What To Do With The GBL 28XX?

Will make an attempt to get it to look like GWR 97, as she looked in 1903, all black and lined out in red. Below the footplate it's the old Hornby chassis. It's not correct, but it can't be helped. The Dean Goods tender drive is in the cards, yet again. Above the footplate, there's plenty that can and will be done.

post-12040-0-58354800-1397052993_thumb.jpg

post-12040-0-17186100-1397053018.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Will make an attempt to get it to look like GWR 97, as she looked in 1903, all black and lined out in red. Below the footplate it's the old Hornby chassis. It's not correct, but it can't be helped. The Dean Goods tender drive is in the cards, yet again. Above the footplate, there's plenty that can and will be done.

Also need to drop the boiler down about 8 ½", 97 had it more or less on the running plate with very squat saddle.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Indeed, just like the prototype photo.

Regards,

Stefan

Why the Dean Goods tender drive?

The 28XX tender drive has a 5 pole motor whereas the Dean is 3 pole.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

I agree, the Ringfield tender drive runs better, but the Dean Goods tender top is a closer match to no 97. It's a dilemma.

Regards,

Stefan

Aren't they both ringfield?

I have both and the most obvious difference is the armature, maybe a Deans top on a 28XX bottom?

Keith

You don't stop for a minute do you Stefan.

I really enjoy seeing you make all these models as I have a great liking for all the prototypes or originals of some of the best known classes, so this is yet another thread of yours to watch and I look forward to the final result.

One last point is that half cone boiler that many of the early ones had, I often wonder how I would go about that but now I can watch someone else do it, I knew an answer would reveal itself if I waited long enough. :)

Best of luck with the rest of what I'm sure will be a successful build.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Stefan

You are not alone, I have a scratch built 28xx chassis with inside working valve gear! I too am using a body which requires a lot of 'bashing' to make a good 28xx to do justice to the chassis. I wondered if you were going to change the backhead? I know the boiler was a swindon No1 but I am not sure what size backhead to use. 247 list three (small, medium and large), have you considered changing yours?

• RMweb Premium

Brilliant Stefan

I looked at your posting by chance and realised that you too were using the GBL body. I had not realised that the smoke box front and boiler came apart like that. My Chassis has a Portescap motor on which needs to fit into the firebox, being able to remove the top half of the boiler has just made cutting away that bulkhead at the rear of the boiler  to accommodate the motor so much easier.... cheers.

My list of spares are all from 247 

Backhead...Belpaire ? S/M/L

Chimney...Cast version

Safety Valve ? S/M/L

Buffers...Parallel shank

Smokebox door ..No1 boiler

Smokebox darts (Romford)

Whistles... GWR early pair

I have etched numbers (2857). Of course the handrails need constructing..I decided not to go down the Hornby Design Clever route and use the moulded ones. Also the two bars from the boiler to the front buffer beam need to be made as well.

I do not know what Backhead and safety valve to use until I find out what the loco has, I know its not the long one.

Hi 7013,

Good to hear that you also is using the GBL body! Will you be posting any pictures of your build? It's always interesting to see someone doing something similar.

I'm actually thinking about using cab and backhead from the City of Truro kit. Probably not correct, but looking at the prototype photo, it seems to be a pretty good match.

Regards,

Stefan

• RMweb Premium

Hi Stefan, Yes I will start a thread when I have gathered all the bits and start my build. I have a part built cab which i am going to use. the gentleman who built the chassis was a master builder, and although I could never reach his standards I am trying to do justice to his chassis.

• RMweb Premium

This is a shot of the inside valve gear representation. The good thing about the GBL frame is that it should be visible under the boiler......I hope!

post-7211-0-82779800-1397140886.jpg

Shortened (very little) and lowered the front of the firebox to match the new boiler position. Used a piece of boiler from the scrap box for the new shape, it's not fixed in position yet.

post-12040-0-34163900-1397143684_thumb.jpg

I think no 97 had a 4000 gallon well tank tender from new, maybe a Hornby 3500 gallon with the raves removed and Dapol City of Truro or Hornby Dean Goods tender raves glued in place might make a reasonable representation.

Archived