Nile's Mostly Freelance Bodging Bench - Pre-Grouping Locos

A bit more done. Roxey couplings added to the ends.

attachicon.gif41.JPG

I added footboards to the bogies using microstrip (20x79thou).

attachicon.gif40.JPG

On the bogie on the left I had filed the central boss down too far, so I've added some thin plastic card as a replacement.

The interior of the third class coach was given a uniform coat of brown before adding the glazing and seats.

attachicon.gif39.JPG

This is the first class coach assembled.

attachicon.gif42.JPG

And this is the third class one.

attachicon.gif43.JPG

I've glazed the clerestories with glue'n'glaze.

beautiful

Then you might just like these photos. I put the three coaches together in a train.

attachicon.gif50.JPG

One of those photos were 'like' just doesn't do justice. 

Add some 'steam' and put it into black and white or sepia and you'd be hardpressed to tell it is a model.  It would look very well with a full brake on the tail and a couple of horse boxes or perishables vans behind the tender. 

Then you might just like these photos. I put the three coaches together in a train.

I could do with a brake coach to go with them, that will be next.

If your chopping Triang clerestory's up have you got any brake ends left over? you could do what I've done and put two left over brake end sections back to back to make a nice 6 wheel full brake which will work perfectly with your rake, check out the third photo on this post.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/78165-steves-caledonian-coaches-wagon-work-bench/?p=1749971

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

That's the plan, eventually. I'll have a proper look at your post later. Meanwhile I've made a start on a couple of brake thirds. this is the progress so far.

post-6821-0-34505200-1471300009_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

I shall return to these coaches when there has been some more progress. Meanwhile...

I've been messing about with Oxford Rail wagons again, this time a pair of LNER 6 plank opens. The brake gear on these is wrong, so I've corrected that. I also converted one to 10ft wheelbase, I thought it more likely to survive until 1960.

The chassis comes apart like their other wagons, by removing the buffers.

1. Fixing the brake gear on the 9ft wb one. I removed the brake shoe assemblies, cut off the V hanger from one and refitted it the other way round. New V hangers (from the spares box) were glued to the chassis. Some brass rod links all the bits together and gives them strength. There's a bit of plastic rod on the outside of the nearest V, this represents the cam mechanism.

post-6821-0-65265500-1471619253_thumb.jpg

Re-assembled and painted, this is what the brake gear should look like.

post-6821-0-28263500-1471619255_thumb.jpg

2. Converting to 10ft wb.  After removing the weight (it's glued in) I cut 2mm off each end of the chassis, then cut it in half. I glued it back together with a 4mm insert in the middle.

post-6821-0-98623700-1471619240_thumb.jpg

Rebuilding the brake gear is a bit more complicated as it has to be lengthened, I used bits of microstrip. I managed to recycle the original V hangers. It would probably have been easier to used bits from my parts box, but I wanted to reuse as much of the original model as possible.

post-6821-0-70655000-1471619242_thumb.jpg

The levers also need extending, and the lever guides moving to the right. The original mounting hole has been filled with some white plastic.

post-6821-0-82030400-1471619243_thumb.jpg

The two wagons together, showing the difference.

post-6821-0-12617000-1471619251_thumb.jpg

And now the right way up.

post-6821-0-17401600-1471619252_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

• 2 weeks later...

Some very impressive and inspirational work on this thread. From one freelance modeller to another, that coach livery looks awfully familiar... I've been building up a collection of rolling stock for the Great Southern Railway (of England, not Ireland) and here is a snapshot of my paint shops right now.

post-793-0-72614900-1472898767_thumb.jpg

Those Hornby clerestories are very kit-bashable, aren't they?

• Like 14

Some very impressive and inspirational work on this thread. From one freelance modeller to another, that coach livery looks awfully familiar... I've been building up a collection of rolling stock for the Great Southern Railway (of England, not Ireland) and here is a snapshot of my paint shops right now.

attachicon.gif_20160903_113151.JPG

Those Hornby clerestories are very kit-bashable, aren't they?

Great work.  I particularly like the bottom-right clerestory; it looks like you have given it an internal corridor?

Great work.  I particularly like the bottom-right clerestory; it looks like you have given it an internal corridor?

Indeed I have, by the simple expedient of sawing out the panels between the windows! Some external gangways will be added too.

Smiffy2: Funnily enough I have an AM&SPHR wagon already! Please tell me there will be a PO "night soil" wagon marked up with the name of Harry King...

Eventually, and some treacle tankers. Just finished Vetinari's personal coach (Hornby 4 wheeler with clerestory roof) but trying to get the all-black thing right, and a troll coach. Next up is a double-decker dwarf coach.

• Like 3

Indeed I have, by the simple expedient of sawing out the panels between the windows! Some external gangways will be added too.

Hmm, that gives me a couple of ideas.  I might just go dig out a couple of old Railway Modellers with drawings of GCR London Extension stock....

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Nice work with those coaches. The corridor conversion is interesting, something I've looked at in the past and might revisit.

That loco looks like a GBL conversion, using a Hornby/Triang chassis? I have a few of those C class locos to play with and I've just started on one. The main mod is to swap the splashers around so that the sandboxes are at the front. This makes it look a lot less like a SECR loco.

post-6821-0-43004900-1472993553_thumb.jpg

This will stay as a static model for now, with the possibility to motorise it later.

There has also been some progress on the coaches, most of the painting is done.

post-6821-0-43996500-1472993554_thumb.jpg

Still lots of little jobs to do before completion.

• Like 10

Nice work with those coaches. The corridor conversion is interesting, something I've looked at in the past and might revisit.

That loco looks like a GBL conversion, using a Hornby/Triang chassis? I have a few of those C class locos to play with and I've just started on one. The main mod is to swap the splashers around so that the sandboxes are at the front. This makes it look a lot less like a SECR loco.

I did consider swapping them around, but the Hornby chassis (with a chunk cut off the rear!) as a quick, cheap and cheerful motorisation attempt. Sadly the wheels are slightly too large and the spacing is not *quite* right - the centre wheels are a touch too far forward which is hidden a little by the sandboxes in the middle. I have enough of these C classes kicking around (still another 3!) that I'll probably have a go at building my own chassis some time to fit properly, and then moving splashers and the like around will be possible, as well as having under-boiler daylight.

The main work required for the loco was slicing the rear off the chassis, cuutting a slot in the running plate and dremel-ing away very slightly the top of the boiler to allow the very high-seated motor to fit. How on earth they got that motor to fit in a Jinty I'll never know.

As for the coaching stock, it looks like the LMWR and GSR may have had a CME in common... That and there is a Triang Nellie here, which, along with another clerestory might become a railmotor, but that's another story! Where did you get your 3d printed seats from?

• RMweb Premium

"Where did you get your 3d printed seats from?"

From a 3d printer of course! I have access to a basic one that can make things like that, but isn't good enough for whole models. I'll leave that to Shapeways. I drew the design myself based on the Ratio seating part.

I've had similar thoughts about a railmotor, but using parts from a K's autocoach. Yet another one on the to-do list.

Edited by Nile
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Not a lot of progress as its been too hot inside to do any serious work. On the coaches I fitted the glazing strips, then refitted them as they were too high and interfered with the roof. The seats were glued in and the roof fitted. And that's about it. Here is one sitting on its bogies, awaiting further work.

post-6821-0-62724700-1473366508_thumb.jpg

The loco has been given a new coat of paint, Reading green.

post-6821-0-74718500-1473366509_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Some progress at last.

The bogies had footboards glued to them, made from 20x79 thou microstrip. I'd already painted them black when I took the photo.

Also visible are the V hangers I made from 30 thou square microstrip, I have a sort of jig for making them, I could do with making a proper one.

post-6821-0-79107800-1474039429_thumb.jpg

The truss rod assembly was cut up as before and glued to the underside. Vacuum brake cylinders were made from 7mm plastic tube.

post-6821-0-58558600-1474039428_thumb.jpg

On the ends are the original brass buffers and some white metal pipes from the 51L range (LNWR type). Roxey screw couplings will be added later.

post-6821-0-54444800-1474039427_thumb.jpg

Brake gear made up from those V hangers plus some plastic rod.

post-6821-0-46563000-1474039426_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nile
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Some black paint on the brake gear, and then all the parts were put together. This is the result.

post-6821-0-02060600-1474194410_thumb.jpg

post-6821-0-16667500-1474194409_thumb.jpg

The other coach looks the same, apart from the wheels.

A close up of the middle bit shows what can be seen of the brake gear.

post-6821-0-27889800-1474194408_thumb.jpg

And then I noticed I hadn't painted the handrails. Some brass paint will sort that out and then they will be finished.

This is the LMWR main line fleet so far.

post-6821-0-01408500-1474194407_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

There will be more coaches later, but now I want to do some goods stock for my freelance railways.

Open wagons are easy, the various private owner types made by Slaters and Cambrian can be used. Vans are trickier as all the kits available are railway company specific. But then I found this, an old Triang model.

post-6821-0-51838300-1475529276_thumb.jpg

I don't know if it is based on a specific prototype but it seems fairly generic to me, and adaptable.

After a bit of agro the chassis was removed and discarded, leaving just the body and roof.

post-6821-0-56406900-1475529275_thumb.jpg

Because one side of the body was slightly warped I fitted these props to straighten things out a bit.

post-6821-0-35642100-1475529274_thumb.jpg

On the underside I've glued the chassis parts from an old Cambrian kit, shortened slightly to fit.

post-6821-0-21642100-1475529273_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nile
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Independent brake gear fitted to both sides, which vaguely line up with the wheels (Romford I think).

post-6821-0-60415700-1475702172_thumb.jpg

This is what it looks like the right way up.

post-6821-0-77354100-1475702174_thumb.jpg

On the ends I've fashioned some vents from bits of plastic card, stuck between the uprights. There is a gap at the bottom so that it does actually look like a vent from below.

post-6821-0-59746700-1475702173_thumb.jpg

Fast forward a few days and this is what it looks like after the addition of some paint and transfers.

post-6821-0-87943500-1475702175_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Independent brake gear fitted to both sides, which vaguely line up with the wheels (Romford I think).

attachicon.gif05.JPG

This is what it looks like the right way up.

attachicon.gif07.JPG

On the ends I've fashioned some vents from bits of plastic card, stuck between the uprights. There is a gap at the bottom so that it does actually look like a vent from below.

attachicon.gif06.JPG

Fast forward a few days and this is what it looks like after the addition of some paint and transfers.

attachicon.gif08.JPG

The old Triang-Hornby bodies are quite passable - I'm doing something similar with bodies from the so-called Hull & Barnsley van and Cambrian Gloucester 9' underframes to produce a rake of D&SJR Biscuit Vans for traffic from Bingley, Gardiner & Co's factory (home of the famous "Longbourn" tea-biscuit) on the Kympton branch. I'm not sure I dare post these on my pre-grouping wagon thread!

• RMweb Gold

The old Triang-Hornby bodies are quite passable - I'm doing something similar with bodies from the so-called Hull & Barnsley van and Cambrian Gloucester 9' underframes to produce a rake of D&SJR Biscuit Vans for traffic from Bingley, Gardiner & Co's factory (home of the famous "Longbourn" tea-biscuit) on the Kympton branch. I'm not sure I dare post these on my pre-grouping wagon thread!

They are also very useful as grounded bodies on layouts, being non-specific as to age and prototype.

A good way to avoid unintended howlers like the (otherwise excellent) mid-1950s branch terminus I remember seeing years ago that featured a grounded Vanwide in the yard (the prototype not even having been built until the early 1960s).

John