Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

What To Do With The GBL 28XX?

Hi Jeff,

Oh no contest there !

Definitely 'Kruger' himself -such a beautiful ugly brute - although 'Mrs Kruger' wasn't quite so bad and 'the family of eight' were positively good looking by comparison.

Can't quite explain why but I've always liked the 'Krugers' - unless its because among Swindon locos they really stand out from the crowd.

Regards

PS,

And a 'Kruger' is very easy to scratchbuild with no taper boiler or Belpair firebox, a flat footplate and no splashers.

Hi Stefan,

I didn't know or have forgotten about that one.

I tend to work from the Russell books as the drawings in them are mostly Swindon Works or Col. Templer and can be trusted to a very big extent.

I seem to remember that Cyril Freezer did a 3901 drawing but with all respect to a great man I normally steer clear of his drawings as they are not always totally accurate - I found this out to my cost many years after I scratchbuilt a Great Bear using the CJF drawing only to find out the taper on the boiler was in the wrong place - boy was that difficult to correct on a soldered brass model.

I would have to say that Ian Beattie and Roche drawings should be treated with caution also. All the drawings I've consulted by Maskelyne have been correct.

I have every book by Russell in my library so if you ever need info................

All the Best

Thanks  for the offer WeatheringMan, I will certainly take you up on it.

The 3901 article and drawing in Model Railways is penned by D. H. Townsley. Any thoughts on him?

Regards,

Stefan

Hi Stefan,

I think you are probably referring to Don Townsley.

I do remember articles by him many years ago (I seem to remember wagon articles in the old Model Railway News or Model Railway Constructor but it is a long time ago now so memory may have slipped) and I've not heard anything to suggest his work was in any way flawed.

I think it would be fair to say he comes from the era of the 'greats' such as CJF, P.D.Hancock, Peter Denny and David Jenkinson to name only a few, and should be included in that category, so I personally would be inclined to accept his writings as excellent info.

All the Best

....are we allowed to mention the Schools on here? I saw it on the Newsagent's floor today (in a package that is).

P

No.

Disengaging tongue from cheek and seeking coat...

All the best,

Castle

• RMweb Premium

No.

Disengaging tongue from cheek and seeking coat...

All the best,

Castle

OK I won't then.........................but it actually looked quite good nestling next to a box of crisps and some tatty Daily Mirrors. :beee:

P

Sorry Quacks - somebody HAD to do it and I got there first!

I wonder if the team behind GBL had any idea what they were unleashing? It will be interesting to what the the modellers from the Southern Regions will be able to do something with them...

I'm looking forward to many more interesting build threads!

All the best,

Castle

Hi All,

This is off thread but an appeal for help chaps.

The last few days I've found that when I reply to a post using the reply quoting this one option that the original does not appear with my reply only the new text from me.

This is happening on two different pc's - one a laptop on windows 7 and a tablet on windows 8.

Its a bit annoying as it means replies don't connect with the intended post.

All used to be well but it seemed to start about last weekend.

Many thanks for any advice guys.

Regards

Hi Keith,

Got to agree with you there - a real odd-ball one that.

Whilst it does appeal due to its strange looks at the moment I'm drawn more to the likes of Barnums, 517's and Armstrong Goods after my first list.

Another oddish tank I will probably build is one of the inside cylinder 2-6-2 type converted from 'Dean Goods' for Birmingham Suburban work.

Many years ago the Railway Modeller carried an article by one Brian Huxley entitled 'The Plastic Prairie' which I think may have used  K's chassis and a scratchbuilt body.

Regards

The article recommended using a Wrenn/Dublo R1 chassis, with a scratchbuilt body, as it had (at the time) finer wheels than the Hornby 0-6-0. Got my chassis from Hattons for GBP 3/19/6d! I built my 39xx by this method (my first ever go at scratchbuilding). Sadly, by my standards today, it has several faults and is due for a new body - on the to do list, as the chassis is quiet and runs well.

Hi All,

This is off thread but an appeal for help chaps.

The last few days I've found that when I reply to a post using the reply quoting this one option that the original does not appear with my reply only the new text from me.

This is happening on two different pc's - one a laptop on windows 7 and a tablet on windows 8.

Its a bit annoying as it means replies don't connect with the intended post.

All used to be well but it seemed to start about last weekend.

Many thanks for any advice guys.

Regards

Are you using IE11? If so, it could be a well-known issue.

Nick

• RMweb Premium

Got my chassis from Hattons for GBP 3/19/6d!

That's more than my complete R1! (and my E3001 only cost 67/6d (£3/7/6) - the price was still on the box when I sold it)

Are you sure it wasn't £2/19/6?

Keith

That's more than my complete R1! (and my E3001 only cost 67/6d (£3/7/6) - the price was still on the box when I sold it)

Are you sure it wasn't £2/19/6?

Keith

It was 40+ years ago, so my memory may be at fault. But I do remember getting a free religious pamphlet , enclosed in the package,from Mr. Hatton's wife (Mildred?) extolling me to seek God. At the time I was seeking some decent plans of a 39xx!

Can I ask a dumb question? Is the gloss finish to make application of transfers more effective? Was that done by applying gloss/satin varnish over the matt black coat shown earlier or is it a gloss/satin black coat?

It's not a dumb question. The gloss varnish is for the transfers (and for a little depth in  the paint) I do gloss varnish then transfers then gloss again before finishing off with either semi-gloss or flat varnish. I like doing it this way, but it's not the only way.

Regards,

Stefan

That's looking good.

Can I ask a chimpish question?

Due to the generosity of Knobhead I now have a complete 28xx, and I've tidied it up and painted it back to unlined GWR green. Or what Humbrol says is Brunswick green...

It looks a bit bright (I've got varnish on it at the moment as recommended whilst handling and before placing decals) - what's the general opinion of that Humbrol shade - will it look better when flattened with matt varnish and toned down by the black areas? Or is it a dead loss, buy the Precision Paints and overspray it?

• RMweb Premium

That's looking good.

Can I ask a chimpish question?

Due to the generosity of Knobhead I now have a complete 28xx, and I've tidied it up and painted it back to unlined GWR green. Or what Humbrol says is Brunswick green...

It looks a bit bright (I've got varnish on it at the moment as recommended whilst handling and before placing decals) - what's the general opinion of that Humbrol shade - will it look better when flattened with matt varnish and toned down by the black areas? Or is it a dead loss, buy the Precision Paints and overspray it?

The problem with any colour on a prototype loco is, once in service, it is subject to the effects of weather and that can change the shade enormously. (Just look how BR blue looked a couple of years out of the paint shop!)

The given colour is OK ex-works and even that varied from period to period!

Keith

EDIT in BR days the BR passenger green (so called Brunswick) always looked different to me on a Castle or a Jubilee, similar size and shape locos.

Archived