Jo's N gauge test trains - current project: Track Recording Coach 999508

So another thread in an attempt to maintain so sense of organisation in the various projects I have on the go. After about all of , ooh 3 seconds thought, I settled on the modifying RTR section rather than kitbuilding, but if I'm honest there'll be both on this thread as well as a little bit of painting and weathering. Oh for the past when we just had a 'workbench' section haha.

Anyway, enough digression. Last week a package turned up from Etched Pixels/ Ultima with a load of bits I needed. One of them was a conversion kit to model a BR Mk1 inspection saloon. The plan is to model 999508 in its final condition in Network Rail yellow, a bit of a quick win whilst waiting for the Farish mk2 air cons to appear and it often ran singly top and tailed with a pair of locos, so it'll fit on any of my layouts.

post-6899-0-29047100-1395614728_thumb.jpg

Now, as ever, by choosing to model 999508 I'm keeping things nice and simple for myself...yeah right! I believe it was built as a standard inspection saloon, but was converted with recessed windows, similar to a ducket on a brake van, allowing some forward vision. This entails a large amount of cutting and fabricating as the kit covers a standard "as built" saloon.

post-6899-0-65225600-1395614315_thumb.jpg

So...what does the kit include? Well, everything you need to add side and end overlays to a clear side style Farish carriage as well as detail the underframe with replacement etched trussing and detail parts along with vents of various shapes and sizes for the roof.

post-6899-0-19510400-1395614289_thumb.jpg

The instructions list the kit as being suitable for the non Blue Riband Farish coaches presumably as it was designed in the era before the newer models were ever considered, let alone produced. So I found an old style BG and mentally prepared myself for the horrible task of hacking the trussing off the underframe. Then it dawned on me, will the etches fit a new style body? Lo and behold they were a perfect fit! I had a couple of new style BGs I'd picked up cheap at exhibitions, so cost wasn't an issue.

The pros of this approach are:

- Better bogies

- Better underframe

- No need to remove the chunky underframe - a task I hate!

- Nicer plastic to work with

- Body style better suited to the hacking needed for the cutouts on 999508

- Close coupling mechanism

- Can be glazed after painting

Here's a picture of progress so far

post-6899-0-29807200-1395614290_thumb.jpg

post-6899-0-24271300-1395614291_thumb.jpg

The next step will be to add the windows to the vertical piece in the middle of the recesses and to clear the areas of upper bodyside where the etched sides windows are. Once this is done, I can then look at cutting the metal sides and attaching them to the plastic shell.

jo

Thanks - I didn't realise the thread was pinned, I have it in my watched topics so have been accessing through that.

The time since the last update has seen very little progress due to work getting in the way, but I have managed to begin constructing the side recesses.

The side window is marked out, drilled and then filed. Getting these holes square and even is a job I really struggle with, so I'm pleased how this has come out. The top of the window is level with the top of the door drop lights, is 2mm wide and 3mm (ish!) deep. The side windows on this post are constructed by leaving gaps in the plastic strip. Evergreen 1x1mm is used above and below the window, with 1x0.5mm for the full height strip.

post-6899-0-64721000-1396392239_thumb.jpg

Using comparison with the prototype photo further up the thread, I'm happy with how these windows look, so the next thing will be to build the fatter bases to this section and then the wall sections for the recesses. Thankfully both sides appear to be the same, making planning and measuring easier.

jo

Watching this one with interest - I'm working on the 37 leading this coach in your photo above - this coach could be a future project for me! Are you planning to use bits of the etched kit to make the 'duckets' or are you planning to scratch build them with plasticard?

Thanks for the comments guys, and I must say thanks to Pete Harvey too for some fantastic dimensions information he has supplied me with. The result of which, is so far so good, my guesswork has come out about right so far. Oh and yes Jack, a lot of reference photos have been studied and restudied!

David, the inner bits of the 'ducket' will be plastic as the window is a size not included on the etched side. Also I'm more comfortable working in plastic.

There's not much to show at the moment, fill sand and repeat getting the centre pillar of the 'ducket' good while I can still access all angles of it. Then it'll be onto the large window panels.

jo

A quick reply to show the centre pillar is just about done. Nice and smooth! Will have another check tomorrow to see it with 'fresh eyes' and then I'll be looking to add the fatter section lower down and the panels that go behind

post-6899-0-39774500-1396879871_thumb.jpg

jo

Don't worry Bernard, the whole end is coming off! It's left in situ for the time being to give me a strong shell for all the chopping work on the sides. The replacement ends are flat, with a pair of large observation windows. The etched ends in one of the earlier pictures are going onto the ends somehow

jo

• RMweb Premium

Ah, of course. Should have been concentrating - it's one of the (rare Mk.1) ex-Inspection saloons.

post-408-0-41947600-1396894959_thumb.jpg

What livery are doing it in Jo?

EDIT: Must read first post properly....  :nono:

Cheers,

Mick

I do like my yellow test trains Mick. I have a part finished Structure Gauging Train as well as 950001 and the NMT in the future projects queue. Donor models are bought, just need some etches and the time to do them!

Thanks for that picture, its useful to see an end on shot, you don't often see that, certainly not in NR livery. I didn't realise about the brackets under the buffer beam so that's something extra for me to try

jo

• RMweb Premium

Seems to have spent most recent years as a hauled vehicle, often top n tail, so as you say, clear end shots aren't that common. Looking forward to seeing yours completed.

Shame it's now retired from active duty - it is a most distinctive vehicle.

Cheers,

Mick

Hi Mick,

Yes the photos I've found online of not locked into the centre of a train have all been pre NR days. There's one of it in Serco colours with massive floodlights on the brackets under the buffers.

Both of my photos in post 1 show it standing in for other sets, 950001 in the first shot, and the NMT in the second, top and tailed by a pair of 97/3s.

Thanks for the PM by the way, very useful stuff!

jo

Does anyone know why the water filling pipes are painted in what looks like French Blue? It seems a bit strange to me as I think French Blue is normally used for painting coolant pipework. I also assume the springs are a special type as they are painted blue rather than black as would normally be the case with standard springs? Of course, it may just be that someone at Network Rail decided to try and make it look pretty!

The more I look at this vehicle, the more fascinated with it I become!

Cheers,

Jack

• 4 weeks later...

So, nearly a month has passed since the last update.

With regards to the blue pipes, I don't know, but it does have a generator so coolant seems logical. I'm led to believe that different colour springs are for different spring rates, the royal train shows several different couloirs on one train. Whether it's an industry standard, or on a company by company basis I don't know.

It's not just this vehicle that is fascinating, most of the test fleet are! The NMT in particular has plenty of odd additions and variations through its current formation. The ex REP motor coaches used for ultrasonic testing also have a lot of interesting kit on them and no too vehicles look the same.

So, an update. I've cleared large holes in the body side for windows. They are on the big side to give room to fit glazing to the rear face of the etched sides after painting. I've fitted the etched end to one end of the vehicle so far, chopping vertically with a razor saw in line with the inside face of the side, leaving the thickness of the side to attach the end to. This was a little on the thin side, so I added some strip across the end yo glue the etch to. Once both ends are done, I'll trim the roof back and rebuild the overhang lip.

post-6899-0-45110000-1399591608_thumb.jpg

I have also been working on the side rebate. Please excuse the gaps, it's just place in for the time being as a test fit. The guillotine has come in handy again cutting all these strips of plastic! I have used 10 thou here, although it's on the thin side, it makes cutting the window out nice as easy and should allow flush ish glazing easily. If it's too flimsy, I can always recut in 20 thou. It's not load bearing so hopefully will be ok

post-6899-0-89104700-1399591622_thumb.jpg

jo

That's looking really good so far. With regard the springs - yes, the different colours are different strengths. The blue pipes on the end are water-filling pipes for the toilet and / or kitchen.

Superb project Jo - looking forward to seeing the end result.

- No need to remove the chunky underframe - a task I hate!

FYI an old pair of Xuron cutters makes extremely light work of this job!

Thanks for the replies and likes everyone.

FYI an old pair of Xuron cutters makes extremely light work of this job!

Indeed, I have a mangled pair somewhere that are rather well used! They'll cut just about anything!

A minor update, of what I achieved this morning before work, one side has the rebate panels fitted. As I mentioned earlier these are 10 thou. A framework of 0.5mm strip on he reverse strengthens it and provides a recess for the glazing to sit in.

post-6899-0-28131400-1399674571_thumb.jpg

So far so good, though I think the filler will be on overtime around those joints! If I say so myself, I'm quite impressed with how things are going so far, pleasantly surprised!

jo

Ha! That'd mean me finishing my DBSO, sorry RTOV! Once I get my yellow fleet more developed I should be able to do a bit of chopping and changing and run different formations for different sized layouts

jo

• 5 weeks later...

A small update on 999508 now the recent exhibition run is out of the way.

The inspection windows are now in on both sides, but they need filler and sanding on the joints. Both ends have also been replaced with the etched parts. There's very little Farish plastic left on the shell now!

post-6899-0-42979200-1402352064_thumb.jpg

The sides have had the generator grill added. This is from a 4mm class 37 etch I bought from Shawplan. It's provided me with some convenient sized slatting for a few generator vehicles I have planned. The pack is for overhauled locos, and I chose the type both with and without dividers, to give the most different sizes of grill.

So, here's which grill I used. On the etch, the orange line is a gap, so I cut the framing around the grill, allowing me to space the two halves further apart.

post-6899-0-26432300-1402352063_thumb.jpg

The real grill is four pieces, two big at window height and two small below. I cheated by just filling part of each grill with solder, but looks ok to me and it meant I only had to solder two grills not four ;-)

Here's the two sides after a coat of etch primer, currently drying in the spare room. Once I have the filling finished on the plastic body, I'll offer these up, mark the section to be removed and then, moment of truth, cut the etches into many pieces! Chassis work will begin once I've finished the body, so I can use the body details to align the underframe kit, particularly important as there are steps under the door!

post-6899-0-41810200-1402352065_thumb.jpg

jo

• 1 month later...

Not much of an update other than to say progress is still progressing, just it's been a lot of fill, sand, repeat! 

The first section of etched bodyside has been attached, so once the other half for that side is on there should be a better update!

jo

Archived