Great Central Railway news

andyram

On the subject of trains working directly to and from thr Mountsorrel branch - the current signalling arrangements allow only non-passenger workings. The GCR have confirmed they will upgrade the signalling at Swithland for regular passenger workings but the cost is £75,000. According to the current edition of Main Line, £70,000 has already been raised. Regular workings may not be too far away.

A long run on a preserved line could be a good substitute for a main line rail tour at most likely the fraction of the cost with what will most likely be a similar sized locomotive evem maybe the same locomotive. Who knows in the future that might be all that's available if main line running ever comes to an end.

I recently went to an air show at Duxford and returned a few months later deliberately on a non flying day so I could look around the museums and displays. Both visits took a day each so I would definitely go to a steam running day at a long preserved railway and return to see the static exhibits if they were there.

As most of the land and infrastructure is already there it would be silly for the railway in this case not to use it and develop it in the future it might be one of the few places where one will be able to experience period express train speeds.

• RMweb Premium

The unified GCR is never going to get any longer than the two sections are now. When a preserved HST is running on the whole line in a few years the journey could be fairly quick - the NRM are intending to preserve at least part of an HST, where better to run it than paired with the prototype power car & trailers!

Dava

If the NRM fail to preserve any of a HST, they'll need to be rounded up, taken out the back and dealt with.

A regular HST power car and a couple of trailers is such an obvious thing for the GCR to have - to pair with the prototype, because it's a "main line" and because going Leicester - Loughborough - Nottingham on a HST is something that has been happening for ages...

(The NRM will need a power car for York as well, given the ECML connection).

If the NRM fail to preserve any of a HST, they'll need to be rounded up, taken out the back and dealt with.

A regular HST power car and a couple of trailers is such an obvious thing for the GCR to have - to pair with the prototype, because it's a "main line" and because going Leicester - Loughborough - Nottingham on a HST is something that has been happening for ages...

(The NRM will need a power car for York as well, given the ECML connection).

Are there any with the original power plant,  Some in the NRM would argue that they not original because they have a replacement engine - remember what happened to "Ben Alder"

Are there any with the original power plant, Some in the NRM would argue that they not original because they have a replacement engine - remember what happened to "Ben Alder"

If they can't see the value of a HST to the national collection, then they are in the wrong job.

They have a 31, which lacks a Mirlees engine. And FFS, which could not be described as "original", either.

Indeed, they need one for the ecml motive power sequence. The NRM have a continuous line from 1870 to the present (assuming a 91 goes there as planned). The fact that they have a prototype doesn't preclude them having a production loco too - look at the deltics.

• RMweb Premium

Originally introduced with the Valenta 12RP engine between 1975 and 1982 I am led to believe some HST power cars were re-engined with the Valenta 12VP between 1994 and 2003. The MTU life extension programme was started in 2005. I am, of course, open to correction on this information.

Where would one obtain a Paxman Valenta engine today with which to retro-engineer a class 43?

Edited by 28XX

Where would one obtain a Paxman Valenta engine today with which to retro-engineer a class 43?

Seems to be a market for second hand marine version Paxman Valentas - anyone know what the differences are between these and those fitted to the class 43?

http://www.eurotex-intl.com/062-second-paxman-valenta-12rp200-engine-from-unique-%E2%80%98rotable-pool%E2%80%99-concept/

JIm

There are a few power units at GCRN owned by 125 group, waiting for such a project to happen.

Indeed so, although it's not an easy task to retro-fit an Paxman Valtenta engine back into a HST Power Car - The refurbishment included a lot of new wiring and control system, new radiator / coolergroup set up and I believe the alternator was also refurbished and modernised at the same time. While not impossible, it's not a simple task either. That said, I'm sure that the 125 Group I'm sure are fully aware of what needs to be done and no doubt will have the help of BRUSH back on their side. Of all the current Power Car operations, the East Midlands sets are probably the closest to their original state - and are of course running with VP185 engines, also given the state of some of them, not for much longer!

• RMweb Premium

There is a slight problem is that the railway will have to change from operating under a LRO to a mainline standard, so all the trackwork will have to be upgraded, most likely all coaches with secondary door locking on if going above 25 MPH with a good chance the steam engines will also have to upgraded as well, as you wouldn't be able to run the HST doing 75 MPH and the steam trains doing 25 MPH at the same time. Also all the paper work as well to get the ball rolling as well. Yes they do fast test trains at times, but there is a big difference between allowed to do these and running them with Jo Public bums on seats.

I didn't say how quick, did I? The southern section of the GCR is approved for 75mph running for test [non-passenger] trains. 'City of Nottingham' is reputed to have done a ton over Gotham Moor on the last steam special over the line before closure to through trains. We don't expect or need to run passenger trains any faster than 25mph in the near future but the line is engineered to be faster if required.

Dava

I didn't say how quick, did I? The southern section of the GCR is approved for 75mph running for test [non-passenger] trains. 'City of Nottingham' is reputed to have done a ton over Gotham Moor on the last steam special over the line before closure to through trains. We don't expect or need to run passenger trains any faster than 25mph in the near future but the line is engineered to be faster if required.

Dava

Will it still be engineered to the same fast alignment through the new embankments and bridges of the 'gap'? I imagine that if not this would be a speed bottleneck in the middle of the line notwithstanding being single tracked.

Loughborough is actually in a dip and was one of the fastest sections on the line along with the down descent into Leicester. My step-father sometimes refers to the speeds he witnessed through Loughborough and there are documented speeds well into the 80s (mph) by various authors, Nock, et al. Perhaps the objective in speeding through Loughborough being an easier climb up the grades both north and south. I seem to recall that the fatal accident under Empress Road bridge in the '30s was at a similar speed too.

I'd be amazed to see anything of this nature on the GCR through Loughborough in an accurate recreation of mainline speeds. And I'm sure many wouldn't want to see it - a breathtaking spectacle on a now much more sedentary Loughborough platform.

Nick

Edited by pom-pom

• RMweb Premium

Back in the real world...Expect a permanent speed restriction across the new bridges, Network Rail will own the MMLbridge. There is a slight change in alignment onto the line of the new embankment and you can expect that to be speed restricted until it consolidates.

I'm completing the model versions today for the Model Gala next weekend.

Dava

• RMweb Premium

GCR Bridge works – in real and model form

Work on the GCR bridge foundations is well under way on both sides of the MML. On the North side the large pile borer is on site and in action drilling holes for the abutment support piles.

post-14654-0-51592100-1497295380_thumb.jpg

The second photo shows a northbound HST power car passing the site of the new bridge. Pile cylinders can be seen on the work site.

post-14654-0-46237500-1497295417_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile I have been completing the update of the 1:148 scale model which will be on show at the GCR Model Gala on June 16-18 at Quorn, on the Friends of the Great Central Main Line stand.

The model has been built using the engineering drawings of the new bridge structures, kindly provided by FJD Consulting, the bridge design engineers. The model is to scale although some compression has been necessary to fit it into the site on the layout.

post-14654-0-17607400-1497295448_thumb.jpg

Here 46521 hauls the first train to cross the completed bridge. Railway models courtesy of Bachmann Europe. The basic sructures are complete although some scenic finishing and more detailing work needs to be done.

post-14654-0-92726900-1497295432_thumb.jpg

An aerial photo of a Class 27 hauled train on the bridge section with an East Midlands Trains unit passing below on the Midland Main Line.

The model is designed to operate automatically at events, and will play a useful role in informing visitors about the Bridge project and in the vital fundraising work in the next few years.

Swing by the Friends stand at Quorn if you visit the Model gala event!

Dava

• Like 3

Photo of the bridge site as viewed from a GCRN train. You can get a better view from the front of the train though. Looks quite a sharp bend from this perspective but guess its angles playing on the eye.

Model looks great Dave. Having the shuttle module will bring it to life and be more appealing imho :)

post-22343-0-51340700-1497296819_thumb.png

• Like 3