Lunester Lounge 2017.... for ANY topic you wish to discuss

• RMweb Premium

I had some stuff when I was in the Band and I cant remember what its called but it was good, it made the Neck and string very slippery and silky smooooooooooth.

Ah - that would have been Boogie Juice which was a most excellent product which had a lot of lemon oil in it, but which had the decided disadvantage that it was also highly inflammable and could cause the cloths used to apply it to catch fire spontaneously.

'Fast Fret' ?

Came later and is like a wad of dura glit with a little handle - good stuff, but not so much fun, and even that has been changed over the years,

• Like 1

Ah just like when the cloths used to linseed oil the cricket bats later burst into flames in the bin - ask me how I know!

I remember my mate slathering his flying V neck in lemon oil based stuff out of a black bottle with psychedelic writing. It stunk to high heaven and I found that like many other things, I was allergic to it.

I found a long time ago with lacquered maple necks that the best way to get them slick was polishing them with denim. I polished my Tokai Springy Sound neck to within a gnat's crotchet of having no finish on it at all over the years. I hope whoever stole it is still enjoying it ... #######s.

attachicon.giftechnic.jpg

This thing has just killed my arthritic thumbs, but  needs must when my grandson wants it done and done NOW! These things are overly complicated.

I am now going to lie down my head hurts!

That's only a small one this is the one that took over 6 hours to build

24596257101_a2a60fda7e_b.jpg2016-01-29_03-29-28 by brian mosby, on Flickr

• Like 5

Just remember, you can also do your own thing...

23635940244_11fc24e87c_c.jpg100_1650 by Peach James, on Flickr

Or, say,

17876782322_4ccf386824_c.jpgM4H02102 by Peach James, on Flickr

But, be careful, the following can happen...

23637355563_3cbebddebe_c.jpg100_1651 by Peach James, on Flickr

(now off to finish dinner- I've been boxing up lego to take to a show next weekend...)

James

• Like 10

Still feeling carp and lacking sleep, but well cheered up by the last couple of posts! I ended up putting together a CAT model of a self building crane with great grandson on Christmas Day ( Luckily I'd done some work wit them for real during one of my six month working in industry periods whilst at uni!). What was a shocking realisation was that it didn't seem that long since I was doing it with his dad and uncle (now 27 and 24!).

Kind regards,

Jock.

It's been very quiet on here lately. I hope you're feeling a bit better now Jock.

I'm currently studying a problem concerning my Great great great Grandfather, Nathaniel Gill. His family came from Leasingham. He was born in India in 1818. I assume his father was in the army there, unfortunately I'm not sure about his father's name though I think it was John. We think that his mother may have been a local Indian woman (a lot of that went on).

Nathaniel came to Leasingham and married his cousin Mary Gill (her Father was also Nathaniel) in 1837. His census entries all state born East India (British Subject) except one which I can't quite read.

post-19433-0-01446700-1454510539_thumb.jpg

This seems to give an actual place of birth. Can anyone make out what is says?

Edited to amend image

It's been very quiet on here lately. I hope you're feeling a bit better now Jock.

I'm currently studying a problem concerning my Great great great Grandfather, Nathaniel Gill. His family came from Leasingham. He was born in India in 1818. I assume his father was in the army there, unfortunately I'm not sure about his father's name though I think it was John. We think that his mother may have been a local Indian woman (a lot of that went on).

Nathaniel came to Leasingham and married his cousin Mary Gill (her Father was also Nathaniel) in 1837. His census entries all state born East India (British Subject) except one which I can't quite read.

EastIndia.jpg

This seems to give an actual place of birth. Can anyone make out what is says?

Edited to amend image

Lesingham

Ewerby

Hickington

Edited by sp1

Thanks Sp1, but Leasingham, Ewerby and Heckington are all well known to me, the family has connections to all three places. It's the East India location that's the problem.

I'm pretty sure that it begins Mor, from other bits of handwriting n the census form and seems to end with ota

Also I am told that the 'British Subject' tag precludes the possibility of an Indian mother, but not always. My great grandmother claimed that he was Indian.

Advice for anybody attempting to track down their ancestors - do it while as many as possible are still living, ask questions and write it down.

Thanks Sp1, but Leasingham, Ewerby and Heckington are all well known to me, the family has connections to all three places. It's the East India location that's the problem.

I'm pretty sure that it begins Mor, from other bits of handwriting n the census form and seems to end with ota.

Also I am told that the 'British Subject' tag precludes the possibility of an Indian mother, but not always. My great grandmother claimed that he was Indian.

Advice for anybody attempting to track down their ancestors - do it while as many as possible are still living, ask questions and write it down.

Oops... I see...

I think that is Moerota- look at the third and fourth letters compared to the er in Ewerby below

• Like 1

Have you tried looking at Military records - I no longer have s subscription to findmypast or I would have had a look: they are easy to search. (You can search without a subscription but finding a particular John Gill might be difficult as the free search doesn't give much detail- there are some Nathan/ Nathaiels listed).

Also have you considered the East India Company, which had its own army?

Yeah I've searched through everything available online over the last five years or so using Ancestry and FMP. I no longer have subscriptions to either, Ancestry have effectively killed their site now, I can't find a browser it will work in.

Just came across it again today and thought I'd give it a shot with a few more pairs of eyes. The enumerators back then just wrote down what they thought they heard (in almost illegible scrawl sometimes) and modern transcribers write what they think they see. It doesn't help :)

Just had another thought - have you looked at medal rolls for the early campaign medals as these are fairly readily available, or even googled for the name and add medal to the name in the search, it's surprising what auction records might turn up

Thanks for your ideas, I'll see what turns up, it's surprising how often information suddenly appears in the places you have looked many times before.

I know what you mean - only a few years ago found out that one ancestor had been in the army after finding him in the 1851 census as a Chelsea Pensioner - I had had no need to find him in the census about 40 years ago ( a very laborious process back then) as I had numerous certificates and his and his fathers wills etc. it turns out he was involved in the notorious (to the Americans) battle of the Raison River (see Google/ Wikipedia etc). His service record gives the usual detail: height, hair/ eye colour, skin etc, and records the fact that he was invalided out after being shot through the elbow during the battle. After all that detail it neglects to say which elbow!!

What he was doing in the army I don't know - his father was very well off, yet he was a private!

I have a copy of his will - and a few lines make him and his son (also my direct ancestor) among my favourite ancestors- the line in his will says 'to my son Samuel I leave one shilling and no more. He is a drunken and ungodly man'

I'll get round to framing that one day and hanging it on the wall!!

• Like 3

I had a photograph of a very young man in army uniform. I'd found it amongst my Grandad's things after he died. The only information I had was 'Jack' written on the back.

post-19433-0-91752600-1454670136.jpg

I traced his regiment from the cap badge and buttons, which turned out to be the Duke Of Wellington's West Yorkshire Regiment. It took me ages trawling through lists on Ancestry but I eventually found him. Unfortunately a lot of his records had been destroyed during WWII, but I found that he had been transferred to the 2nd Manchesters and sadly died about a week before the armistice. I'm hoping to get out to the cemetery where he is actually buried in two years time to mark 100 years since he died.

I should add that until I fund the photograph I had no idea that he or another of my Granddad's cousins who also died in WWI, even existed.

Edited by HeeleyBridge
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I see another good un has left to form the Super Group in the Sky, Maurice White, the founder of Earth Wind and Fire,  he was 74 and died in his sleep, but suffered from Parkinsons Disease.

Agree with you there, Andy. Though my taste in popular music (as against classical, which I love) slants towards rock, the disco era was a background to my time at uni. Earth Wind & Fire were prominent, and who could mistake Maurice with his flamboyant clothing and characteristic hair-do!?

A lot of the musicians we admire are passing away. Bowie was a real shock - and so many don't even get a mention.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Morning Peter.

Your initial photo and clue #1 had me thinking, and produced a potential list (for me) of 5: Isaac Newton, William Herschel, James Clerk Maxwell, Paul Dirac and Michael Faraday.

Newton's home in Lincolnshire is too rural and Maxwell's Scottish background doesn't square with you living in the deep south of England (I assume you took the photo). 

Your second clue begs the question of how well-known the other 3 may be to the general public. Irrespective of their astronomical work (Herschel) and quantum mechanics development (resulting in one of the five key Physics equations), I can't see the other two being popular in a vote. Faraday was on a banknote for a long time (the fiver?)....

So my "educated guess" is that it's Michael Faraday - key developer of electromagnetism - who owns the front key.

Jeff