Lunester Lounge 2017.... for ANY topic you wish to discuss

• RMweb Premium

Sooty?

hat,coat etc

Yes, I remember the great scientist Sooty, PhD DSc FRS Emeritus Professor of Carbon Studies at Sweep University, Battersea Power Station.

Made great contributions to environmental work and was a renowned TV celebrity, known for his slapstick humour.

Rumoured to be a good friend of Sir Michael Faraday in his youth in 19th century London and a frequent attendee at the Royal Society Lectures....

Jeff

• Like 1

Sooty it is! Well done!

I was always worried as I could often understand what Sweep was saying

Sorry, I meant Faraday. Seems strange to think that the grat man would've stood on that step and walked up the path.

A couple of doors down lived Christopher Wren - different era of course though.

• Like 2

Now that's what I call a stimulating conversation, well done to all involved!

Sorry I've not been very active of late, my sleeping and breathing difficulties are catching up with me, 18 months of no smoking and I feel worse now than ever!

Soon to be sorted, hopefully.

Take care all and have a great day.

Cheers,

John.

• RMweb Premium

Now that's what I call a stimulating conversation, well done to all involved!

Sorry I've not been very active of late, my sleeping and breathing difficulties are catching up with me, 18 months of no smoking and I feel worse now than ever!

Soon to be sorted, hopefully.

Take care all and have a great day.

Cheers,

John.

Good to see you posting on here, John. You've been notably absent, and I'm sure we all wish you a speedy resolution and recovery with your health problems.

Jeff

Thank you, Jeff!

That's very much appreciated. I don't want to harp on about it but just for info;

I've always had a bit of trouble sleeping, probably ever since I was a nipper. It wasn't noticed too much until I got married(!) but I had really poor sleep as the slightest disturbance would wake me up and I'd be hours going back to sleep. My wife was a little on the large size so tended to bounce the bed rather!

Also, I'd had jobs where I could start at 2Pm or even do night shift so it wasn't too much of a problem unless I was going on holiday the next day, an exhibition or some such.

Anyway my wife (Bev) noticed that I did ocasionally wake with a right old cough and splutter, or even, stop breathing for a few moments then draw in a huge breath. Finally when her weight caused her to be diagnosed with sleep apnoea (she got a machine to help, then lost a LOT of weight), she said that I too must have it.

So, tests! Which a couple of years ago showed mine to be quite mild at about 5/6 per hour, then they thought it was my sinuses so I had that done for no improvement in my breathing. Back for more tests and now, they tell me that I have "paradoxical breathing" - where my lungs work in an inverted way, upshot is that I am short of oxygen while I sleep! Apparently, this could be due to a trama and I do remember slamming into a tree when riding downhill, offroading on my bike! I walked away at the time, with a laugh! I was also slightly crushed by a fork-lift once! That was enough to squeeze me and cause a yell but I didn't feel injured.

Well, I'm hoping to soon be getting a Bi-Pap machine to help out at night so may soon become a bone-fide "hose head"!!!

Unfortunately this all leaves me with very little energy, I can get an 8 hour sleep, feel shattered and need a long kip later that day.

Also, unfortunately, it leaves me a bit short tempered and my ability to suffer fools (already low) is much, much diminished. Nothing to do with any of the Lunesters, I might add!!!

No! I've been speaking quite forthrightly about one of this sites prime advertisers and I may well end up getting banned.

I don't want to say anymore, publicly, but I feel a parting of the ways coming on.

So! If I do disapear suddenly, I would like to thank Jeff and all the other various Lunesters in all their shapes and forms, all the very best - it's been great, you've inspired me no end, you've even brought me back to love the Midland Railway(!) as well as many other great British prototypes and we've had the greatest of laughs and shared insights into astronomy, physics, art, music, history and more.

As the dolphins said "So long and thanks for all the fish"!

John.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Brilliant post, John.

You started the S&C section, so we'll be hoping you don't get banned!

If you DO disappear, all the best with everything. And if we managed to get you back to OO from HO, well, we've done well!!

Jeff

I agree Jeff, A brilliant post John, you have my phone No f you want a chat anytime, (although preferably NOT at 2 in the morning) hahahha.

If people like you get banned then what is FREE SPEACH ALL ABOUT?

All the best from the nutter down South.

John, I hope for one that you don't disappear. I've seen that happen to lots of online friends over the years. 

[mod hat]
Andy, free speech does not exist on the interweb I'm afraid.

As I've had to tell many contributors to many forums over the years, if you want free speech start your own forum, where you can say what you want. This one is ours and we reserve the right to remove anybody that doesn't agree with us.

I have to say that most people were not banned for their views, just their general behaviour, usually name calling and general @ss-hattery.

[/mod hat]

We now return you to our normal programming and hope your morning has not been disturbed too much.

• RMweb Premium

I take your point Dave.

One of the problems of forums like this is the general "lemming-like" behaviour of the participants. Some people will do anything not to offend, and never, ever say or do anything remotely controversial. Some of the best threads are those with a bit of a feisty element to them - best if it's not openly hostile, but genuinely "heated" discussion can (sometimes) be a good thing.

The Lunester threads are relatively calm, but I'd like to think that's because we are of a similar mind, rather than everyone is following the "party line" set by the OP - sometimes me. I really would prefer people to say what they think and if I'm not strong enough to take a bit of criticism, then I shouldn't be on here. Go back to August last year, start of the KL2 thread, and you'll find one contributor - who now seems to have left - accusing me of having "followers" who were all "yes men". Not the case, and something I wouldn't want.

As for commenting about some of the advertisers - I've never felt the need to do so (I blatantly ignore them), but would have my say if I really got irritated. If the Mods don't like it then they are free to remove me. I've built up my contact base through the Forum and wouldn't shed too many tears if they annoyed me so much I had to leave. Unfortunately, as I said at the start, too many people on here are either totally apathetic or just basically do what they are told.

As a final point, I'll go back to something I've said many times in my KL threads. CONSTRUCTIVE criticism is a very good idea and often leads to progress. Straight criticism, just for the sake of it, is just negative and gets us nowhere.

Your comment about "free speech" on forums is pretty much right. However, we always have the right to vote with our feet and go elsewhere if we get annoyed. If we all did that, the advertisers wouldn't be too happy!!

Jeff

• Like 1

I find most of RMWeb a nice place to be and most people do get on very well. I find it fascinating to be able to 'talk' to people that I have followed and admired for many years, such as Larry Goddard and Allan Downes. Then there are the people I would never have come across by normal means, such as yourself and the others who hang out here and build layouts that I can only dream of and at a rate that I could never achieve (looks sideways at Mr Bodgit).

On the threads that cause chaos controversy, I know that on forums I have moderated (which were much more tightly monitored) that some would have been given their marching orders long ago, not necessarily the ones you might expect though. I can only give credit for the very 'hands off' approach of Andy Y and his helpers.

On advertising, I heard a very funny conversation on the bus this morning.

Little old lady : So you'll come along to our church breakfast club then?

Young mum with toddler : Ooh yes, a nice bacon sandwich and a cup of tea would be nice.

Little old lady : Ah, that's a little bit controversial at the moment. Heeley Farm sponsors our Breakfast Club and the man in charge there is into healthy eating and frowns on bacon sandwiches.

Young mum : But we were there last week admiring their new litter of piglets. What does he raise them for?

Little old lady :  ...<rolls eyes and sighs>

My flabber is ghasted!

• Like 6

I agree Jeff, A brilliant post John, you have my phone No f you want a chat anytime, (although preferably NOT at 2 in the morning) hahahha.

If people like you get banned then what is FREE SPEACH ALL ABOUT?

All the best from the nutter down South.

I was just going to click the Agree button but didn't want to upset you about third statement :scared:

Jeff,

I think you've said it all, and I remember the incident you referred to about a fellow 'star-gazer' parting with some rather rude comments. I have never been a 'yes-man' in my life, but I simply took to you, your background and the way you reason and build layouts that I certainly couldn't manage myself. Based on this, I look on you as a 'digital friend', but I believe I have at times made suggestions which you have discussed amicably. The person mentioned above, appeared rather to be making 'pronouncements of incontrovertible fact' as he saw it - not topics for discussion. My lengthy career in dealing with people has shown that in any sample size you select, there will always be a percentage that you wouldn't deal with again. Life is easier if you simply elect to ignore or shun those that upset you. I find most advertising, especially the patronising pathetic ones, really annoying at any time and so I only read it if I'm looking for something specific. Now over to KL2 for a bit of sanity!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Jock. 

I think my job on here is made relatively easy by the people who contribute. There's a lot of good humour and a lot of constructive comments. I PM'd Jason the other night, asking if he was ok as he'd been noticeably absent for a while. With his usual humour, he said that all was ok, he'd been looking in but he hadn't offered any of his telling comments because I "hadn't strayed from the path". Great stuff - comments made with a smile.

Agree about adverts. I don't even notice them on this Forum anymore - other than their loading seems to slow my laptop down a little.

All the best - I notice it was another early morning post!

Jeff

• Like 2

Afternoon Jeff,

Going through a really bad patch with the health at the moment, but the treatment I'm getting is fantastic! The wonderful drug that has given me eighteen months more life than my original prognosis has sadly stopped working (it actually does this after 6 - 8 months for most people!) but meanwhile, a new one has just been released and I'm only the hospital's third patient to have it - they start you on a low dose and subject to fortnightly blood tests and check, gradually increase the strength. My first check is on Thursday. Meanwhile, I start a five day targeted radiotherapy course on the 15/02 to try to alleviate pain in my pelvis. Bad headaches have also featured, so I'm having a brain scan on 16th to eliminate the cancer from the scene. To help me control the pain at the moment, I'm on increased morphine so can't drive, and the oncologist has given me a course of steroids to help me fight it all. This means more side effects as the combination has led to the quite common 'oral thrush' which is treated with a couple of foul tasting potions. Hence the late night posts, as I never know when I'll get a sleep. I absorb 36 different medications in a twenty four hour period, so the iPad diary system is indispensable at the moment.

Another three weeks or so should see me climbing the other side of the curve, and there is no slackening in my resolve to beat the b*stard thing for as long as I can. I really do want to get some modelling done this spring!

Meanwhile, your sites, ERs, the support of AndyP, Ian(Oldddudders), and many many others, really lifts me for which I'm truly grateful,

I'll look in on the next plastering job on KL2 later hopefully.

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening Jock.

All the best with the treatments. We are all rooting for you.

On a far less serious note, I can offer you something in KL2 - but this time it's not plastering...

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

36 medications in 24 hours Jock. I'll never complain again! Hang in there my friend :friends:, your health team sound amazing. Have they got you drinking apple cider vinegar? The Americans believe that the alkaline properties it sets up in the system create a hostile environment for cancer.

Loss of sleep really knocks you for six. For some reason I've been waking up with bad hypoglycemia every morning this week and feel like I've had no sleep at all. (Explains my absence). Obviously I'm very grumpy and can't expect Mrs. S. to fully understand but it leads to disagreements quite rapidly :nono:. Yesterday I had to deal with unblocking a grey water sewer which led to further "Hypos". At least we can have clean clothes haha!   :imsohappy:Today I'm pretty much cream crackered! 

As for free speech.

In this day and age everyone should be able to say what they want without any repercussion (otherwise it's not free speech), it's weather or not what is said is heard.

For an example...

I don't like sports so have never read the sports section of any newspaper. This goes for RMweb, if it does not interest me I don't read it and calmly scroll on by. If something offends I try to do the same. On occasion I have stepped up and made my point relying on the principles of free speech. To ban someone for speaking  out because you don't agree is totally unacceptable because if you don't like what you have read all you have to do is know better next time and calmly scroll on past!

As anyone heard from Rob lately. I miss his take on newly released locomotives they added so much to my mornings!

Regards to all Shaun.

Once again Jock, all the best. I can't add anything that has not already been said, but I will keep my fingers and everything else crossed for you. Like many people on RMW, we have never, as far as I know, met but I look upon you as a good friend. Really it is one good thing about this site.

Derek

• Like 1

As Lent begins tomorrow, I thought I'd give RMweb a bit of a break as I spend (far) too much time on here. I'm not taking umbridge over anything or throwing stuff out of my pram; just to leave you all in peace for a bit.

My predictions for the next 40 days:

1) Andy will make a lot of changes to Pencarne.

2) Jeff's Fell might well be green

3) John won't get banned from anything - he was such a nice lad when I knew him and couldn't see him getting banned from anything

Best wishes to all, especially those with health issues at the moment.

Regards,

Peter

:senile: 

• Like 6

Thanks chaps for the nice supportive comments which definitely give me a lift, and please don't stay away too long Peter as we would all miss your special brand of humour, peppered as it is with nuggets of good advice from your lengthy experience!

Derek, I too have found many good digital friends on RMweb, and it really has helped me fight. The dialogue with people like Shaun and yourself with different but serious conditions, has always been instructive, and not forgetting all we learn about railways and modelling. For example, I hope to have one of the original class 20s that visited Hurlford, and you might guess that I'll be using the information that I saved from years back, written by our very own Peter Kazmierczak!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 6

As Lent begins tomorrow, I thought I'd give RMweb a bit of a break as I spend (far) too much time on here. I'm not taking umbridge over anything or throwing stuff out of my pram; just to leave you all in peace for a bit.

My predictions for the next 40 days:

1) Andy will make a lot of changes to Pencarne.

2) Jeff's Fell might well be green

3) John won't get banned from anything - he was such a nice lad when I knew him and couldn't see him getting banned from anything

Best wishes to all, especially those with health issues at the moment.

Regards,

Peter

:senile: 

Hi Peter,

Thank you so much for this, I'm highly flattered! Enjoy your break!

Hi All,

Well, much to my surprise, I could still 'log in' just now, maybe my comments were just okay enough to be acceptable if not acted upon (which is entirely fine!). I've had my say (in the right places) and that is all that really needs to be said, I think!

Thank you all so very much for your kind comments, I am truly humbled. My health matters seem to pale in comparison to dear Jock, I feel silly complaining about bad sleep when I read of your trials, dear boy - I need to follow your example more, you are an inspiration.

All the best,

John.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I am afraid I limit what I do on the forum at the moment as otherwise I would get no time to do any modelling so it takes a while to catch up.

Jock,

Glad to see you are still in there punching.  All the best with the new medication, hope it has positive long term effects.

John,

Hope your machine works.   I knew someone with sleep aponea and they put this plaster across their nose and surprisingly it worked.  Do you remember Robbie Fowler the Liverpool footballer used to have that piece of tape across his nose?  Same thing.

• Like 1