Great Central Railway news

andyram

Contry to my last post about alignment, appears the machine must have been 'stored' out of alignment, giving the wrong impression. Today it was in a position where I'd expect it to be. Imagine this scene in a few years time.

Edit: It's the Diesel gala next week (1st / 2nd July), 2 train service passing at Rushcliffe Halt, loco line up 33035, 41001, 45060, 47292, 47765, 47828, 56097, 73110. More info incl the Free Heritage Bus Shuttles and the Beer-Ex on the Saturday can be found here: http://gcrn.co.uk/events/2017-events/diesel-gala/

post-22343-0-71108400-1498341406_thumb.png

Edited by srihaggis
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Spotted on an unofficial GCR facebook page this afternoon is a photograph or two of the Gap with a big crane and a couple of artic lorries dropping off the first pre-cast units for the abutments.  Exceptionally good news; we're out the ground and on the way! 

• Like 2

Spotted on an unofficial GCR facebook page this afternoon is a photograph or two of the Gap with a big crane and a couple of artic lorries dropping off the first pre-cast units for the abutments.  Exceptionally good news; we're out the ground and on the way! 

If you like watching concrete dry, so to speak :no:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

There's a lot happening on the GCR this weekend, including a Post Office train running on the mainline and other attractions. I just managed to find an hour to revisit Mountsorrel, to see [but sadly not ride on] the first through railcars to run from Rothley up the branch to Mountsorrel via Swithland Sidings. Hopefully there will be more when the signalling changes at Swithland Sidings can be made.

Here is one of the trains passing the lovely woodland walk at Nunckley Hill.

post-14654-0-15729000-1500757864_thumb.jpg

The museum area in the old quarry at Nunckley Hill has really progressed since I last visited nearly a year ago. I was there during the lunchtime lull between shunting demonstrations - I must catch these another time. Here is the 48DS Ruston resting, ahead of a train of restored wagons in Mountsorrel quarry and other liveries.

post-14654-0-38798700-1500756790_thumb.jpg

This Ellis & Everard wagon in bright yellow really catches the eye. Didn't Hornby make one of these once?

post-14654-0-27869500-1500757851_thumb.jpg

The museum site and track layout can be seen from the nature walk path.

post-14654-0-38630000-1500757883_thumb.jpg

There is a Ruston LBT, also in yellow, and two wagons on the triangular layout of 2 foot gauge track which is also new. It wasnt running today but has its own little shed. 

post-14654-0-22657200-1500757894_thumb.jpg

Definitely a location to visit again [open again on Sunday] as it changes and gets better every time. 

Dava

• Like 11

attachicon.gif48DS Mountsorrel.jpg

This Ellis & Everard wagon in bright yellow really catches the eye. Didn't Hornby make one of these once?

attachicon.gifEllis Everard wagon mountsorrel.jpg

Yes, Hornby did the yellow Ellis & Everard wagon a couple of years back. Powsides do transfers for that livery as well. It's the wagon that used to be on display at Snibston museum, IIRC the 48DS is the one that was used there. 

Nice to see the wagon painted up in 'Snibston' PO livery as well- Anyone know if that has been done at Mountsorrel, as I'm not sure I ever recall Snibston having a wagon in the original Snibston PO wagon colours? 

I'd forgotten this was happening this weekend- It may not be as high-profile as the GCR's bridge and museum, but it's good to see this project progressing so well!

Edited by Invicta

Just a quick reminder, this weekend is the Model Rail show at Ruddington. Open from 10:00 till 16:30 daily (last admission 16:00). 17 Visiting Layouts, 7 traders + the Model Rail Club permanent layouts. More info available here (Clicky).

Layouts are located in the main engineering shed, the bus garage and a visiting layout will be located in the "Ruddington Model Railway Club's" new layout room which is yet to house a permanent layout, and will be the first time the new extension has been used by the public. The 'Bridge to the Future' marketing side of GCR will also be present with their working layout and TV with bridge related content :)

Service train wise, Prototype HST 41001 and Crompton 33035 will be operating on Saturday, with the resident 8F operating steam services on Sunday. All services this weekend depart Ruddington at 11am, 1pm and 3pm, and are formed of 4 coaches. Catering will be available onboard on Saturday only, serving hot and cold refreshments from the RFM / Buffet coach.

Edited by srihaggis
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Copied from GCRN Facebook Page

Due to (steam) loco failure, this Saturday (12th) will be diesel hauled with class 45 - 45060 (Sherwood Forester). Sunday (13th) will be diesel hauled with Class 33 - 33035

Timetable available here: http://gcrn.co.uk/timetables-prices/timetables/

Sounds like a Sulzer weekend!

Dava

Meanwhile at the other end of the line the website is advertising 70013 "Oliver Cromwell" as being service over this weekend, working alongside Standard 2 78018. Today 6990 "Witherslack Hall" arrived back after its stay at the East Lancs. Earlier in the week the shed showed signs of two further locomotives close to returning to steam.

post-13478-0-84114400-1502493254_thumb.jpgpost-13478-0-89134300-1502493307_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Here is the site of the MML crossing today. The north bridge abutment structural steelwork can be seen with the precast sections behind. The  south side abutment opposite is at the full height. Progress well under way for the planned  installation of the bridge over the  MML in three weeks time!

Keep the funds flowing for continued progress....

post-14654-0-27331300-1502652516_thumb.jpg

Dava

• Like 5

I was under the impression the shed was staying put and the single line running down the side of it.

Initially I think that is the plan, but I believe that the railway is looking for an alternative location for the shed. Sadly the original plan to rebuild the old Workington shed on the old tip site has long since died a death.

• RMweb Gold

Is that the big pile of scrap metal up at Swith?

Would have thought trying to build on the old tip won't be a good idea, gasses etc and hope it don't sink  :jester:

There are many developments built on old tips, so that may not necessarily be the whole story, with proper management of ventilation it isn't really an issue, the next time you go to your local retail park look for the stack vents with spinners on top and a plant room in one of the corners, a telltale sign of a tip underneath.

It maybe that the cost of conformation and continued control of the site is one of the issues, or it could be the tip is just too noxious.

Mike.

Bridge bearing beams went in at oh-dark-hundred hours this morning.  Getting the bridge deck in surely can't be that far off now?- especially considering how the hire cost of a 1250-tonne crane is not exactly a piffling sum?

Edited by James Harrison
  • Like 2