Slightly rare events

• RMweb Gold

Here are a couple of views of movements that aren't seen that often any longer, although they could not be considered to fall into the 'completely rare' category...

An 08 pilot in Plymouth station last week:

post-57-126911805101_thumb.jpg

A freight train coming off the Bristol Avoider (in this case, having delivered/collected fuel tanks from SPM, is now on it's way to do the same at Laira and Long Rock):

post-57-126911810486_thumb.jpg

Hi

Good shot of Plymouth and that 08, unfortunately that is becoming a rare sight everywhere.

The 08 shunters used to pop up all over the place either stuck in a siding or at the end of a platform somewhere, it has always been a good sight to see, especially as a kid train spotting of a weekend on a red rover bus ticket around London, there always seemed to be a new one to underline (and they were new then) from an unusual location.

It looks a bit lonely there in Plymouth though, how much longer can they last, even the youngest 08 is 48 years old, I wonder if they will ever build a new shunter.

Cheers

bob

If we're honest, there is no real call for shunters on the mainline, Fgw had one come a cropper a few years ago and try not to let them off depot, they all have tpws fitted, but I know at spm we have one blown up, and one so out of its exam schedules it really needs to be taken off duty for a refresh.

• RMweb Premium

snip..... It looks a bit lonely there in Plymouth though, how much longer can they last, even the youngest 08 is 48 years old, I wonder if they will ever build a new shunter.

They already have!!! It is called a Class 66. They can also be used on the main line!

Chris

Thanks for the shot of the London end of what was North Rd. How times have changed! I remember standing in the lane overlooking that end facing the old signal box over 55 years ago on my way home from school. The photo reflects the many changes in the station layout. Is that a car park where the fish was loaded at a bay platform? Presumably the scene was taken from the multi-storey office block built in the 60's.

Thanks for the shot of the London end of what was North Rd. How times have changed! I remember standing in the lane overlooking that end facing the old signal box over 55 years ago on my way home from school. The photo reflects the many changes in the station layout. Is that a car park where the fish was loaded at a bay platform? Presumably the scene was taken from the multi-storey office block built in the 60's.

At around the same era I was being taken to stand just down from the road overbridge oposite the signal box to wave the up Cornish Riviera Express. This was by my grandfather on pension day (Thursday) I was three or four at the time.

There's a little Ruston & Hornsby shunter sitting in the sidings near Aylesbury depot now. I've yet to see it actually move, or seem like it has moved, as it's usually sitting at the end of one of the roads, hemmed in by the Class 121 bubble car (which incidentally, was often used for shunting, so I've read!).

http://geoff-plumb.fotopic.net/c1766148.html

Not my pics btw :)

Archived