Newgate Lane - Lessons in Modelling the Modern Railway

St. Simon

Hi Gary,

Usually they have separate posts, but, if the speed change is close enough to the signal, then it would be fixed to the signal post, I've check quite a few Signal Sighting Forms that have posts for both Signals and Speed Signs.

Yeah, I've just noticed that probably the men with kango's should be on either side of the sleepers rather than rail.

Simon

Hi Simon,

very interesting thread, and an impressive little layout you have here...

Very much my taste I have to say. I also have to thank you for your fantastic 3D products, I did not realise this was yourself until reading through your thread now. I am currently starting the detailing on my station and i have actually purchased ticket barriers, the generic station destination boards set, and the station mirrors, all very helpful and must have products for the modern image modeller! I cannot believe the big manufacturers have not produced anything like this. I must thank you for this. There was a few other things might purchase from your range in the future as well. 

If you wouldn't mind, please check out my thread and leave me some feed back, would be very much appreciated. 

Thanks,

Peter.

Hi Simon,

very interesting thread, and an impressive little layout you have here...

Very much my taste I have to say. I also have to thank you for your fantastic 3D products, I did not realise this was yourself until reading through your thread now. I am currently starting the detailing on my station and i have actually purchased ticket barriers, the generic station destination boards set, and the station mirrors, all very helpful and must have products for the modern image modeller! I cannot believe the big manufacturers have not produced anything like this. I must thank you for this. There was a few other things might purchase from your range in the future as well. 

If you wouldn't mind, please check out my thread and leave me some feed back, would be very much appreciated. 

Thanks,

Peter.

Hi Peter,

I'm glad you like the thread and the products. The reason as to why the big manufacturers don't do this is that Modern Image doesn't sell, particularly the little items.

I will go and have a look at you're thread!

Simon

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Did a few hours on the layout this weekend adding a few more details to the station:

post-7271-0-99215800-1422219416_thumb.jpg

Here you can see a Signal Telephone for use by Train Drivers to telephone the signaller without having to walk all the way to the Starter Signal.  This has been 3D Printed to my own designers, you can see more of my stuff on this thread. I've got to add another telephone for the ECO (Electrification Control Officer), but I' waiting on the paint drying, I'll add it to a Lesson in Railway Modelling later. I've also added some Grit Boxes from Bachmann, these you see on most platforms to combat icy conditions in Winter,

I've also added some details to the Network Rail Access Point, but you'll have to wait to see those as I'm writing another part to my Lessons in Railway Modelling, but hopefully over the next week or so you should see that.

I don't want to reveal the layout in all its glory just yet, but to tease you, here's a night time shot, with a new addition in the form of a FGW Class 150 in the Platform.

post-7271-0-53262200-1422219437_thumb.jpg

What you can't see in the photos is a 'OFF' Indicator that I've installed, but haven't been able to wire up write at this moment, but I'll have that ready soon!

Once again, if you have any questions, please ask!

Simon

You have made another amazing layout and your 3D printed parts are really good I will need to buy some at some points.

Richard

Hi Richard,

You comments are very nice, thank you, I wouldn't call Newgate Lane an amazing layout compared with some on here. Hopefully, the next one will be even better! 

No rush to buy Richard, they'll be around for a while I hope :)

Simon

• 1 month later...

Hi Simon,

Any updates? Also, where do the steps come from on the end of the platform?

Matthew

Hi Matthew,

There hasn't been much work done to the layout as I've been building another layout as a module for the Taunton Members Day, although I managed to get it out into the Garden on Sunday to photograph it in the sun shine:

post-7271-0-41109700-1427227810.jpg

post-7271-0-80736800-1427227951.jpg

post-7271-0-17834000-1427227961.jpg

post-7271-0-72461800-1427227972.jpg

post-7271-0-37278600-1427228001.jpg

post-7271-0-50903900-1427228011.jpg

post-7271-0-17308500-1427228022.jpg

post-7271-0-11476000-1427228033.jpg

The Stairs at the end of the platform came from a Busch Modern Station Building Kit I used on Hythe Parkway, although it was cut to length.

You will be able to see Newgate Lane at the Taunton Members day on Sunday 26th April, although it will only be the scenic board and non-operational, apart from the sound. It will form part of my display of my 3D Printed Modern Image Detailing Parts, many of which can be seen on the layout,

Simon

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

I've put the finishing touches to the Layout in preparation for Taunton this weekend, as said previously, the layout won't be operation, but will have its sound on, and will be a demonstration layout for my 3D Printed bits.

Hope to see some followers of the thread on Sunday!

Simon

I'm telecoms, and we don't call each other operative, we are all techs, even if acting as COSS or Lookout/site warden.

Layout looking great btw.

People

No, not the general public and RMwebbers, but the miniature commuters which rely on the train service that we put on, the miniature station staff who deal with them and the our miniature alter egos that fix the....

Next up, it’s maintenance people. For this, I’m going slightly away from Layout. Newgate Lane doesn’t have the capacity for a major engineering possession, so I’m going to use a project for the Taunton Members Day Modular Layout, which will include a major engineering Possession. However, this in the process of being built and nowhere near the stage for People, so I’ve tried to mock up what it should look like (excuse the Blue Tack)

First of all, we have to understand who’s involved in a maintenance team. A Maintenance team can vary in size, but there are distinct roles in the team:

·         Lookout (LO) – The job of this role is to ensure the safety of workers on or near the line through keeping a look out for approaching trains and then warning the workers through the use of horns and flags. There must be at least one LO for a worksite. On a single track line, where traffic from all directions can be seen, this would be able. For double track, two LO’s would be provided, one for each direction, while if the area has sharp curves and sighting difficulty, then more LO’s would be provided.

·         Controller of Site Safety (COSS) – This person is responsible for the safety of all the workers in the area under his control. This person can also be the team leader if a single team is at a worksite

·         Technician – Fault Finder, this person sorts out all the technical problems at a work site, if you have multiple disciplines working at the same site (e.g. Track, Signalling, E&P, or Telecoms), you would have a technician per discipline and per team within each discipline.

·         Operatives – Assistances to the Technician, they generally do the heavy work. For Signalling, E&P and Telecoms teams, one operative per team is normal, but for Track, 3 or 4 operatives is needed, as this is the number needed to drag sleepers etc.

·         Apprentice – A Mini Me J could also be placed with the team, but only one per team, whatever the discipline, they would do a mixture of Technician and Operative Roles.

This is the bare minimum of people need for a maintenance scene on a layout. For my figures, I’ve used mostly Bachmann Scene craft Figures with a mixture of Permanent Way Workers and Lineside workers. I’ve also used a couple of Figures of Dart Castings; their Lookout Figure and their Track worker with Pandrol Clip.

Obviously the Bachmann Figures are pre-painted, but the Dart Castings figures need to be painted in High Visibility Orange with some Sliver Strips on the Legs, chest and arms. One change that can be made to the Bachmann Figures is a change of Hard Hat Colour. There are only two hard hat colours on the railway, Blue and White. White is trained and competent and Blue Hats are people recently Qualified PTS Holders, such as Apprentices and Operatives. A Technician, COSS or LO always have white hats, while a couple of blue hats would be seen in a big engineering scene.

Now where to place them. Well, this is dependent on whether you want trains to run on the line that your miniature maintenance team are working on. If you don’t, then you can place them anywhere. If you do, then make sure you place them far enough away from the track so as not be struck by a train.

But where to place the members of the team, well, all of them should be fairly close proximity to each other, apart from the Lookouts who should be placed a little away from the group, the distance isn’t a fixed position, it would be decided by the COSS Depending on the work, sighting distances and line speed.

The people you use also depends on the job, for instance you wouldn’t use the surveying figures in the Bachmann Packs in a purely maintenance scene, as alignment is done mostly by eye, but you would use them when modelling the building of a new line. But of course, you can use these to create a, now out of date, scene depicting signal sighting survey:

attachicon.gifDSCF1714.JPG

I’ve seen the Bachmann Figures used a lot on Modern Image layouts, but actually, a lot have been placed in the wrong pose, for instance, this man I’ve seen placed a lot like this:

attachicon.gifDSCF1753.JPG

But in fact, he’s using a bar, which can be used to slew track, crudely roll rail over, or lift rail, so placing as shown means that he’s just trying to dig a hole with a bar.

I’ve used him and some other figures in the same pack to create this scene;

attachicon.gifDSCF1757.JPG

This is a scene depicting slewing of track with one guy slewing the track, while two operatives are holding the track to stop it 'spinning around'

Also, this figure is a little odd:

attachicon.gifDSCF1763.JPG

He’s holding a Kango Packer, which is used to force Ballast under Sleepers to cure voids under sleepers, or to repack the Ballast after some maintenance work, they are basically hand held tampers. However, I’ve never seen this used singularly, but as a pair operated by two operatives, one either side of the rail, like this:

attachicon.gifDSCF1759.JPG

Luckily, I’ve got another left over from another pack which I only discovered a couple of nights ago!

The man with the Jack can be placed as though he’s sliding it under the rail, but if you want to run trains along the line, then his block would get knocked off! So, position him as though he was picking it up from the ground, either near other tools or from near a Van. 

Finally, here's the mocked up scene as a whole, with labels to show who's who

attachicon.gifEngineering.jpg

In terms of figures that’s really the only major things I can think of, the main thing is to think of normal human behaviour, and the crucial rule is that if it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

Regards,

Simon

Hi,

Sorry I haven't updated the thread since Taunton, been busy with work and college!

However, I'm now free enough to write up the weekend experiences! I took the layout along as part of my 3D Printing Demo Stand, here it is set up on the Sunday Morning:

post-7271-0-18337000-1430662130.jpg

Not much has changed on the layout since the last updated, apart from adding a station help point. For the day, the layout has home to some engineering trains that I have constructed for an article in BRM and a couple of pieces of plant built by Phil Parker that he lent me for the weekend. I also had my Kernow Thumper (part of the inspiration for the layout originally) and my First Great Western Class 150/1 out and standing in the station.

So, the piccies, firstly my tool train (with Phils 12t Crane at the rear) and Thumper:

post-7271-0-67999300-1430662372_thumb.jpg

He also lent me his Clockwork Ideas Tamper, which looked fantastic on the layout:

post-7271-0-53026000-1430662692.jpg

post-7271-0-48643700-1430662710_thumb.jpg

post-7271-0-04908700-1430662755.jpg

Unfortunately, I had to return it, so precious Phil was about it, he made Mr York Search me before I left! :stop:

Finally a Picture of a Colas Class 66 (lent by a club member for the weekend) taken by a NR Employee from the access point:

post-7271-0-16765500-1430662718_thumb.jpg

Sadly, there's all the photos I had from the day, although you can see more from others on the Taunton Thread

Simon

Where can you buy the clockwork ideas tamper from Simon? The 12t crane is on the wanted list too!

More info on the Clockwork tamper thread. Don't know if it's still available.

The 12T crane looks like it may be the makeyourmarkmodels kit

Cheers,

Mick

Hi,

Sorry, I missed this question.

Mick is right the Tamper is a Clockwork Ideas Kit, they were available at DC Kits, although you'll have to ask if they are still available. The Crane is a Make your Mark Models kit.

Both were built by Phil Parker and not by me, the tamper previosuly in BRM and the Crane will be featured in a future issue as both a construction article (by Phil) and a feature article on Engineering Trains (by myself).

Simon

• 3 months later...

Hi,

Long time, no update, which I apologise for, but nothing has really happened on the layout since Taunton, but it's life could be taking a turn...

Some of you may have seen that I have just received a new layout,as part of this, it means that something has to go from my house, so I have been looking at the possible solutions regarding Newgate Lane.

First is scrap it, which I actually don't want to do, the second is sell it on to a fellow modeller.

So, in light of that, if you are interested in having Newgate Lane or just want to ask questions, please PM me.

Simon

• 3 weeks later...

I have some of the 3D printed points heating transformers which Simon has produced and am yet to place them on my layout.

I was at Stourbridge the other week and took these photos of a series of new transformers as installed these appear to be the same type as the 3D models

post-19340-0-43866700-1441290635_thumb.jpg

post-19340-0-79454100-1441290624_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

Hi,

Long time, no update, which I apologise for, but nothing has really happened on the layout since Taunton, but it's life could be taking a turn...

Some of you may have seen that I have just received a new layout,as part of this, it means that something has to go from my house, so I have been looking at the possible solutions regarding Newgate Lane.

First is scrap it, which I actually don't want to do, the second is sell it on to a fellow modeller.

So, in light of that, if you are interested in having Newgate Lane or just want to ask questions, please PM me.

Simon

Sorry, just noticed this, is the layout still available for sale?

Archived