manufacturer cannot accept responsibility for items which have been sent in packaging they not provided for shipping purposes.

So; buyer beware and at least take the time to ask what the 'split' item/s will be packaged in for shipment to hopefully minimise the risk.

I highly doubt any reputable dealer would ship any loco or coach in anything less then what would protect it. I have bought items split from packs before and never had a problem. While some may have had problems I would be willing to bet they are the very small minority and it would never happen with a reputable dealer. Sounds like Bachmann's statement was, while factual, more like an attempt to sway people from buying just what they want and having to buy a complete set or pack. Just sayin'.

Sounds like Bachmann's statement was, while factual, more like an attempt to sway people from buying just what they want and having to buy a complete set or pack. Just sayin'.

It followed a complaint about a damaged item and enquiries determined that it had been split from a set by a retailer and shipped with less than adequate packaging, the customer expecting the manufacturer to resolve an issue which was caused by the retailer's actions. 'Just sayin'.

Thanx for clarifying that for me, Andy. Silly me focused more on Bachmann's response then on their reason for their response to begin with even though I read the whole statement. My bad! :( I just did what I hate that other people do. lol I stand corrected and appropriately embarrassed. 

I'm puzzled by one thing about this set, the loco, Midland Compound 1000, looks as if it is the same model as 31-390NRM, sold by locomotion models as an "NRM exclusive edition" for £145.  If Bachmann are effectively remaindering the loco by putting it in a set with some older coaches  (and it can then be bought for £89 split from those sets) then it doesn't look as if the NRM one is actually exclusive to them. Doesn't seem to have happened with other locos like the prototype deltic. Curious.

• RMweb Gold

I'm puzzled by one thing about this set, the loco, Midland Compound 1000, looks as if it is the same model as 31-390NRM, sold by locomotion models as an "NRM exclusive edition" for £145.  If Bachmann are effectively remaindering the loco by putting it in a set with some older coaches  (and it can then be bought for £89 split from those sets) then it doesn't look as if the NRM one is actually exclusive to them. Doesn't seem to have happened with other locos like the prototype deltic. Curious.

I suspect the Midland Compound might have been a slow seller as it has sat on the NRM's website for considerably longer than their other exclusives - so maybe they have done some sort of deal with Bachmann?

That's a good point Bill.  So, if it was a slow seller it wasn't because it is a poor model.  My suspicion is that, representing the preserved version as it does and therefore not being a "proper" Midland loco, it found limited appeal among modellers.  It doesn't appeal to me although I would buy the red LMS version in a heartbeat.

John

The box for thames clyde express does acknowledge the nrm on the front of the box which could well mean Bachmann did a deal. That said it is a nice set & certainly value for money in my opinion.

I think the new train packs are great I've a pre order for the railway children set as I'm a member at Haworth & go often for days out :D

To clarify the position with respect to the Thames-Clyde train pack:

Response from Bachmann Europe Plc

The preserved compound remains exclusive to the National Railway Museum. A number have been used in this set with the full co-operation of the NRM, whose branding appears on the box, to support the traditional Christmas train set market.

The preserved compound has previously appeared in a limited edition set to mark the launch of locomotionmodels.com

It is not the intention either now or in the future to sell any NRM exclusive models individually except through NRM/Locomotion channels.

Dennis Lovett

Public Relations Manager

Bachmann Europe Plc

Thanks for the above, Andy.  My original post was because I wasn't sure what the identity of the model actually was, (as it happens the Kernow e-mail newsletter  arrived later with a picture of the set box and the set loco is on their web site clearly as the preserved 1000). They are just selling the set.  Could have been an LMS liveried version as Brossard would like!

Which said, it's also nice that Bachmann have confirmed that NRM exclusive models (like the C1 that some of us have on order) will only be available through the NRM and Locomotion, having sold (rightly) at a premium.

Edited by railroadbill

• RMweb Premium

Yes , I really like the loco in crimson lake, but didn't appreciate this is a bit of an odd livery. As I understand it the loco is in current preserved Midland livery but paired with period 1 LMS coaches. As such the set is inaccurate and the loco is not appropriate to run alongside my other LMS stock. Really I would also have liked a compound in LMS crimson lake, but even if Bachmann announce one next March it'll probably still be a further year away. So , still swithering. May wait to see if any locos split from sets turn up at exhibitions at a reasonable price. Not paying £140 for one.

I agree with your observations Legend.  Probably, from Bachmann's point of view, as we approach the Christmas season, the set (and others) is aimed at those who have little knowledge of model railways and who will buy this for nephews and grandchildren - it is pretty.  They have to watch their bottom line after all and a profitable Bachmann is good for all of us.

John

I wonder whether Bachmann's statement was quite right? At the time, this news item was published saying that the loco was exclusively available via the NRM. http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/pr1.php?id=302

mremag reported at the time that the model was to be exclusive to the NRM for three years, which hasn't quite elapsed. If I had bought one I would be quite annoyed at it being sold either in a pack or separated for either better value or much less money. It puts into question the exclusivity and premium pricing.

Locomotion Models then say on its homepage " The MIDLAND COMPOUND  is still in stock so don't delay - if you haven't got yours yet don't leave it too long as, like those above, it will soon be sold out!" and further down the page " NRM Exclusive Edition - MIDLAND COMPOUND 1000"

Johnpeter3

• RMweb Premium

Isn't it just as simple as NRM/Bachmann overestimated demand , so they've done a deal where Bachmann utilise some of remaining stock. Personally I think this loco is just too expensive at £140 ( also the main range Bachmann one at about £113 discounted). I would like one but not prepared to spend that. By comparison I just picked up a main range P2 for £110 , so I don't perceive the compound as value for money. A pitch at £95 (below the magic £100) for main range and £115-£120 for limited edition might have been more successful. Add to that that the loco is in as preserved condition , further limiting it's usefulness, and I'm not surprised it's a slow mover. Bring the price down and it will move , as evidenced by people buying them split from sets @£89.

I take the point on being limited edition suddenly more widely available. I would be really hacked off if after just spent even more money on the Atlantic , £180 if I remember correctly,if this was to suddenly become available at cheaper price. However I think the Atlantic is a different beast , being significantly different from other locos on the market and the only rtr 4-4-2 until Bachmann produce the LBSCR one

• RMweb Premium

I wonder whether Bachmann's statement was quite right? At the time, this news item was published saying that the loco was exclusively available via the NRM. http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/pr1.php?id=302

mremag reported at the time that the model was to be exclusive to the NRM for three years, which hasn't quite elapsed. If I had bought one I would be quite annoyed at it being sold either in a pack or separated for either better value or much less money. It puts into question the exclusivity and premium pricing.

Locomotion Models then say on its homepage " The MIDLAND COMPOUND  is still in stock so don't delay - if you haven't got yours yet don't leave it too long as, like those above, it will soon be sold out!" and further down the page " NRM Exclusive Edition - MIDLAND COMPOUND 1000"

Johnpeter3

Rails of Sheffield wasted no time in splitting the sets and has already sold out of the locomotive on its own. Not sure how Bachmann or Locomotion Models could stop it, but it does make a bit of a mockery Bachmann's statement quoted by Andy Y above that they were being sold in these sets to support the Christmas train set market.

Has anyone seen any news on the Highlander set with the LL 37 & Highland Rail MK2's?

Edited because I found my answer! Now due Oct/Nov if anyone else is interested.

According to the Kernow MRC newsletter 3/10/14 they have the Highlander Set in stock @ £259.99 ? 

According to the Kernow MRC newsletter 3/10/14 they have the Highlander Set in stock @ £259.99 ? 

Had an email last night saying mine has been dispatched. Now to get the other 4 coaches out and wait for the Observation saloon to arrive!!!!

Had an email last night saying mine has been dispatched. Now to get the other 4 coaches out and wait for the Observation saloon to arrive!!!!

Same here, although I've ordered mine from Peters Spares. I've had the four Harburn/Model Rail Mk2s "in stock" for a few years, still in tissue paper in the original delivery box pending some suitable locos to pull them. Well, I've now acquired two Inverness L/L 37/4's plus 26001 in BR Green and 37406/428 in Trainload freight colours which will nicely cover the 1987-1994 period. The last time I saw the coaches in use was Summer 94 with 37428 in charge on one of the short lived "Young Explorer" trains (great idea as they were).

Just need someone to commission some Scotrail/RR liveried Mark 2s from Bachmann and life is complete!

• Like 1

Same here, although I've ordered mine from Peters Spares. I've had the four Harburn/Model Rail Mk2s "in stock" for a few years, still in tissue paper in the original delivery box pending some suitable locos to pull them. Well, I've now acquired two Inverness L/L 37/4's plus 26001 in BR Green and 37406/428 in Trainload freight colours which will nicely cover the 1987-1994 period. The last time I saw the coaches in use was Summer 94 with 37428 in charge on one of the short lived "Young Explorer" trains (great idea as they were).

Just need someone to commission some Scotrail/RR liveried Mark 2s from Bachmann and life is complete!

Hi Jim

Once you receive it, could you confirm if a Loksound 4 decoder has been fitted to 37 418, or perhaps the latest Bachmann Soundtraxx "budget" sound ?

TIA

Ken

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jim

Once you receive it, could you confirm if a Loksound 4 decoder has been fitted to 37 418, or perhaps the latest Bachmann Soundtraxx "budget" sound ?

TIA

Ken

Hi Ken,

Got my Highlander set today from Kent Garden Railways at the Folkestone Show and note that the instruction leaflet that comes with the set says that "the full ESU LokSound Select User Guide is availablr to download from www.Bachmann .co.uk"........

Keith

Hi Ken,

Got my Highlander set today from Kent Garden Railways at the Folkestone Show and note that the instruction leaflet that comes with the set says that "the full ESU LokSound Select User Guide is availablr to download from www.Bachmann .co.uk"........

Keith

Hi Keith

Well well now there's a surprise - fitted with a Loksound Select !  - will have a look at the manual/Loksound site.  Have you run it, are you happy with the sound quality/functions etc ? 

Thanks for the info

Not sure if it is still the case ?, but with the Select your stuck with whatever sound/s are loaded, like em or not, as it's not possible to reblow it, apart from perhaps a complete sound file from the ESU website via a Lokprogrammer, and these are mainly for American locos.

Regards

Ken

Edited by tractor_37260