Wantage Tramway No.5 "Jane" MRJ Articles

hartleymartin

The serialisation of the 7mm build of this loco was back in MRJ but I don't have the numbers to hand. There were also later on a few pics of locos built in various guises.

I think the masters for the castings were done by Laurie Griffin but they do not seem to be listed in his current production on his website - possibly they were exclusive to MRJ.

Kay Butler produced some milled brass frames under her "Wrightlines" banner but pretty sure they are not available nowadays.

Correct pattern wheels were produced by Slaters for the project and are probably still available.

Part 1 was in 1999 issue no 114  and part 5 in 2000. issue no118 .

Sadly I've no idea how many parts it took.

The end model was very nice indeed.

So frustrating to have only the two parts but the illustrations are very good indeed.

If you have no luck pm me and I'll scan what I have.

And keep up the good work!

According to this index, MRJ 114 to 123. http://www.modelrailwayjournal.com/index.php?o=title&s=Wantage+Jane&t=All&g=0&x=0&y=0

Probably about three or four years ago I phoned Wild Swan and was able to buy the two castings packs from them, plus I bought a few other castings (rods, steam brake cylinder etc) as mentioned in the articles from Laurie. So probably worth contacting Wild Swan to see whether they've still got some. Mine are waiting enough Round tuits to get built.

For inspiration, there's nothing better than that Pathe film, lovely stuff.

Cheers,

Andrew

Alan Gibson used to sell a set of profile milled mainframes for this loco. They can probably still be obtained via the "one-off" service advertised. Slater's do the correct wheels. You'll need 1/8" bearings/hornblocks. I have a suspicion that Laurie produced the castings sets for Wild Swan so he may a good source if WS can't help. He certainly does the connecting and coupling rods as mentioned above. They are beautiful castings but mine cost £32 for the set so they're not cheap!

Dave

I just found a site where they sell the connecting and coupling rods for "Jane" - a complete set is 40 quid! WOW!

I always thought that scratch-building was supposed to be cheaper!

I might just have to get the drawings and see what I can scratch build or obtain cheaply.

I'm also exploring the possibility of scratch-building an L class Manning Wardle with the later style cab. That should be managable in styrene and/or brass.

• RMweb Gold

It is always a choice between time and money. Making your own rods will take time and need care but could save you the money. It is your choice. I suppose the question is partly on how comfortable you feel  making the parts.

I did see somewhere possibly in an issue of MRJ someone selling the parts.

Don

Alan Gibson used to sell a set of profile milled mainframes for this loco. They can probably still be obtained via the "one-off" service advertised. Slater's do the correct wheels. You'll need 1/8" bearings/hornblocks. I have a suspicion that Laurie produced the castings sets for Wild Swan so he may a good source if WS can't help. He certainly does the connecting and coupling rods as mentioned above. They are beautiful castings but mine cost £32 for the set so they're not cheap!

Dave

It's nice to see that you miss words out of some of your posts.

I'm looking over the articles then I will look at the costs of acquiring the parts and seeing how much that simplifies construction.

I'm not a die-hard scratch-builder who will make everything from raw materials. If there are good and reasonably priced components out there for me to use, I'll use them.

Guest Isambarduk

"Well, if you make your own from metal sheet, you will probably save yourself at least £39... ;)"

WT5Rods.jpg

I made my own from steel; it takes time but I am quite pleased with the result.  I just about finished building the frames, cylinders, wheel/motor/gearbox and so on at the time of the articles but then the project stalled, as projects sometimes do, but I shall get back to it one day.  The MRJ casting packs do come up at auction from time to time and I would say that they are well worth it, although inevitably I have felt the need to 'fiddle' with some of them!

David

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just found a fair few 4mm bits I bought, I was going to have my first go at scratch building this 17 years ago! But just going for a likeness not a finescale model.

Obviously the drawings were in 7mm I reduced them on a photocopier to be close enough.

Lost the magazines and photocopies now though, found issue 114 on eBay and a couple others of the 10 needed, May resurrect it if I can get the info again. Goofle brought me here. Any info would be welcomed.

• RMweb Premium

I might have these but it'll take time to find them.

I do wish she was called by her 'proper' name though. She's 'Shannon' from the Sandy & Potton Tramway (1850)

Cheers Chris I have put a bid in on 114 issue to start me off £4ish inc posting, its for two the other is issue 95 or there abouts so not any use. I'll keep checking eBay to for more.

• RMweb Gold

A quick scan of the MRJ index shows you need 115 to 123, I've got them all and can scan but it will take time (work etc)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A quick scan of the MRJ index shows you need 115 to 123, I've got them all and can scan but it will take time (work etc)

Brilliant Chris I did win the eBay auction on issue 114 and have as of yesterday. I would gladly take you up on your offer time is not an issue as it will take me a fair time to make it! I can reimburse any expenses Cheers.

• RMweb Gold

Brilliant Chris I did win the eBay auction on issue 114 and have as of yesterday. I would gladly take you up on your offer time is not an issue as it will take me a fair time to make it! I can reimburse any expenses Cheers.

Leave it with me and I'll try and scan them this week. I'll PM when they're done.

Coming from Sandy, Shannon (Jane) has an appeal to me as well so I'm interested to revisit the articles. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've sent a PM regarding a file transfer.

For anyone interested. In the last 2 days some murals have been affixed around town one of which is 'Shannon' aka 'Jane' but in her original guise without a cab. Used for just a couple of years on the Sandy & Potton Tramway, this was a private line built solely on Captain William Peels (VC) land so no act of parliament was required. She was officially named 'Shannon' by Captain Peels mother after the ship he commanded.

post-4738-0-64741500-1512060657_thumb.jpg

• Like 5