Hawk - The forgotten prototype?

I've always had a soft spot for this loco and although just about every other prototype gets a lot of exposure, poor old Hawk seem to miss out.

Maybe Heljan , who seem to be keen on prototypes, will get round to making one, after all they do the Class 16, which is very similar. Indeed, there's a thought, would it possible to convert a Heljan 16 into Hawk?

steve

• RMweb Premium

I've always had a soft spot for this loco and although just about every other prototype gets a lot of exposure, poor old Hawk seem to miss out.

Maybe Heljan , who seem to be keen on prototypes, will get round to making one, after all they do the Class 16, which is very similar. Indeed, there's a thought, would it possible to convert a Heljan 16 into Hawk?

steve

Hi Steve

Having built both Hawk and several North British Type 1s I agree they look similar but that is where the similarity ends. The bogies from the D84xx could be used, but I don't think the chassis of the Heljan model could be as the running plate is part of the chassis casting and the bogie centres need altering. From memory 10800 has a longer wheelbase. Engine room and cabs are different. I am about to go out so will post a photo of my model of Hawk later.

Ex LMS/LMR Ivatt Bo-Bo diesel 10800 rebuilt by Brush to Hawk, the experimantal AC traction locomotive.

attachicon.gif001b.png

Clive,

I saw HAWK on its inaugural test run on the Midland mainline at Wigston, Leics.

The up slow line was at the bottom of our school playing-field and, one lunchtime, HAWK stopped in Wigston Magna station up slow platform whilst the 'white coats' checked it over.

As we knew nothing of such a loco existing, there were cries of derision from those spotters who had missed it when we reported what we'd seen. Vindication came shortly, thanks to Modern Railways!

One point; HAWK was unique in that it was painted overall in BR Sherwood Green; (the lower, paler green used on Brush Type 4s). It also carried the lettering EXPERIMENTAL LOCOMOTIVE.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

post-2274-0-30450000-1394646162.jpg

post-2274-0-62578600-1394646451.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Clive,

I saw HAWK on its inaugural test run on the Midland mainline at Wigston, Leics.

The up slow line was at the bottom of our school playing-field and, one lunchtime, HAWK stopped in Wigston Magna station up slow platform whilst the 'white coats' checked it over.

As we knew nothing of such a loco existing, there were cries of derision from those spotters who had missed it when we reported what we'd seen. Vindication came shortly, thanks to Modern Railways!

One point; HAWK was unique in that it was painted overall in BR Sherwood Green; (the lower, paler green used on Brush Type 4s). It also carried the lettering EXPERIMENTAL LOCOMOTIVE.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

attachicon.gif10800 HAWK_02.jpg

attachicon.gif10800 HAWK_03 - small.jpg

Hi John

Thanks for the information on Hawk. I know I got the livery wrong. :rtfm:  I found out a few years ago but still haven't got round to painting in Sherwood Green. I have a few Brush 4s nearly ready for painting so it can join the queue. :good:

As for Experimental Locomotive, when I made it there was no one doing the correct transfers. Does anyone do them now? Hint Hint :)

Archived