Roket Card Glue - does it react with Lead like PVA?

Hi,

I believe Roket Card Glue is recommended for card kits so I thought about asking in the card modelling section but thought you would understand my fears better here.

I have a wagon with 'liquid lead' attached by being flooded with 'Roket Card Glue' making a solid mass. I know there is a reaction between lead and PVA type glues which leads to serious expansion problems. The question is will this happen between Roket Card Glue and lead? Does the tube/pot have what the active base is?

On the other hand it could be an Evostic type product.........

It will not be easy to remove it so i thought I would ask first!

Cheers Tony

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

I believe Roket Card Glue is recommended for card kits so I thought about asking in the card modelling section but thought you would understand my fears better here.

I have a wagon with 'liquid lead' attached by being flooded with 'Roket Card Glue' making a solid mass. I know there is a reaction between lead and PVA type glues which leads to serious expansion problems. The question is will this happen between Roket Card Glue and lead? Does the tube/pot have what the active base is?

On the other hand it could be an Evostic type product.........

It will not be easy to remove it so i thought I would ask first!

Cheers Tony

I have a pot of this, which I haven't opened yet.   Can't see anything on the label about the constituents.   Only has multi-lingual basic instructions/safety info.

You could try looking on www.deluxematerials.com to see if there is further info.

Hello Tony,

IIRC, the problem with PVA and lead shot was that it was in a confined space and this oxidised the lead causing it to swell and then burst the seams on some boilers.

But when the same combinations were used in free space there was no problems.

Or you could use super glue or paint to stick the shot in place.

The chances are that Rocket card glue will have a PVA base.

OzzyO.

From the mouth of te Horse - does this answer your question? 

Shortliner - not quite!  In the clip they are fixing the lead with their Cyno super glue product. NOT the Rocket Card Glue.

Just to make it super clear- the lead is already attached in the bottom of a van, therefore it is 'fixed' on three sides with just the top exposed to the air.

- and yes normally  would use solid lead strip attached with epoxy adhesive, but as this wagon was 'acquired' I am asking the question before the roof is attached.

Tony

The problem with PVA is that the acetic (aka ethanoic) acid in the glue reacts with the lead forming lead acetate which expands and causes the damage. If it's open on one side and got room to expand you should be o.k.  I'm not familiar with Roket card glue - does it smell vinegary?  If it does then it's probably got acetic acid in it. Hope this helps. Ray.

Archived