I think it's a good buy from Ebay

hayfield

The "Good Buy From Ebay" thread has been running for a while, but it only shows the win's. So I thought it would be fun to start a thread which is after the winning bid but before we receive the items, a bit of fun so those who a a bit daunted bidding on hunches can learn from  (good and bad) from others experiences

Well here we go

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KIT-BUILT-00-GAUGE-STANDARD-CLASS-4MT-2-6-0-LOCOMOTIVE-AND-TENDER-SPARES-REPAIRS-/380989545730?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=2kHhCxO70AaXEpbU3%252BPohU5fWjQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Well what a Know is that it has a set of Romford/Markits wheels, on what looks like a Jamieson/Eames chassis. Fronr wheel looks like a Hornby item and the cylinders and motion may be Hornby Dublo. The loco body an Airfix kit

Now I bought it as I have a Wills Crab from an earlier Ebay lot, The loco is painted very badly and on a Triang/Hornby chassis. I hope to match up the chassis with my Wills Crab and somehow marry up a Comet or similar Cylinders and motion set and replace the front pony truck and wheels.

At worst I have a set of wheels that would have cost me £30 for a tenner, may be lucky and have a chassis as well

How about a few other hunches that are unknown

• Like 1

Good morning all

There are many dealers around who don't know much about model railways. The proper auction house experts aren't much better. I think they go by the running number on the model. I have seen models misdescribed in Auction House catalogues, appear on Ebay with the same incorrect description. The number was correct for the description, but the loco wasn't correct for the number.

I have seen locos on Ebay with a Portescap motor and a low BIN price. They don't last long. A few years ago I won a NuCast J6 for around £60, and on stripping it down, found a Portescap. The motor went for a good price, so I got the loco for zero. 

I recently bought a model that looked awful, but had a Comet Chassis/Valve gear and Markits wheels. the Comet chassis/valve gear would cost more than I paid for the complete package so I got the loco and wheels for zero. 

Everyone loves a bargain, but I only buy things i want, not like an ex-GF who bought a pair of leather boots in a sale, she didn't like them when she got home, so donated them to a charity shop.

Earlswood nob

A sort of mystery buy?

Horestan

Not really what I was thinking of, Earlswood Nob has the right Idea and I know from your own posts that you do buy items on a hunch.

The Idea is rather than saying I found this item in the wrong group/miss described etc. Its this item looks to be something much better than the description/photo. It may be the valuable item is in the background and not described.

The lot I have shown for example its said a kit built plastic loco, which is in poor condition and I guess an Airfix/Dapol/Kitmaster model, completely worthless to me.

The rest of the description said "Brass kit built chassis, no motor just wheels/block and push rods". Now I first saw some modern Romfords/Markit wheels These are now £5 each. Then there is what looks like an Eames/Jamieson brass bar chassis, if it is then it might be just what I want for my Wills Crab. The cylinders and motion I think are Hornby Dublo which if so will have a small value, front pony truck looks to be Triang

post-1131-0-76436700-1410450485.jpeg

Now this is the aforementioned Wills Crab, which is exactly as it was when I bought it several years ago except for the dust, I now have an affinity with this ugly looking loco which is crying out to be loved. Now this may well be the catalyst for a rebuild, I do have a lovely brass etched brass cylinder block, or a Comet LMS/BR cylinder set and an Eames LMS motion set, so I may have enough bits now for the rebuild.

Lets wait and see if my hunch is right

Anyone else waiting for any auction lots where you have taken a chance on a hunch

eson

Well just to show, a brand new set of Romford/Markits 21 mm wheels with axles and crank pins has just sold for £31.28 on Ebay. The one potential problem I have with the wheels is the crank pins that have been used, though at worst they will have to be either bushed or used with an old Triang Hornby chassis, so not all will be lost on my £10.42 investment

Was very excited when I purchased this book. Paid on Aug 7th and nothing happened. PM'd the seller on Aug 28th, who replied on the 29th with an apology and a promise of a replacement and nothing happened. Sent him another PM the day before yesterday, recieved a prompt reply where he assured me delivery shortly. Will wait another week or so before hiting him with a negative feedback, Unfortunatly the behaviour from the seller appears systematic and I should have looked at his feedback scores before buying, but got carried away when it seemed to be such a good deal. I guess it will still be (sort of) a good deal if the book turns up next week?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301270804474?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I had a similar problem with an Amazon dealer, it seems that they advertise stock they don't have but other dealers do. Took a month to sort out. I guess they buy them in from each other, their prices are much the same. Good luck with it but Paypal will refund your money quickly. I guess its missing out on the book that's worse than the money

The "Good Buy From Ebay" thread has been running for a while, but it only shows the win's. So I thought it would be fun to start a thread which is after the winning bid but before we receive the items, a bit of fun so those who a a bit daunted bidding on hunches can learn from  (good and bad) from others experiences

Well here we go

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KIT-BUILT-00-GAUGE-STANDARD-CLASS-4MT-2-6-0-LOCOMOTIVE-AND-TENDER-SPARES-REPAIRS-/380989545730?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=2kHhCxO70AaXEpbU3%252BPohU5fWjQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Well what a Know is that it has a set of Romford/Markits wheels, on what looks like a Jamieson/Eames chassis. Fronr wheel looks like a Hornby item and the cylinders and motion may be Hornby Dublo. The loco body an Airfix kit

Now I bought it as I have a Wills Crab from an earlier Ebay lot, The loco is painted very badly and on a Triang/Hornby chassis. I hope to match up the chassis with my Wills Crab and somehow marry up a Comet or similar Cylinders and motion set and replace the front pony truck and wheels.

At worst I have a set of wheels that would have cost me £30 for a tenner, may be lucky and have a chassis as well

How about a few other hunches that are unknown

Let's hope someone else buys something this weekend on a hunch and tells us (before they receive it) what they think they have bought

Well the Mogul has arrived and I have got basically what I thought, which is parts of an Airfix BR class 4 Mogul loco body and tender. A set of Romford 21 mm wheels, Hornby Dublo Cylinders and motion set. Either a heavily cut up Bristol Models/Eames/Jamieson chassis frames.

I have no idea when I will try and convert/rebuild the Crab, I need a plan first and I see some in the Railway Modellers of 7-95 & 4-82, which I may have

Now my total outlay of £10.41 is fully covered by the Romford/Markits wheels, as new they cost £5.56 each and 80p per axle. So the hunch has paid off

I could rebuild the loco to fit the chassis, providing I can get a set of cylinders to fit (I have the wrong LMS type) and the Jamieson motion to work. The motion set might be wortk selling on, but the central plate has a section cut out in one place so may have lost most of its value. Still I am hoping to rebuild the chassis from the spares box which was the reason I bought the item

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 2

Was very excited when I purchased this book. Paid on Aug 7th and nothing happened. PM'd the seller on Aug 28th, who replied on the 29th with an apology and a promise of a replacement and nothing happened. Sent him another PM the day before yesterday, recieved a prompt reply where he assured me delivery shortly. Will wait another week or so before hiting him with a negative feedback, Unfortunatly the behaviour from the seller appears systematic and I should have looked at his feedback scores before buying, but got carried away when it seemed to be such a good deal. I guess it will still be (sort of) a good deal if the book turns up next week?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301270804474?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Oakwood press The Framlingham branch Waited two weeks contacted seller book must be lost in the post would send another copy another week no book contacted again asked me to wait ten days nothing opened a case with E bay they refunded me, Rubbish seller like you say should have checked feedback but the was book priced low

Same thing with me with this seller.

Wel, well, well! The book found it's way to my mailbox today. Miracles do happen, I guess? Not sure I want to experience a repeat from this seller though.

I found what I think is a well built Keyser GWR Low Syphon

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201174147991?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I paid a bit more than I would normally would, simply as I don't think I have an all whitemetal version of this Van, but also because of the underframe detailing and middle wheel solution. One drawback is the couplings and the hole they have made in the buffer beam. Also stated as EM, but the flanges do look a bit finer than EM, I could be wrong thinking they are P4 wheels. Not familiar with the make of wheels with brass rims

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have just purchased a Hornby Pullman 3rd Class Kitchen Car (Later version, with lights) for £27. Pictures looked okay, so I hope everything's in order.

I have just purchased a Hornby Pullman 3rd Class Kitchen Car (Later version, with lights) for £27. Pictures looked okay, so I hope everything's in order.

Hmmm, ditto here - about a week ago on eBay UK, I snagged what appears to be a brand new with almost shop perfect box Pullman 3rd Class Parlour R4144A, it was closing very LATE in the day UK time and I won it for 18 quid!!!

Still awaiting its arrival, but hoping I got a nice one - buyer purported to be selling for a friend who went into a nursing home and he had several other items on sale all of which looked in excellent boxed condition...here's hoping!!

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hmmm, ditto here - about a week ago on eBay UK, I snagged what appears to be a brand new with almost shop perfect box Pullman 3rd Class Parlour R4144A, it was closing very LATE in the day UK time and I won it for 18 quid!!!

Still awaiting its arrival, but hoping I got a nice one - buyer purported to be selling for a friend who went into a nursing home and he had several other items on sale all of which looked in excellent boxed condition...here's hoping!!

As well as a groan button we should have a 'fingers crossed' button. :sungum:

I think I might have something similar (see previous posts), but mine cost £12.

How low can you go with an illuminated Pullman car?

Providing you have not spent a kings ransom part of the fun is the anticipation of getting a bargain.

Recently I won a set of Romford drivers and a pack of Bachmann wagon wheels plus a few other bits for £6.62. The only querie was the size and were any insulated, happy to say 22 mm 3 insulated, axles and crank pins. The Bachmann wheels alone cost more.

Another punt I have had lately was for a set of hand made chassis frames, just over £8 for 6 pairs. Certainly 2 I can use for some 0-16,5 loco bodies I have so I guess these again were a punt into the unknown that has just about paid off

I think I might have something similar (see previous posts), but mine cost £12.

How low can you go with an illuminated Pullman car?

Wow! That's pretty low... I thought I'd done well getting 3 of them (Leona, Cynthia and Car #65) for around 15 quid each, but it was from a US eBay sale so figured it really doesn't qualify, as when that sort of stuff shows up, seldom as that occurs, it can be usually had for a lot less than the same item(s) on eBay UK...

Happy with my three though, and if that fourth one meets expectations, will make a nice 4-car set.

Edited by Ian Abel

• 5 months later...

Its been a few months since anyone thought they have found anything ?

How about this one  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Box-Full-of-accessories-Suitable-for-00-gauge-/151675514940?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=2kHhCxO70AaXEpbU3%252BPohU5fWjQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

The fourth photo should give you a clue, and is backed up by the 6th photo !!

The 2nd photo may or may not be something interesting and what about the tub in the third, tat or of use ? I like these type of things and was surprised that it stayed so low, but then I could be so wrong

Edited by hayfield

• RMweb Premium

Its been a few months since anyone thought they have found anything ?

How about this one  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Box-Full-of-accessories-Suitable-for-00-gauge-/151675514940?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=2kHhCxO70AaXEpbU3%252BPohU5fWjQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

The fourth photo should give you a clue, and is backed up by the 6th photo !!

The 2nd photo may or may not be something interesting and what about the tub in the third, tat or of use ? I like these type of things and was surprised that it stayed so low, but then I could be so wrong

Certainly a lucky dip!

• RMweb Premium

Spotted anything, or is it junk ?

Nothing worthwhile that I can see!

The plastic tubs seem to be the most valuable!

Edited by kevinlms

Very surprised to see a box waiting for me and was very pleased with what was inside. The whole lot was £14.50 inc postage

post-1131-0-35580900-1432055949_thumb.jpg

This was the main page and as some said looks like tat

post-1131-0-76171200-1432055974_thumb.jpg

This caught my eye as I could see a chassis fret and if you look carefully the chassis behind

post-1131-0-25322200-1432055990_thumb.jpg

And a quick look at the GEM paper gives the chassis number

Well it was as I thought a GEM Watford tank chassis, which will go very well with my old GEM Watford tank, like SEF chassis frets it has a few added body details. The box will come in handy for storing  parts, there was  set of Perseverance hornblock guides, DS11 motor mount, 2 needle files and some axle bearings. Various track pins and a few bits

Most of the Flora box is in the bin, so not too much out of that

To sell on are 4 Hornby ? plastic LMS cylinder blocks, 3 lots of valve gear, 2 Peco switches. Well these parts will cover half the cost of what I paid if I get a £1 a piece

Certainly the chassis would have cost me £30 ish, just need a copy of the instructions. The needle files always come in handy, as will the other parts I want to keep

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 3