More Pre-Grouping Wagons in 4mm - the D299 appreciation thread.

15 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

609?

BARNET CHURCH - Whetstone - North Finchley - East Finchley - Highgate Stn - Archway - Holloway Road - Highbury Corner - Upper Street - Angel - City Road - FINSBURY SQUARE

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, kitpw said:

BARNET CHURCH - Whetstone - North Finchley - East Finchley - Highgate Stn - Archway - Holloway Road - Highbury Corner - Upper Street - Angel - City Road - FINSBURY SQUARE

But not, be it noted, Mornington Crescent…

• Agree 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, Western Star said:

Pardon?

I've never quite got my head around all the permutations of the Dean and Churchward brake, only the simple form with both levers at the same end being relevant to my modelling period, so when I see DCIX, my first thought is that it's a number written in Roman numerals, in this case 500 + 100 -1 + 10.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

I've never quite got my head around all the permutations of the Dean and Churchward brake, only the simple form with both levers at the same end being relevant to my modelling period, so when I see DCIX, my first thought is that it's a number written in Roman numerals, in this case 500 + 100 -1 + 10.

609? too smart for me.

Here is a reminder of how Dave Stone (@wenlock) produced a wagon with DC1X brake gear.

Edited by Western Star
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

31 minutes ago, Western Star said:

609? too smart for me.

Here is a reminder of how Dave Stone (@wenlock) produced a wagon with DC1X brake gear.

Sodomus non sapiens!

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Western Star said:

There is a mention in there by you of that prototype cross-cornered Dean and Churchward braked-wagon being "submitted to the brake trials according to the photograph album in Kew". I'm wondering whether there is any further information on these "brake trials", whether they were a purely Great western thing or an inter-company endeavour under the auspices of the RCH or BoT. The Midland had a number of D299s fitted up with various patent brakes (Hague, Spencer, etc.) around this time. All this experimentation was, I suppose, in response to the concerns raised by the Royal Commission on the Causes of Accidents, Fatal and Non-Fatal, to Servants of Railway Companies and of Truck Owners, which reported in 1900, and the subsequent legislation, the Railway Employment (Prevention of Accidents) Act, 1900, which empowered the Board of Trade to make regulations, although the regulation on either side brakes was not made until 1911. That delay, I suspect, was to allow time for these experiments, as well as consultation with the relevant parties.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

46 minutes ago, Regularity said:

Sodomus non sapiens!

So that is what Viv Stanshall is telling us when talking about greengrocers...  (Platinum, MIke Oldfield)

Edited by Western Star

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Western Star said:

The album in TNA, Kew, has photos of wagons from several pre-grouping companies.

RAIL 1053/249: Either-side brakes: wagons of various companies, photographed at Edge Hill. Includes 34...

Either-side brakes: wagons of various companies, photographed at Edge Hill.

Includes 34 photographs depicting: Railway wagons fitted with either side brakes. Dated 1904.

RAIL 1053/250: Either-side brakes: wagons of various companies. Includes 111 photographs depicting:... 

Description:

Either-side brakes: wagons of various companies.

Includes 111 photographs depicting: Photograph album of wagons, some belonging to the London and North Western Railway, fitted with various types of brakes: either-side patent brakes, single lever brakes, a double-block brake, a coupling stick and a brake stick. Dated [1904].

I'll add that to the list for a future visit!

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2

On 27/06/2022 at 10:20, Compound2632 said:

The 'X' is a cross – as in 'cross cornered brake'. Alles Klar?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, wagonman said:

The 'X' is a cross – as in 'cross cornered brake'. Alles Klar?

I have now (re)read Jim Champ's essay on the subject, where it is suggested that "the Dean and Churchward brake, as described in Specification Number 202, of 1902, if arranged as a cross-cornered brake"* was only applied to diagram V5, and that retrospectively, not as built.

*to use the wording of the exemption, Schedule II (e), to the Prevention of Accidents Rules, 1911.

Don't blame JIm, blame me. I added that section on the Board of Trade rulings a while ago (whose text, and historical extract, was based on what has been posted in this thread). Although I have added a pic of the underside of Dave's 4-planker a couple of days ago, what I left open in the text is to reflect the small number of 4-plankers of lot 374 that also were fitted with the 'experimental-era' DCIX, which only came to light from Graham's (Western Star) posts a couple of years ago.

Of course, by the time DCIX was 're-discovered' much later (as a quick fix to make some DCI vehicles comply with the rules), DCIII had been well established, and was compliant with the rules, which probably explains why DCIX was rare.

A few quick edits needed to tidy up, so I'll do that tomorrow. Maybe the page should be titled "There's no such thing as a beginner's guide to...."

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Nearly five years ago, only a year into this topic, there was discussion of a photo of Ynysygeinon Sidings on the Midland's Swansea Vale line, in which were identified some Midland D299 wagons sporting sheet support bars - something which, as far as those contributing to the discussion were concerned, was previously unknown. The full photo, held by the NRM, is reproduced in J. Miles, K. Thomas, and T. Watkins, The Swansea Vale Railway (Lightmoor Press, 2017) p. 129. @Western Star posted the relevant section of the photo, which I re-post here:

image.png.b9394b1e8ca714e82c6d7fdc05ef8216.png

The hypothesis advanced by Graham and others was that sheet support bars might be required in connection with spelter traffic, the Swansea Vale line serving a number of zinc smeltinc works and it being especially important to keep either the zinc ingots free of moisture and / or dust, as I understood the discussion.

I spent another day at TNA today, working through the Midland Carriage & Wagon Committee minute books. I have been working through books 9 and 10 [TNA RAIL 491/258-9]. Right near the end of the former is minute No. 4561 of 14 June 1906:

Sheet support for wagons

Read Traffic Committee minute No. 34334, as follows:-

"Resolved that one hundred wagons, to be lettered “To be returned to Six Pit” be fitted with Williams’ Patent Sheet Supporter at a cost of £3:8:0 per vehicle, or a total of £340, and the matter was referred to the Carriage and Wagon Committee."

Ordered

To be referred to the General Purposes Committee.

The General Purposes Committee was with one with the power to approve additional expenditure; it did so by its minute No. 13741, as recorded by Carriage and Wagon Committee minute No. 4567 of 6 July 1906.

I have not looked a any of the Traffic Committee minute books. It is possible that more information on the traffic for which these wagons were required is contained therein.

The minute say the wagons were to be lettered "To be returned to Six Pit"; the evidence of the photo is that the wording was different. Various suggestions were made: "Swansea Vale Sidings/District/ Junction". I'm now inclined to think the wording is "To be returned to Swansea Vale Junction" as that location is essentially the same as Six Pit Junction:

1610091932_1280px-Swansea_Six_Pit_RJD_071crop.jpg.f8d5a5e22b8dd35b27293f7e85139ca6.jpg

The RCH Junction Diagram calls it "Swansea Valley Junction", which is also the name given on the Midland Railway Distance Diagram, but I think the middle word on the wagons is too short to be "Valley" so is probably "Vale".

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

But looking at the script layout, I think the wording on the two wagons are different.

I see what you mean, looking at the two nearest the camera in the line of D299s - the one loaded with pit props isn't clear enough. But the second one of that pair is freshly painted whereas the nearer one has clearly been in traffic for a while, so I would argue for it being the same wording, differently set out by different signwriters.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

It could be and certainly that could apply to the top line but the second line the middle word looks to be significantly longer on the older painted wagon than on the newer one - could this be valley versus vale?   

I doubt we will ever know for sure.

Edited by Andy Hayter
typo
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

It could be and certainly that could apply to the top line but the second line the middle word looks to be significantly longer on the older painted wagon than on the newer one - could this be valley versus vale?   

Yes, I see that. 

• RMweb Gold

10 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Right near the end of the former is minute No. 4561 of 14 June 1906

That must have been a satisfying find!

Thanks for undertaking this work Stephen.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Rail-Online said:

Great find.  You must be itching to look at the Traffic Committee minute books!

Well done

Tony

The next couple of visits should finish off transcription of wagon-related entries from the C&W Cttee minutes. Then I want to work through the early Loco Cttee minute books for wagon stuff - I've done from late 1866 to the start of the separate C&W Cttee. At the moment I'm managing every other Wednesday on average, but I'm ramping that up to weekly visits this month.

Then it will be a question of following up the Traffic Cttee, also in some cases the Way & Works Cttee. What I haven't tracked down is the Private Wagon Purchase Cttee minutes...

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2

Stephen @Compound2632,

You wrote earlier:_

"The hypothesis advanced by Graham and others was that sheet support bars might be required in connection with spelter traffic, the Swansea Vale line serving a number of zinc smeltinc works and it being especially important to keep either the zinc ingots free of moisture and / or dust, as I understood the discussion."

Satisfying to read that you understand the difference between hypothesis and theory; all I did was to talk to others who had appropriate / relevant knowledge and then put forward an idea as to the reason.  You have the credit for "proving" the hypothesis by way of the evidence (aka proof) of my idea.

What a pity that Bob Essery (RIP) is not able to read about your efforts, efforts that shall expand our knowledge of Midland wagons.

regards, Graham

• Like 2