Servo or Solenoid?

lefrog97

Recently I built a 10 switch point control panel using 10 gaugemaster on-off-on momentary contact toggle switches. Can I use standard DC power through these to control the right-left movement of a servo to control my layout points; or would I be better off sticking to standard solenoid motors?

• RMweb Premium

I suspect that you would'nt get much luck on the servos as I think they need a continuous controlled output.  I would stick to using the switches to control standard solenboid motors.

Jamie

You will need to get a servo controller interface with your servos. Some will accept momentary input to move them which will be suitable for your existing controls but others will require specific wiring of the controls or need constant switching rather than momentary.

It will be worth using the servos for nice slow motion operation of the points, and with servos being cheaper than solenoids there will be a saving to offset the cost of the controller.

You will need to get a servo controller interface with your servos. Some will accept momentary input to move them which will be suitable for your existing controls but others will require specific wiring of the controls or need constant switching rather than momentary.

It will be worth using the servos for nice slow motion operation of the points, and with servos being cheaper than solenoids there will be a saving to offset the cost of the controller.

Thanks for the advice. Any recommendations for the type of servo/controller interface to use? And where they could potentially be sourced?

An alternative way of using servos, which will work with your switches.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/82007-servo-motor-conversion-for-simple-dc-use/

I tried it - it's a reliable and well working method to switch points. 1.5 volt are sufficient to make a servo work.

My only remark to the description in the above link: I would not bother to unsolder the wires – just cut em (thus no danger to melt the case). Also instead of soldering the middle wire back into the inside of the body, I did cut it at the 3-wire-connector.

Here's a circuit diagram for two points:

post-12822-0-95225900-1399060905.gif

Instead of momentary contacts I use DPDT switches; these indicate the setting of the resp. point (the other poles are used to polarize the resp. frog - not shown here).

But, since I couldn't obtain on-off-on switches I had to add the two momentary buttons (shown near the servo motors).

Regards

Armin

It can be applied to any servo. All you are doing is using the servo as a cheap source for a motor and gearbox, and throwing away the most useful part (the electronics to make it stop at the ends)  :no:

Andrew

Archived