• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So some news on the layout...

I have been cracking on with some work of recent (although not as much as i would have liked). I have been working on a side project with my younger brother which is coming on nicely and is on schedule to appear at the Twickenham and district model railway club's annual open day in july to show off some more modern stock to excourage some more contemporary modellers to join the club. So anyone who is interested and lives locally to west, or south west london please send me a message and i can give you some more information or you can hold out until an information video on the open day planned is released very soon. I will also post that here.

I have also been working on my mk2 charter which some of you will know that i have a two part series of how i am modifying the rake to make it more realistic and improving certain aspects of the Hornby offering. This is already on youtube. I now plan to add to this, the next step.

I have been working on my hea hopper rake, painting and adjusting colour schemes on some wagons as well as a little weathering.

I have also been working on my engineering rake. I have decided to split this into two different rakes. With one centres more on a ballast / possesion site rake and the other a classic engineering rake (very hit and miss) styled set with a big mixture of wagons with various conditions ranging from a brand new refurbished state to patch work painting and unrecognisable original liveries.

Anyways thats it for now. Hopefully the i will be able to add to the mk2 project series or bring you guys another update soon.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi and welcome to my Layout Thread

This is all about my layout, based in Greater Manchester on the busy WCML from 2002-Present Day.

The layout is currently only a small 6X4 ft in size but will slowly progress into several baseboards arranged around my loft to make a large permanent loft layout.

The layout currently has a double track main line along with double track relief lines, replicating the WCML. These lines serve Ammanford Junction after what the layout is named but the biggest station on the layout, Ammanford Central. With it's 4 platforms, 1 & 2 are on the down and up fasts and see a small amount of stopping services including semi fast Virgin West Coast Services and Arriva Cross Country as well as sister company's Arriva Trains Wales' Premier Service. Platforms 3 & 4 are on the relief lines and see constant commuter services stopping. These include mainly Northern Rail Services but also see London Midland, Arriva Trains Wales, First Transpenine Express East Midland Trains and a few others. As well as all the usual passenger services, infrastructure and freight trains will also be a common sight.

The Layout will also be home to a rural branch line which will cross the WCML and have a station nearby to the Ammanford Central Station and be known as Ammanford Park Station. This line will also house the third station without a name as yet but will have a very 'run-down' theme and be situated in a rural part of the layout next to a rail - accessible scrap yard.

Also on the WCML section, next to the station there will be small TMD. This will be mainly to house a Class 57 for Thunderbird duties. It will also be for Network Rail vehicles. It will have washing facilities, fuelling facilities and a main 2-road diesel shed. The TMD will be non-electrified, although running along side the main line.

I will hopefully be posting my progress on here but will be doing videos as a I build my layout on my Youtube Channel. http://www.youtube.c...VMDFwJKndm4v3TQ

Suggestions, Comments are all welcome and very much appreciated, Thanks Peter/WCML100 @ Ammanford Junction

Looking good, Peter. 

I note from your last youtube video that you're in the Doldrums regarding progress. Fear not, it happens to us all but it's worth finding that Mojo again and persevering with it.

Kind regards

Ed

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUZ6UzCz5S2v43NzhHIK3Hg

Edited by edshunt

Hi everyone,

I am a member of the Twickenham & District Model Railway Club based in South West London.

This coming July the club is holding an Open day and it would be great to see any modellers or enthusiasts alike to come down to the club and have a look around. If your interested in joining the club, its a great opportunity to come down and see what we are all about. We are currently on the look out for some modern image modellers as there a few more needed to kick start a new project of a contemporary layout. But if your just interested to come down for the day please also feel free to do so, there is also a drive a train layout for the kids so you can bring them too! The details you need to know are in this video below. It features some of the layouts at the club as a taster of what you can expect. Myself and my younger brother will be running a modern image stand to help encourage some modern image modellers to join the club but if you live locally please come down and have a look... If you would like to know more please feel free to PM me and i will be happy to have a chat with anyone.

• Like 1

Hi Ben,

I have sent you a PM with more info and inviting you to visit the club.

The club website:- www.tdmrc.org.uk  has more info as well.

Many Thanks for your interest

Steve W

(Chairman.TDMRC)

Whats the details for joining because im 15 and living near kingston

Oh and I do modern image so I'm interested

Hi Ben,

I believe Steve (our clubs chairman) has provided all the necessary information. 

My Brother and I will be providing a modern image 'stand' so feel free to come and have a chat with us if you come along.

Hi Ben,

I have sent you a PM with more info and inviting you to visit the club.

The club website:- www.tdmrc.org.uk  has more info as well.

Many Thanks for your interest

Steve W

(Chairman.TDMRC)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No updates on the layout as such, i have reworked the road slightly at one end as i didn't like the sweeping curve so that will feature in the next update, but apart from that, nothing else. I have been working hard on my wagon fleet, weathering and repainting certain wagons from my HEA hopper rake and my engineering rakes. I have also been helping my younger brother on a side project and trying to get this finished by the time the clubs open day comes around at the end of July! This might also make a feature in the next update but i am not sure as of yet. May have some pictures on the new HEA wagons which have been reworked / weathered / repainted etc on this thread soon...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A small picture update.

this is more of stock weathering update for my HEA Coal Hopper rake.

I have been using simple brush on, wipe off techniques as well as dry brushing effects.

These are no means finished and i will post some more pictures once a few are then finished. Since the photo was taken I have now got a few more added to the rake.

After some research on the topic of these wagons and the haulage of these by EWS / DBS in the mid 2000's to 2012ish they were in very poor condition and although a good number of the vehicle type were painted into EWS corporate colour scheme for this type of wagon, a lot still lived on in very faded versions of BR Railfreight red / grey. Although these are mostly pink and white/grey due to paint fade condition. Some have the railfreight logo painted over and is very obvious as the paint hasnt faded that much on that particular area, whereas some the rebranded railfreight ones have faded as much as the original colour. The next most common colour is the Mainline blue with similar variants to the railfreight colour scheme such as the various amount of paint faded on them as well as the different ways they have been debranded. The few odd liveries found in the rake are Railfreight Distribution Grey and Dark olive as well as Transrail Grey.

I have still yet to start the coal weathering which will be predominately be on the top skirt and done int he form of weathered streaks of coal dust. Some of these (about 5 of the rake so far) have been converted from Bachmann's CEA. Some have also started life as a BR HSA model. The lone 'EWS' large logo vehicle is a one off in real life although Hornby made several versions of it. This is so far the only Hornby example in my rake whereas the rest are Bachmann abeit one Replica Railways version. 

I have used Humbrol's EWS red for the paint and will be using their EWS gold for the gold bands which will be added around the top of the ex CEA hoppers. Some may be rebranded EWS versions also. i have also made up on photoshop some HEA data panels so they won't all be numbered the same as a lot of the examples are the same release bought multiple times. I have also done patchwork coats on some examples to break up the uniform effect.

I plan to make a rake totalling at 36. So far I have 23 at this current point. (not all are shown in these images)

A small reminder i will be displaying these wagons on the modern image stand at the Twickenham & Model Railways Open day on July 23rd. Please come down for a chat if possible. I have previously mentioned details earlier on in the thread but you can always contact me either on this thread or by PM and i will happily answer any queries. 

post-21479-0-23621800-1467388491_thumb.jpg

post-21479-0-53396000-1467388492_thumb.jpg

post-21479-0-39865800-1467388493_thumb.jpg

post-21479-0-79107500-1467388495_thumb.jpg

post-21479-0-89773500-1467388496_thumb.jpg

post-21479-0-99309400-1467388497_thumb.jpg

post-21479-0-82381300-1467388498_thumb.jpg

post-21479-0-11350800-1467388500_thumb.jpg

post-21479-0-44153400-1467388501_thumb.jpg

post-21479-0-55469100-1467388502_thumb.jpg

More stuff on the way...

Edited by WCML100
  • Like 9

As i said before more was on the way and here is a sneak peak...

As i have mentioned in my last Ammanford Junction Update on youtube, i have been working on a side project (or 2!) and this is it, as myself and my younger brother are trying to get this all ready for our clubs open day in 2 weeks time. It is nearly finished but without giving it away for those who maybe attending (details posted previously in this forum only a few posts back or alternatively visit http://www.tdmrc.org.uk/home.html ), here is a snapshot of what state it was in about a month ago. 

It is a small unpowered diorama with a generic location on a small branch line with a very little used freight loop.

post-21479-0-41608700-1468021761_thumb.png

post-21479-0-60251500-1468021759_thumb.jpg

More pictures to follow after going on display at our open day, hopefully by then it will be all complete...

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

After a successful Twickenham & District Open Day on a very hot summers day last Saturday, its only right that i reveal more on Mountford which my younger brother was exhibiting...

This will be featured with further photos of the finished project in the next post. 

This post is to focus on the open day and what the modern image stand as a whole was promoting...  *VIDEO ON THE WAY SOON*

Our club is trying to bring in further modern image modellers such as myself and my brother - the only full time serious Diesel & Electric ERA 9 (Current Privatisation era) modellers at the club. All of this is with a future aim of building a new layout to go with the clubs 'Common Fiddle Yard' which is now finished and was built by the very skillful 'Twickenham Junction' Group of modellers at the club, the only current layout interchangeable with the 'Common Fiddle Yard'. 

So far i can reveal the three ideas been put forward. It was decided fairly early on that it was going to be a London (West or South West London) location to reflect the geographical location of the club and as something similar is very rarely modelled. We also decided it would combine National Rail and London Underground stock also. Again, something I personally haven't seen done on an exhibition level or exhibition standard (I would love to be corrected on this if I have missed any sort of layout!)

We have 2 based on real life plans and one fictional...

1. White City (Westfield) [FICTIONAL]               2. East Putney                3. West Kensington, East Junction

post-21479-0-91120700-1469642613_thumb.jpg

Plan no. 1 White City, is currently favourite within the club due to its operational and visual interest possibilities. 

If you would like to know more about these plans, joining the club or anything else to do with what has been mentioned about our Open Day and this post, please let me know by replying on this topic or by using PM (Private Message).

Now on to some pictures of the modern image stand itself. We brought down some of our best stock to show case as well as a couple of modified buildings to try and 'sell' the modern image idea to the visiting crowd of the day. Although when i sell i mean the idea not the actual stock! I had a fair few people ask if it was for sale!!!

post-21479-0-14706200-1469642613_thumb.jpg

post-21479-0-21654000-1469642607_thumb.jpg

post-21479-0-34672600-1469642608_thumb.jpg

post-21479-0-27451300-1469642609_thumb.jpg

post-21479-0-96927800-1469642609_thumb.jpg

post-21479-0-77363300-1469642610_thumb.jpg

post-21479-0-78386700-1469642614_thumb.jpg

Edited by WCML100
  • Like 3

Hey mate, I'm really sorry I wasn't at open day, I had last minute problems intervene. However, if you are after LUL and NR trains I personally say west Brompton on the WLL. District line one side and the wll on the other, plenty freight too! I can help u as I am close to there if needed mate,

Hey mate, I'm really sorry I wasn't at open day, I had last minute problems intervene. However, if you are after LUL and NR trains I personally say west Brompton on the WLL. District line one side and the wll on the other, plenty freight too! I can help u as I am close to there if needed mate,

Hello Ben (?)

I do hope you come down this Friday (July 29th) to Twickenham MRC as we are having a bit of a social evening with a BBQ - the multi Gauge Running Track will be up and available to guests - so please bring some of your stock to run.

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA

Hello Ben (?)

I do hope you come down this Friday (July 29th) to Twickenham MRC as we are having a bit of a social evening with a BBQ - the multi Gauge Running Track will be up and available to guests - so please bring YOUR stock to run.

As Paul has mentioned above, please come down this friday and i can show you these plans, both the White City idea and the West Kensington East Junction idea feature the WLL.