Traeth Mawr -Building Mr Price's house , (mostly)

ChrisN

• RMweb Gold

Checking Alan's Shapeways shop for some GER bits and bobs, I discovered that this is still available: https://www.shapeways.com/product/7EYWMWRSJ/seahamnocab-repaired?optionId=57451360

This is the original 1860s condition, minus the sheet cab, which is too delicate to print.  The Cambrian built cabs later - when, 1890s? - and, of course, there is the familiar GW condition, as depicted in the GEM white-metal body kit.

I note that it has gone down significantly in price.  If I have better cash flow next month ...

According to 'The Cambrian Railways' by Kinder Seaham, the engine that the class of 3 was named after, received its new cab in 1894 when it had a major rebuild.  When the others did I have not been able to find out.  Now if one had a rebuild after 1895......

• RMweb Gold

Further to the last post, the RTCS book on Absorbed Engines in the GWR says that the cabs probably were put on in the 1880s but did not say it with any certainty, also C. C. Green did not mention the cab being part of the 1894 rebuild even though he mentioned everything else.

The two pictures I have seen of Seaham are in 1882 with the wrap over protection, and in 1894 with a full cab so sometime between these two dates, and probably the others were done in the same time period, not that I have ever seen any photos of the other two.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, Chris.

So, presumably, you need the cab version.  This, I suspect, is what is not currently available from Coast Line?

James,

You are correct but I did get one when it was available.  It is also in FUD, and yes the finish is a lotter finer than WSF which I have the 4-4-0 in.  I have not tried dropping it to see exactly how brittle it is.  The only FXD I have is for bowler hats and boaters.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It is also in FUD, and yes the finish is a lotter finer than WSF which I have the 4-4-0 in.  I have not tried dropping it to see exactly how brittle it is.  The only FXD I have is for bowler hats and boaters.

I have just asked my wife to read this sentence over my shoulder, to see if she could make sense of it. Perhaps I shouldn't have. She now thinks we are madder than ever.  :)

I have just asked my wife to read this sentence over my shoulder, to see if she could make sense of it. Perhaps I shouldn't have. She now thinks we are madder than ever.  :)

T S Eliot once observed that poetry can communicate before it is understood.  

I must be more prosaically minded, because I understood Chris perfectly!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

The coach builds look interesting Chris and the figures are splendid as usual... It's nice to see a growing population.

Thank you.  I have been doing something recently but mostly painting figures, pictures soon - hopefully as everything is painfully slow at the moment.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well it is probably about time that I posted something although very little modelling has been done.  Holidays have been one issue, general business the other.  I went to the land of EM gauge for about a week.

post-11508-0-08759400-1500039963_thumb.jpg

No it is not a dual gauge line, they are check rails to stop the train 'falling in the water' if it derails.  The extra width was noticeable as you went over level crossings. 

We came back via Wales, well we went that way as well but what I mean is we stayed a couple of days, went on both the Ffestiniog and the Talyllyn, walked over Barmouth Bridge but also went to

post-11508-0-61272500-1500040264_thumb.jpg

And you thought it was fictitious!

I took pictures of Mr Price's house which although is probably a two up two down it was bigger than I thought.  The Barmouth Station Master who lived in one that was similar had more space with his wife and 8 children than I thought.

What modelling I have done has mainly been figure painting although I have had little time to do it anyway.  When I finish this batch I will post pictures of them, a number of loco crew and a project you all thought I had forgotten about/ignored/ never started.

However this arrived yesterday

post-11508-0-48833100-1500040634_thumb.jpg

No I have not gone all South Coast.  If you follow Blue Lightening's thread you will see we had a discussion about this Family Luggage Saloon.  Ten years before the time of his layout the posh family in his area came to see the 'Young Englishman' who lives up the valley at Ty Mawr and hired this coach.  The kit before I got it I assumed would have everything and would be thrown together quickly.  Now none of the following is any criticism of the kit as it is a really nice kit and quite cheap.  It needs the floor making plus a roof making which has the same type of rain strips as on my Parliamentary Coach.  So some proper modelling will be required.  Why did I not know about the floor and the roof?  Well there was a list of what was in it and what was not and the list of what was in it was fairly long so I read the first couple of items then stopped.  So my fault. 

More to say but have to dash.

If you have been, thanks for looking.

Edited by ChrisN
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Intriguing! I do like it when the line between reality and modelling fantasy is blurred.

Nice kits fom 5&9. Did you get them via regular mail order? I ask because I thought he only sold through ebay now.

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If you follow Blue Lightening's thread you will see we had a discussion about this Family Luggage Saloon.  Ten years before the time of his layout the posh family in his area came to see the 'Young Englishman' who lives up the valley at Ty Mawr and hired this coach.

Yay, the cross over reaches Traeth Mawr!!! I have been working on a back story for the family including why they visited your layout, I will PM it over to you once I have worked on it a bit more.

Gary

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Intriguing! I do like it when the line between reality and modelling fantasy is blurred.

Nice kits fom 5&9. Did you get them via regular mail order? I ask because I thought he only sold through ebay now.

Hi Mikkel,

Chris Cox of 5&9 models had a price list in the back of the latest issue of the LB&SCR Modellers Digest and he is also active on here. He does accept orders now which I believe is a recent thing although he may have done it for a while.

Gary

• Like 2

Hi Mikkel,

Chris Cox of 5&9 models had a price list in the back of the latest issue of the LB&SCR Modellers Digest and he is also active on here. He does accept orders now which I believe is a recent thing although he may have done it for a while.

Gary

Yes, and this is very good news.

I have to save for an Alan Gibson order, and then for a Shapeways order, but, then, I really would like to put in a 5&9 order.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mikkel,

Gary

Yes, and this is very good news.

I have to save for an Alan Gibson order, and then for a Shapeways order, but, then, I really would like to put in a 5&9 order.

Hi,

I emailed him about the time the time the digest appeared and asked about his figures and if he thought the carriage would have lasted until 1895.  He replied by the next day and I ordered the kits and the figures.  He said he was busy and it would take a couple of weeks and would be ready by yesterday.  In the end I had an email last Monday and as I was away did not pay until Tuesday night, he sent on Wednesday and I received it on Thursday morning.  I am most pleased.  The kits are nice.  They have some flash but not excessive.  I will do a build talk through when I do it.  It will need wheels which is the only thing I think I will need to buy although I have 14mm Maunsell wheels, although I am not sure if that is correct and the instructions do not say.  It says you need pin point bearings  but I am sure I can see some in the bits bag.  Oh yes, and transfers  All this for £15.00.  Chris takes payment by PayPal.

I will probably make a list of wagons up before Christmas, order them and give them to my wife so that she can give them to me as a present.  (We are very practical in my family.)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Yay, the cross over reaches Traeth Mawr!!! I have been working on a back story for the family including why they visited your layout, I will PM it over to you once I have worked on it a bit more.

Gary

Gary,

That is good news.  The 'Young Englishman' as the locals call him is a Businessman who bought Ty Mawr from the Earl of Dyreath who used it as his summer home.  The Earl is the Father of the Viscount who is leading the parade along Station Road, and also the Headmistress of the girl's school.  In 1895 he became engaged to a young lady from the school but did not marry her for a couple of years as her father disapproved.  Her mother was not so worried as he had money and a big house in the country.  He also has a house in South Kensington.  He claims it was not as expensive as you think, as like Ty Mawr he bought it below what it had been put on the market for.  I have no idea what sort of business he is in except he does several different things.

As for the carriage I realised once I got it as I did not know if it survived I had no idea if it would have received brakes.  It is possible, even though all unfitted carriages should have been removed by 1894 that your man could only afford this and it went on the back of various trains until it reach the Cambrian system at either Whitchurch, (LNWR), or Dolgelley, (GWR) where they still had the occasional unfitted passenger train and would not have batted an eyelid  Any information on how long it actually lasted would be good if anyone knows, if not it will remain unfitted.

Even though it is down as a Family Saloon it actually has two compartments, both First, pus two luggage compartments, so not actually saloon like.  There is an HMRS drawing but I am not keen enough to buy it.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Very helpful info Chris, I had been through your thread looking for as much background about him as I could when I started writing the backstory. Now it's all in one place!!

Gary

Gary,

Just a bit more.  He was born in 1863.  He went to the Prep School part of Darnley Boy's College which is also in Traeth Mawr when he was 11, and stayed on to the senior school eventually becoming a Senior Prefect.  When he left he went into his father's business but at the age of 21 he inherited some money and branched out successfully on his own.  He bought Ty Mawr in 1888 as no one else wanted to buy it from the Earl so he was able to offer a lower price for it but it did need a lot of work on it.  He eventually married in 1897 and they had three sons.

His connection with Lady Eldin was that she had asked him to award scholarships for poor girls going to her school, which he gave two each year.  Lady Eldin asked her as she had asked the local 'Round Table' who had not responded and she knew that they would in embarrassment because he, not even being a local had done so.

I am not sure there is much more that is relevant.  All this of course is freely available if you know which history books to get from the local library.  ;)

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Chris 

It is usual to get the bearings supplied with the wheels in 0 gauge and the Maygib wheels I have in EM gauge came with bearings (about 35 years ago!) do they not do so in 00?

Don

• Like 1

It will need wheels which is the only thing I think I will need to buy although I have 14mm Maunsell wheels, although I am not sure if that is correct and the instructions do not say.  It says you need pin point bearings  but I am sure I can see some in the bits bag. 

If you don't find bearing cups, Alan Gibson will sell you a bag of 40 for, IIRC, about £3.20. 

If only I could find my bag!

• RMweb Gold

Chris 

It is usual to get the bearings supplied with the wheels in 0 gauge and the Maygib wheels I have in EM gauge came with bearings (about 35 years ago!) do they not do so in 00?

Don

If you don't find bearing cups, Alan Gibson will sell you a bag of 40 for, IIRC, about £3.20. 

If only I could find my bag!

But there are at least three different types - flangless, tapered and standard. Make sure you know which ones you want as 40 is a lot to get through.

Jonathan

Thank you all for your comments.  The packet says that there are no bearings but there are some in the bits.  As it happens I bought some top hat bearings from Dart Castings at Expo South.  (I got there in the end.)  Forty may seem a lot but it is only ten four wheeled vehicles, or six, six wheeled and one four.  I am not going to count how many I have on the go at the moment but it would not be too many.

• Like 2

But there are at least three different types - flangless, tapered and standard. Make sure you know which ones you want as 40 is a lot to get through.

Jonathan

Do you have any guidance on which one should want?  I tend to go for the 'waisted' type, since the narrow ends are easier to fit inside cosmetic axle boxes.

• Like 1