Hornby's Best Ever Models

robmcg

• RMweb Gold

There were a pair of kittens lurking around outside today, a tortoiseshell and a black and white.  They were pretending to be chasing grashoppers, and watching the bird table for a snack, but now I know.  It was a stakeout!

Go with the Bachmann Class 4, it'll be less controversial....    :O

And it'll take less room.  The Baccy Class 4MT, I mean, not the kittens.

• RMweb Gold

There is a very suspicious grey tabby cat frequenting my house, posing as a rodent exterminator, purring roll-on-back artiste, and general owner of the entire property.

The MiM are indeed cunning.

Off now to see if my V8 still goes well on this fine spring morning, and to work out if there is any value in even more pics of Rivarossi articulated steam locos, or if a Bachmann Standard Class 4 2-6-0 with accessories added will make a nicer subject.   Decision. Decision.

The MiM don't use cats, far to difficult to train...

There were a pair of kittens lurking around outside today, a tortoiseshell and a black and white.  They were pretending to be chasing grashoppers, and watching the bird table for a snack, but now I know.  It was a stakeout!

Go with the Bachmann Class 4, it'll be less controversial....    :O

... or kittens for that matter..

... only one Order was known to use cats - the BOU  :O  :O 

And no a ball of wool won't distract them  :jester:

Pretty as a picture.

A previous-to-the-current generation Princess Coronation class, with editing...

post-7929-0-62781000-1505972324_thumb.jpg

I rather like the two Hornby-weathered Duchesses...  the other is maroon 'City of Nottingham' from memory.

Of course the spray of brown does little to show the rather oily appearance of the class after WCML work , as I suspect they had.

• Like 2

Pretty as a picture.

A previous-to-the-current generation Princess Coronation class, with editing...

I rather like the two Hornby-weathered Duchesses...  the other is maroon 'City of Nottingham' from memory.

Of course the spray of brown does little to show the rather oily appearance of the class after WCML work , as I suspect they had.

The flanged trailing wheel has been noted.

I would include a little more soot along the boiler top but apart from that it looks spot on.

Obvious period before the clean air act!

We certainly model our locos weathered and as its early 60s cleaning was not a priority although certain Duchesses including 'Stanier' always seemed to be well turned out which was encouraging.

Couple of pics of a pair of Hornbys finest after one of our group a certain Mr Mad McCann worked his magic on them and while still displaying their colour and lining the days of squads of cleaners at 12A were in decline.

Dave.

post-2371-0-94031900-1506213489_thumb.jpg

post-2371-0-49226100-1506213504_thumb.jpg

Edited by vitalspark
  • Like 6

Hmmm, I think Rob has a severe case of Stanieritis!!!

The MiM stand ready to cure him ;) :D

I thought the Ivatt rear truck would exonerate me.

Mind you, a severe Stanier-type ague has struck me down. I actually thought of buying an LMS Athol to use the rear truck on a Sir William, thus creating a more 'normal' Princess Coronation, until I thought about the different cab side sheets, cut-off lever housing and no doubt other differences wrought by WW2-influenced Ivatt.  Then I thought, I'll let someone else try that one...

I wonder if the Ivatt trailing truck really did make the last two Duchesses rather poorer riders than the others? I understand the ashpan and engine disposal duties were easier on these two, and the standard Duchess ashpans used to suffer clogging on long runs Euston-Carlisle Crewe-Perth and 'right through' with poorer wartime and post-war coal.  

Perhaps I will do another Rivarossi or Bachmann 4-8-4 to settle my mind and gain sensible perspective....    :) 

Edited by robmcg

although I did do a pic of a NYC  S1a 4-8-4 it was not enough to cure me, and I have embarked on some BR Princess class pics , which do rather lend themselves to photo-editing... and they need quite a bit of it, unlike the newly-tooled Duchess models.

I even bought a factory-weathered R2448 46210 'Lady Patricia' which will do very well as an artistic challenge.

In the meantime here is R2616 46211 'Queen Maud' in an unlikely bucolic setting.

post-7929-0-79039100-1506464935_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Bude was indeed a good subject for Hornby, the prototype had a great and long career.

About the same time as the Bulleid  Light Pacifics were tooled by Hornby in 2001-2, the Stanier Princess was also made, and I have a soft spot for these engines because they represent so much that was right about the LMS under Stanier, (and sometimes wrong). One of the best articles ever written by O S Nock was a description of a footplate ride from Glasgow to London without engine-change, and how hard the crew worked to keep pressure up on the early 1933 design loco, with both the driver and Ossie taking a turn at firing, and there was next to no coal left by Euston.

One wonders if there will be a market for a freshly-tooled version of either or both these Hornby models of 2001, up to the standard of the new Duchess/Princess Coronation.

In the meantime I have taken the liberty of adding details to that standard by my editing.  I have chosen 46210 'Lady Patricia' manufactured in weathered early BR blue livery by Hornby, with a plethora of added small details like lubricators, and tighter clearances around the front bogie as per the new Duchess, but little else, the long and powerful locomotive being in my opinion a very impressive model.

post-7929-0-55164700-1506549879_thumb.jpg

cheers

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 2

The Duchess was one on its own and I always preferred the Lizzies because they looked like 'normal' LMS engines but were so much more impressively bigger. Standing beside one inside Newton Heath shed in 1960 left me in awe. Part of its motion was lying on the concrete it so it must have arrived at Manchester London Road needing attention, and had been dragged or whatever to Newton Heath. Don't ask me the number....I never looked at such things. Somehow, I doubt Hornby will turn their attention to this class any time soon because of the new 'Duchess'.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hornby have said before that the Princess was a totemic model for them and that for this reason they would always want it in their range. Whether such things still apply I don't know but I hope a new model does come from them in the near(ish!) future and maybe the most recent model could have a future in the Railroad range. 

...I reckon a Turbomotive model would be extremely popular as well.

For my money, that's the item - never previously available RTR - that suggests the Princess as one of the leading subjects with an existing model likely to get a remake. In a market stuffed with models and a large pile of s/h in existence, offering something completely new is looking increasingly important.

For some reason the LMS Turbomotive reminds me of a certain LMS publicity-driven design....

post-7929-0-02812800-1506713841_thumb.jpg

but in the current financial circumstances for Hornby not expecting a re-tooled anythng very soon, I am very impressed by efforts taken in choosing the crimson to be used on the unadorned Stanier Princess Coronation class engines as described in the Engineshed.

When I create pictures on my screen I am limited in my accuracy of colour (if indeed there is any such thing as 'exact' in judging colour) by the nature of my original digital photo of a BR crimson Duchess and by the fact that I use a cheap Acer laptop for my editing, the screen of which is poorly regarded by those who know about such things as colour depth and tonal range.

Slight variations in angle of viewing can greatly affect brightness and contrast, I have no idea what my pictures look like on tablets and phones, but they usually come out ok on an iPhone5. 

Here are a couple more BR crimson Duchesses, 46245 and 46248  both beautiful to my eye! Usual liberties taken with just about everything.

46245 is in forward gear just about to move off...

post-7929-0-29867000-1506714475_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-81705800-1506714514_thumb.jpg

cheers,

• Like 4

Why do you think Honrby wouldn't retool anything? Hornby are about making money, if they think thsr retooling some of their old models of extremely popular prototypes, they will, especially as other manufacters could quickly jump and make them to modern standards instead. Hornby will retool the Princess, 8F and Black 5 (plus making the caprotti locos) just because they'll have to, if not they'll miss out on future sales that Bachmann or whoever will get. No manufacture of anything makes money by not making something new.

...(if indeed there is any such thing as 'exact' in judging colour...

Rest assured that there isn't. Colour perception is entirely an artefact of our personal visual systems, and colour as a result cannot be absolute because there is a distribution of perception in the human population. (O level physics revealed this to me: "The Sodium 'D' lines are yellow" says the master, "They are orange" says the pupil; who is promptly informed that for the purposes of the examination they will be yellow. Many years later that was sorted out, I am a divergent trichromat, and have to be 'relaxed' about colour match claims.)