West Highland Line Freight

scottishlocos

All 

I am fairly up to speed with WHL freight from the past few decades but have a few questions which I hope somebody could answer firstly what was carried in the VBA/VAA/VGA vans which were used in the 80's there are many pictures in books and online but was this traffic from Corpach or Alcan? The same goes for the Cargowaggons which were used  in the 90's and 00's

In addition I have seen OBA wagons in some pictures and had always thought they were for timber traffic but then I seen a pic of them being shunted at Alcan and a further pic showing OBA's at Fort William depot and it is almost certainly metal products being carried.

Thanks

Dave

Having general interest in the line, I'd also be curious to know what was carried in these wagons.

Having had a quick look through a few books, the only possible help I can offer is the following....

The final photo in "Freight Only Vol 3 - Wales and Scotland" shows 37412 heading north into Dumbarton in 1988. Behind the loco are 4xVAA/VDA then part of an OAA/OBA is in view. The rest of the train is out of shot. The caption reads.." Normally 7Y41 conveys empty timber wagons to Arrochar but on this occasion the only traffic was government stores to Glen Douglas"

However, I've seen plenty of photos with VAA/VDAs on trains much further north so doubt if this was the only traffic carried in these vans? Were there occasions when vans to/from Glen Douglas would be tripped via Fort William?

Regards

Alan

All 

I am fairly up to speed with WHL freight from the past few decades but have a few questions which I hope somebody could answer firstly what was carried in the VBA/VAA/VGA vans which were used in the 80's there are many pictures in books and online but was this traffic from Corpach or Alcan? The same goes for the Cargowaggons which were used  in the 90's and 00's

In addition I have seen OBA wagons in some pictures and had always thought they were for timber traffic but then I seen a pic of them being shunted at Alcan and a further pic showing OBA's at Fort William depot and it is almost certainly metal products being carried.

Thanks

Dave

On page 134 of Freight Only Vol 3,  mentioned by Alan above, refers to aluminium ingots for the West Midlands loaded in OCAs from Lochaber.

also mentioned is paper to Pensnett, Wolverton and elswhere from the Corpach paper mill, which would be in vans,

cheers

Hello Dave

I've been looking again at what I have on WHL freight.

An old DVD - Rail Freight Today 3 covers Scotland. I think it dates from the mid 90s and has some good footage taken on the line and inside the Alcan and Corpach factories. Loading arrangements at Alcan (overhead crane) would mean aluminium only being carried on freightliner flats or open wagons. OBAs would be another a possibility, though I've never seen this. Would they be strong enough to carry the ingots? Although, as mentioned, no problem with OCAs. It was interesting to see the freightliner wagons buckle and flex when the aluminium was loaded.

Looking at the size of the paper rolls, they could have been carried in VAA/VDAs or VGAs. One roll in a VDA, possibly two in a VGA, side loaded by large forklift?

The cargowagons remain a mystery - paper from Corpach is a possibility although, during the late 1990s, they appeared on the line at the same time as paper was being carried, sheeted, on freightliner flats. One possibility might have been a short term contract to deliver paper?

Alan

Edited by 60091

Hello Dave

I've been looking again at what I have on WHL freight.

An old DVD - Rail Freight Today 3 covers Scotland. I think it dates from the mid 90s and has some good footage taken on the line and inside the Alcan and Corpach factories. Loading arrangements at Alcan (overhead crane) would mean aluminium only being carried on freightliner flats or open wagons. OBAs would be another a possibility, though I've never seen this. Would they be strong enough to carry the ingots? Although, as mentioned, no problem with OCAs. It was interesting to see the freightliner wagons buckle and flex when the aluminium was loaded.

Looking at the size of the paper rolls, they could have been carried in VAA/VDAs or VGAs. One roll in a VDA, possibly two in a VGA, side loaded by large forklift?

The cargowagons remain a mystery - paper from Corpach is a possibility although, during the late 1990s, they appeared on the line at the same time as paper was being carried, sheeted, on freightliner flats. One possibility might have been a short term contract to deliver paper?

Alan

No problem with the OBAs carrying ingots of aluminium; they're rated to carry the same load as the OCAs, and have similar 'turnover' bolsters on the floor. In the days prior to air-braked wagons being used, I believe both 12t Pipe and 22t Tube wagons were used.

Cargowaggon and similar ferry vans were used to carry paper on both domestic and European flows; the reeled paper on the Freightliner flats was only one of several flows from the plant, another being of 'swap-bodies' on twin-wagon container flats (I seem to recall the swap-bodies belong to Ambrogio). It might be that the VBA/VDA vans were carrying imported pulp to supplement local production; I'm sure I've seen photos of this also being carried in sheeted open wagons. I think the pulp was imported via one of the smaller East Coast ports, perhaps Methil? 

OBA loaded with Alcan ingots can be seen on my website, see 110734 at Warrington Central. 110756 at Workington [sorry Windows 8 doesn't permit copying of URL]

There are various photos of ingots loaded on my site.

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul

In Tom Noble's excellent 'Diesels On The Regions - Scottish Region' there's a photo of a 37 with a single VAA or VBA captioned thus -

"37081 arrives at Crianlarich on 23rd August 1982 with mail from Fort William, for transfer on to the 17.58 Oban to Glasgow train. The locomotive and van will return to Fort William, uplifting any traffic that may be lying at Crianlarich. This arrangement followed the suspension of the 15.20 Corpach to Mossend and the corresponding 13.38 Mossend to Corpach trains."

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

Quick question, did the Corpach freight traffic and the Mallaig tanks have to come into Fort William station to run round?

Ian

The only freight that would needed to be worked into the station would probably be the Tanks on a mixed from Mallaig, there was a direct link into the Mallaig junction yard off the line from Mallaig see this link:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/5746673872/in/set-72157626778604158

The cross over point can be seen at the bottom of the photo. Freights to or from Glasgow reversed direction at Mallaig Junction.

There are a number of views in this album : https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/sets/72157626778604158/   of freight traffic, mainly in the late 1980's

This view shows vans heading for CORPACH on the Lochy viaduct: https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/5746143949/in/set-72157626778604158

Ernie

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

you did'nt imagine it freightliner used to hire a EPS 37 which worked the alcan blocks,forgot where to,the 37 only used to work as far as mossend

heres 37604 waiting to depart fort william 14-8-2000

attachicon.gif37604 FORT WILLIAM (2) 14-8-2000.jpg

vince

An example of this can be seen in the superb DVD Heavy Metal which shows one of the last southbound ingot trains traversing the WHL. The DVD is worth buying for the sound alone although the video is pretty special. All in all Heavy Metal is my favourite WHL DVD by a distance.