Great Central Railway news

andyram

I shot past last night on the delayed 17.25 from Leicester and couldn't see much - contractors clearly on site and clearance for the abutments under way.  I would like to see what the other bridges will look like.  Is the new span over the MML going to be a single clear span, or will there be a pier between the two sets of double track, as was shown in the RM article?  

I shot past last night on the delayed 17.25 from Leicester and couldn't see much - contractors clearly on site and clearance for the abutments under way.  I would like to see what the other bridges will look like.  Is the new span over the MML going to be a single clear span, or will there be a pier between the two sets of double track, as was shown in the RM article?  

Single span, this has a few renders and some of the updates

http://www.gcrailway.co.uk/unify/

I'm informed that it will be a single clear span.

Not yet on the website. The Travelling Post Office will be running on the 22nd and 23rd of July, with 3 run's on both days

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Update on GCR Brige to the Future project including extra funding appeal to pay for a bigger piling machine necessary as water has been found in the bridge abutment site:

http://www.gcrailway.co.uk/unify/ Please contribute as we want to get the bridge in this summer.

Meanwhile I'm updating the model version to be revealed on 16 June at the model gala at Quorn.

Dava

• RMweb Premium

So after a couple of months work on the N gauge version of the 'Bridge to the Future', I'm going away for a few days and here is a quick preview of progress.

The previous double track version of the embankment has been singled and versions of the bridge spans based on engineering drawings from FJD Consulting and Railtrack have been built and installed. The model has had to be slightly compressed to fit the space available. This view shows a Class 27 hauled test train over the MML, on which a Freightliner is heading South.

post-14654-0-59722000-1496085914_thumb.jpg

The paint is still drying in this version and the bridge box girders are shown rather than the GRP panels which will largely obscure these have not been fitted, on which the Holly Green paint was literally still drying. 

More work still required to finish the exhibit before its debut on 16 June at the GCR Model Gala. It will now be operational with prototypical motive power. 

Please vist the event  http://www.gcrailway.co.uk/modelevent/  and donate to the Bridge appeal: http://www.gcrailway.co.uk/unify/

Dava

• Like 2

I've just had a look at the GCRN website. Apparently they're running to Loughborough Junction now, which is a very long run in itself, and much further than Leicester...

What I was actually looking for was any suggestion of what they might be planning beyond the bridge - reopening East Leake? Doing something about the backwards access to Ruddington? Nothing obvious on the website - I can see how that wouldn't be a priority at the moment for them, but does anyone here know?

I've just had a look at the GCRN website. Apparently they're running to Loughborough Junction now, which is a very long run in itself, and much further than Leicester...

What I was actually looking for was any suggestion of what they might be planning beyond the bridge - reopening East Leake? Doing something about the backwards access to Ruddington? Nothing obvious on the website - I can see how that wouldn't be a priority at the moment for them, but does anyone here know?

If my memory serves me correctly the plans, from way back, were not to open East Leake station due to resident issues. There were plans to build a new chord off the mainline to form a triangle and allowing direct access to the Ruddington site. Whether the kind is still available is questionable. I guess that, initially, the access will be via an additional run round at the 50 Steps Bridge loop.

Yes been running to Loughborough Jc for a number of years now.

As far as I'm aware, East Leake is proposed for reopening but nothing more at present as there are loads of other major projects ongoing, like platform 2 Rudd construction, C&W shed and another bus building being constructed.

The triangle, as far as I'm aware has been surveyed but don't believe there are any plans to do anything just yet as it requires realignment of Asher Lane crossing from what I understand.

Edited by srihaggis

• RMweb Premium

Look on the bright side, Rushcliffe Halt is a passing station on busy days with road access which receives GBRF anhydrite trains on weekdays, a mile north of East Leake station and 5 minutes from my house!

East Leake station [platform and bridge survive] will probably be restored some day. No-one mentions the unique other features of the GCRN line - the racing stretch across Gotham Moor, the climbs up to Barnston Tunnel in both directions and the superb Soar Valley viaduct, with views of the Brush Works backyard. Lots of work to do but a great railway awaits when reunited.

Dava

Without doubt Dava, once reunited the Great Central has the potential to be the best preserved line in the country. It is already amongst the best, but when reconnected it will boast:

* An 18 mile main line with the only double track section of preserved railway.

* A separate branch line to Mountsorrel.

* A main line connection that will allow incoming and outgoing rail tours.

* At one end it will have Ruddington Country Park, bus museum, miniature railways and model railway.

* At the other end the National Railway Museum building.

* In the middle it will have the fantastic preserved stations at Loughborough, Quorn, Rothley with the attractions they already offer.

It will become a full day out for many more families.

With so much more running line - think of the gala days!!!!

It might be pushing the definition a bit (particularly at the Northern end) but it'll also link two cities.

That doesn't necessarily make it better than the NYMR (for example), but the GC will have some features that no other heritage railway can offer simply because it's arguably the only one that's got an inter city main line to rebuild (I say arguably because the GWSR could also legitimately be described as such, though they're seemingly not aiming at the main line feel that the GCR is, and others could also make a more tenuous claim such as when the Bournemouth Belle ran via Alresford or the huge trains to Minehead).

And as for East Leake, I would rebuild it to an extent, so that it looked the part from a passing train, but not actually reopen it. After all, part of what they're recreating is the main line experience, and running non-stop through minor stations is a big part of that.

Obviously it's not my train set, but if it were...

• Like 3

I say arguably because the GWSR could also legitimately be described as such, though they're seemingly not aiming at the main line feel that the GCR is

I think the GWSR have been fairly careful with their alignment, with an eye towards double track running at some point in the future. Rebuilding north of Broadway and reconnecting to the main line will almost certainly be their next big challenge, though, so it's going to be a long way off yet.

I think the GWSR have been fairly careful with their alignment, with an eye towards double track running at some point in the future. Rebuilding north of Broadway and reconnecting to the main line will almost certainly be their next big challenge, though, so it's going to be a long way off yet.

It took a good twenty years for the GCR to be in a position to start laying double track, and a substantial part of its funding was down to the generosity of the late David Clarke.

I'm not sure the GWSR has such a ready benefactor yet for that purpose, so it would be understandable if it takes much longer than 20 years; their focus would rightly be on further lengthening the line.

A reminder that today is the start of the Great Central's ever popular three day war weekend. Three steam locomotives are due to be in service with Sir Lamiel, 9F and 8F on the roster along with the DMU.

Just playing devils advocate, but can a preserved line be TOO long?

Us enthusiasts can spend all day going up and down the line, but for families with very young (and not so young) members, will facilities (and an appropriate fare structure) be made to promote just a morning or afternoon visit?

I remember when my children were younger, we won tickets to a "Thomas" day on the MId-Hants. I spent the day going up and down the line but the rest of the family just wanted to sit in the playground at (if I recall) Ropley. They weren't bothered about "Thomas" at all..........................

Just playing devils advocate, but can a preserved line be TOO long?

Us enthusiasts can spend all day going up and down the line, but for families with very young (and not so young) members, will facilities (and an appropriate fare structure) be made to promote just a morning or afternoon visit?

I remember when my children were younger, we won tickets to a "Thomas" day on the MId-Hants. I spent the day going up and down the line but the rest of the family just wanted to sit in the playground at (if I recall) Ropley. They weren't bothered about "Thomas" at all..........................

A very good point Peter. I think 16-18 miles is about the appropriate length. A return trip with one stop station stop over can take a good proportion of the day with anything more extending the visit to a full day. It rather depends what the visitor wants. After all, many of the countries longest lines can be linked with other attractions. For example you may catch the West Somerset at Bishops Lydeard or another intermediate station and then use it to get to the coast at Minehead. Likewise the North Yorkshire Moors takes passengers to Whitby or even Goathland for the Heartbeat / Harry Potter interest. At the Severn Valley you could stop off to visit the towns of Bridgnorth or Bewdley, but they also have the Engine House Museum at Highley which can take up a large part of the day. The GC will give families the option of a brisk walk into Loughborough, or a stop off in the Country Park at Ruddington or even the Railway Museum at Leicester North. Different people want different things, and not all will do the whole line trip or even want to see everything. The more options you have, the more people you will attract. People who want to see it all may be encouraged to return sooner to see the bits they missed. Just think how many people make multiple trips to Alton Towers in order to see it all (a friend of mine has been three times this year). Having lots of different supporting attractions can only be good for the GCR's business.

Length for the sake of it is not necessarily a good thing. It's just more infrastructure to maintain, more wear on the rolling stock and a requirement for more staff. Once you get to 8-10 miles long it's enough for a decent length ride (at 25mph), and most lines with have 3 or 4 stations in that length, which could provide enough potential diversions.

Any longer than that and there ought to be a reason for it. Linking the two GCRs makes sense for an outfit which is seeking to recreate a main line, but on the other hand I don't see any reason why the Mid Hants would want to go back to Itchen Abbas, even if the station site hadn't been built on.

Length for the sake of it is not necessarily a good thing. It's just more infrastructure to maintain, more wear on the rolling stock and a requirement for more staff. Once you get to 8-10 miles long it's enough for a decent length ride (at 25mph), and most lines with have 3 or 4 stations in that length, which could provide enough potential diversions.

Any longer than that and there ought to be a reason for it. Linking the two GCRs makes sense for an outfit which is seeking to recreate a main line, but on the other hand I don't see any reason why the Mid Hants would want to go back to Itchen Abbas, even if the station site hadn't been built on.

I agree with your comments. Extending just for the sake of it is not always the right thing to do. At the risk of drifting off topic I have questioned the decision by Peak Rail to extend into Matlock Station. This has resulted in the loss of a run round facility and the need top and tail all trains. Only a few yards back their Matlock Riverside station is in sight and has a run round facility.