BRM December Issue + FREE DVD + FREE Bachmann Times magazine

BRM DECEMBER ISSUE PREVIEW

December's BRM is a real Bumper Issue, featuring 164-pages of great layouts, ideas and projects plus a special Bachmann Times magazine AND a free DVD worth £7.99 AND a Market Stall Kit Download!

The Digital Edition goes on-sale on Friday, November 7th. The printed magazine is in shops from Thursday, November 13th.

Here’s what you’ll find in the December issue of BRM:

post-22012-0-74678400-1415182748_thumb.png

FOUR top quality model railways in four scales
·         Hoghton Bridge (1) – recreating memories of his youth, Trevor Smith’s Gauge 1 layout is evocative of the final years of steam in the North West
·         Rannoch (OO) – A house move gave Mark Darragh the opportunity to build a famous section of the West Highland Line in his spare room
·         Prestatyn (N) – A model railway can help relive those rose-tinted childhood days and the trains of your youth, as David Phillips explains.*
·         Bolton Priory (O) – Set in the tense years before the Second World War, Geoff Holmes’ 7mm scale layout depicts a country terminus in North Yorkshire.

Practical BRM
·         Ready-to-use or Build-it-Yourself? As the price of resin buildings increases, Phil Parker consider the merits of each approach and which offers better value.
·         Improve Bachmann’s LMR Porthole Stock by Tony Wright
·         Project Layout: Owen’s Bridge (First World War field railway) in OO9*
·         Model Tornado’s support coach

Products
·         Exclusive preview of Kernow’s Adams O2 0-4-4T*
·         Hornby’s SR '2-HAL' EMU
·         Graham Farish New Releases: Class 37/4, Mk 1 CCT, Polybulk bogie hopper, BR 'COVHOP'
·         Realtrack Class 143 Railbus
·         Tried and Tested: Proxxon Tools*
·         Christmas Gift Ideas
·         All the latest news, including Oxford Rail's big announcement, updates from Heljan, Bachmann and more!

Plus
·         Warley NEC Show preview
·         Prototype Inspiration: a selection of modelleable 1980s Speedlink trains from around Britain
·         Readers’ Letters
·         Diary Dates
* Watch the DVD for video footage of this topic.

BRM TV – December DVD

post-22012-0-15267000-1415183066_thumb.png

Layout of the Month: David Phillips’ N gauge Prestatyn
Practical BRM: Phil Parker’s tour of WW1 layout ‘Owen’s Bridge’.
BRM Behind the Scenes: A visit to Barrow Hill Roundhouse
Product Preview: Kernow’s Adams O2
Tried and Tested: Proxxon Power Tools
FREE Kit Download: Market Stall Kit download

post-22012-0-74678400-1415182748_thumb.png

It's a great package for just £4.25 - we hope you enjoy it!

All the Best

Ben

AND a free DVD worth £7.99 AND a Market Stall Kit Download!

Really? I hoped you'd have taken on board the comments from the November issue thread. From the "BRM..the future thread.."

Everyone who buys BRM will benefit from this new package – UK newsstand, export, subscribers and Digital Edition customers. The cost of BRM will be increasing to £4.25 per issue, to cover the basic production costs of the DVD itself. Digital Edition prices will also be affected by a small increase as from October 3rd.

Ben Jones, Managing Editor

BRMTV is now integral to BRM, and you've raised the cover price to pay for it. Given that, how on earth can the DVD be described as free? 

• RMweb Premium

Really? I hoped you'd have taken on board the comments from the November issue thread. From the "BRM..the future thread.."

BRMTV is now integral to BRM, and you've raised the cover price to pay for it. Given that, how on earth can the DVD be described as free? 

Sorry but I'm not 'getting' this 'improvement' either.

Gimmicky extras, snapshot articles and 'free' DVDs just don't do it for me. Give me something to actually read!

I can read something in a room with other people and be sociable. To watch a DVD I prevent others using the TV or disappear upstairs to use the computer. if I watch it on my iPad I have to use headphones...

With all due respect to the contributors involved, the Decemeber issue will have to be a massive improvement over November to stop me cancelling my subscription.

It is all down to marketing. Punters have to make up their own mind whether they approve or not, and hence make a purchase. The Free Market rules!

Stewart

But Stewart, not so easy to do when it's all in a sealed bag and you can't really 'preview' it. :no:

Bags = no sale for me . Most stupid way of trying to sell anything.

I don't want a magazine that you've had your grubby mitts all over and thumbed through, along with 30 other people who used the toilet and didn't wash their hands right before going to the shop!!

Magazine in a bag please, that way it's clean and unused and I know none of the free gifts have been removed. Better yet I'll have the digital edition please.

Mark

• RMweb Premium

I don't want a magazine that you've had your grubby mitts all over and thumbed through, along with 30 other people who used the toilet and didn't wash their hands right before going to the shop!!

Magazine in a bag please, that way it's clean and unused and I know none of the free gifts have been removed. Better yet I'll have the digital edition please.

Mark

Take the one from the back then Mark. We can all browse the front one. Better not use the door handle in the way in, no telling what germs are on that.

What's with the Bachmann Times? I'm confused. Is this the one we will all get sent out to us sometime this month anyway or is it a special edition?

Mark

Good idea ,but how do you know how many people had handled your "pristine" example before bagging     :)

Preview........like going into a chippy etc and previewing a few chips, or perhaps going into a pub and asking for a preview sip... Etc

Staff of the pubs I visit will generally offer (and I mean 'offer') you a 'preview' in the form of a taster sample if you're unsure about whether to buy because:

They are passionate of their product

They know it's appreciated

They want you to come back

They want to spread the word

They care about heir customers

They serve a quality product and what's more it is REAL - Ale that is :yes:

No time for fizz and froth.

• RMweb Premium

Just a thought , are you missing a trick here?

It seems that Railway Modeller , Hornby Mag and BRM all arrive in Newsagents in the same week in the month (usually the second week). Model Rail is all over the place thanks to its 13 issues.  When I go looking for a mag I tend to buy only one, so having all three available at same time means the other two miss out. I do browse so if one or other is in a bag it makes it difficult and unless there's something eyecatching I will probably not bother. But the point is wouldn't it be better having a publication date say in week 4 of a month and creating some space between publication dates,  that way you might pick up sales from folks that bought RM or HM, but two weeks later have read them and are hungry for a new mag. Just a thought. Is there some convention where all mags arrive in week 2 of month?

For me (an old-fashioned git), I don't want a "multi-media" magazine, or free gifts or supplements.  What I do want is a good magazine, but maybe I'm in a minority nowadays.

Ed

One doesn't preclude the other. Some practical techniques (dry-brushing, static grass etc.) have been explained to death in print, but being able to show them on video makes understanding them a lot easier for some people.

If you aren't interested in practical work, then at least you can enjoy looking at layouts and seeing them working.

Can someone explain why Bachmann Times is given away for free? I've had to pay a subscription to receive that magazine! Is it the full version? Is is a taster to tempt people to subscribe who don't already?

I also agree with Ed above dump the add ons - I just want a good magazine to read not all the associated junk. There are copious amounts of how to's on YouTube if you want them.

• Administrators

For me (an old-fashioned git), I don't want a "multi-media" magazine, or free gifts or supplements.  What I do want is a good magazine, but maybe I'm in a minority nowadays.

Ed

Hi Ed,

The pagination of the magazine hasn't gone down at all. In fact, the December issue is 164-pages - our biggest issue for quite some time. And, the quality of the magazine is getting better and better under Ben's editorship. 

Sales of BRM are moving in an upwards direction, which is a rarity in the publishing industry at the moment. 

Like Phil Parker says, the addition of a DVD allows us to further enhance what's already inside the magazine. But, if you don't want to watch the DVD then the magazine content isn't any less useful or entertaining - simply don't watch the DVD.

Steve

• RMweb Premium

FYI... The Digital Edition will now go live tomorrow at 1pm. This is due to the Oxford Rail embargo.

D'oh! :nono:   I've been hanging on the Pocketmags button all morning waiting for it to appear as the chaps in work want to see my layout!!

I hope this Oxford Rail stuff is worth all the froth... :scratchhead:

David

Archived