This is my project to turn the Airfix/Mainline/Dapol/Hornby N2 into something looking more like the full-size counterpart. I've always liked N2s and have known the solitary preserved example since 1984 when I first went to the GCR.

For at least two of my intended fleet, I shall be using the Hornby incarnation of the N2, simply because the decoration is rather excellent and the plastic is of a better quality.

I had already made a start on the first model before the challenge was announced, but it's at such an early stage that I thought I'd include it. Here's how the body looks at present. I've already sent my much-modified smokebox door off to Graeme King for casting up, so that will reappear fairly soon, as and when he gets round to doing it.

post-6712-0-70667400-1426797695_thumb.jpg

post-6712-0-35620000-1426797731_thumb.jpg

For the chassis I shall be using the excellent etch available from Dave Bradwell. This has the added advantage of giving the modeller the option to model any one of the class. This one will be one of the RH drive locos, though the identity hasn't been chosen yet; I'm still perusing the pages of Yeadon!

More to come as and when.....

Be most interested to watch this, Tim, in particular how you get on with the Bradwell chassis.

Phil

Thanks Phil! Yes, it'll be an interesting one, since it'll be the first of a small fleet.

Whose wheels are you using, and in what gauge?

On account of my needing more than just one or two, I'll be going for economies of cost and using Gibson wheels throughout, to P4 gauge. :)

shout when you want the details checking

Will do, Steve! Guess having the preserved one on your doorstep is rather useful ;)

Cheers,

Be most interested to watch this, Tim, in particular how you get on with the Bradwell chassis....

It's supposed to be his most straightforward one. I've been looking at my sample, which is eventually going under a very old Rod Neep etched body....

Three more pics, showing other work dealt with so far. The front has one main issue (other than the aforementioned smokebox door) in that the sandboxes have gained extra plastic on the inside edges above the main frames. This is down to needing to accommodate 00 wheels. Since I'm doing P4 and indeed using a decent chassis, these extraneous bits are dispensed with and filled with plasticard scraps from the inside. The result is the right width of the steam chest and also allows daylight between smokebox and sandboxes either side.

post-6712-0-16079200-1426871598_thumb.jpg

post-6712-0-21979900-1426871564_thumb.jpg

The other issue I've dealt with for now (some handrails have been replaced) is removing the pipework along the running plate valence. It's of the wrong shape and looks horrible anyway. I'll deal with its replacement when the chassis etch arrives, since the vacuum trip cock apparatus needs to be linked into it. A lens cap makes a handy prop in order to show such areas without it being just dark...

post-6712-0-83247400-1426871621_thumb.jpg

That's all for now. Still musing on ways of producing a decent-shaped dome for the GNR-built locos....

The one thing I've been looking out for is a decent N2 chimney that actually looks like the N2 chimney. The brass turning I've got is much too curvy - should be straighter in the vertical.

The one on the bodyshell as it comes isn't too bad, in fairness.  As for the rather squat dome that bears no resemblance whatsoever to either type.....

• 2 weeks later...

I have received some rather nice goods from Graeme King, via a collection from York (thanks Messrs Wealleans and Foren!).  A quick fettle plus a blast of primer to show the detail and we have a nice smokebox door that actually looks like it's for an N2.  Destination brackets are yet to come, but that requires measuring the ones up on 1744/69523.

post-6712-0-63412200-1428514631_thumb.jpg

Cheeky broadside......

post-6712-0-99049400-1428514695_thumb.jpg

Handrail, door dart and lamp irons will be next on the agenda.  I have to say that I am very pleased with how these have come out indeed. :)

that door is indeed a vast improvement. Are you measuring up 69523 yourself or do you want to send a sketch "map" up for me to have a go at?

Thanks Steve.  Yes please to the latter - I'll drop you over some key bits I need.  They're fairly straight-forward, but I've got ideas on how to make them be able to hold more than one destination board at a time, much like the real things.

Given that the door seems to be a one-off, I wonder what the "master" was? I did think about using a Dave Bradwell door, with the straps suitably lengthened.

Actually, that door is freely available (now) from Graeme.  I made the master from a much-rebuilt original N2 door, with a few new plasticard rings (compass cutters are great!).  I've got enough for my small fleet of N2s now anyway.

OT, but did you manage to make any further progress with your "Princess" in the end?

It's now in the "when I can be bothered" pile.  Major focus is now on planning and last bits of research for Farringdon, hence the N2s and a trio of these: (also OT)

post-6712-0-84196100-1425848459.jpg

Archived