• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Annie said:

I remember seeing a drawing of the prototype van in an article by Ian Rice some years ago.  I always meant to make a model of it, but I never got around to doing it.

Dsc03914.jpg.0b584a3018755075ae1f6edeb16

Was the prototype an 'Open' that was converted by adding the upper bodywork?

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, simonmcp said:

Was the prototype an 'Open' that was converted by adding the upper bodywork?

Yes exactly that.  The GER did something similar with an older series of open fish trucks and I've always wanted to model those as well.

rrsxlMp.jpg

kXPNaQx.jpg

Mf72Ruo.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

I hope the change in use from fish to fruit also involved a very good interior clean!

BTW, Annie, if you'd find more photos of the model useful I can do some square-on shots from all 4 directions.

Edited by Martin S-C

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

BTW, Annie, if you'd find more photos of the model useful I can do some square-on shots from all 4 directions.

Thanks very much Martin, - that would be helpful.

• RMweb Gold
On 20/05/2022 at 17:55, MrWolf said:

The box van seems to be an ingenious conversion of another triang insulfish van body. 

Sctachbuilt, based on the one-off conversion of an open wagon made in the “workshops” of the Mid Suffolk Light Railway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

16 minutes ago, Regularity said:

Sctachbuilt, based on the one-off conversion of an open wagon made in the “workshops” of the Mid Suffolk Light Railway.

Now I've taken a look at it on SWMBO's laptop, I see that it is.

I was quite taken with the idea so put the Phone Of Uselessness aside for a better look. Those big hinges made it look like the old insulfish van, which as you probably know is useful for creating several oddball prototypes.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 2

No reason at all you cannot just use the conversion as inspiration and find old RTR open and van body donors.

The lower half of the van body can then go in a farmyard as a sheep pen or something. Even a compost/dung heap retainer or a coal store. Waste not, want not.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

7ft wb? Wow. I do like short wb stock. Very cute.

Does anyone know of a book that covers the Garstang & Knott End? I feel like its a railway company I should know more about.

EDIT: After a little rummage about I have found and ordered Dave Richardson's book on this line.

Edited by Martin S-C
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Martin S-C said:

7ft wb? Wow. I do like short wb stock. Very cute.

Does anyone know of a book that covers the Garstang & Knott End? I feel like its a railway company I should know more about.

EDIT: After a little rummage about I have found and ordered Dave Richardson's book on this line.

There's also Robert Cunliffe's, as well: https://www.amazon.co.uk/History-Garstang-Knott-End-Railway/dp/024432459X

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, MrWolf said:

This is a really good one. A4 format too.

That's the one I've ordered. When I'm able to sneak another package into the house I'll get Robert Cunliffe's book as well. I see that salt was a principal traffic for the line which is unusual and not something I've ever seen as a main freight on a model.

*thinks idly about what kind of industry might need to bring in lots of salt as a feature on Nether Madder*

Edited by Martin S-C
  • Like 3

There's some remains of the salt drilling rigs to be found here and there. The salt branch line closed quite early due to disagreement over haulage charges. You can find the junction if you know where to look. 

Other relics are easier to find like this feed stores. There was once a siding beneath that overhang.

IMG_20210619_141255.jpg.574da63ff669436a47303081ed22550c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• 2 weeks later...

*shock horror* After months of prevaricating, time wasting, doing other hobbies and a really *fun* period of depression (not) I have begun work again.

Neil Mason of the Little Layout Company is at work finishing off the baseboards. I have pasted down the 1:1 scale track plan over the main station boards and begun to fiddle about with track-laying. I'm going to steal Graham's ( @LNER4479 's ) clever wheeze of cutting a little off the PECO points to get the correct double track spacing. This will only apply in this area of the layout though I may do it in the colliery area as well where a lot of tracks are close together. Just trying to build up the confidence to razor-saw through two £16 points...

Dsc07792-crop.thumb.jpg.ef745605234fe34a9a79a64a59b595cc.jpg

Edited by Martin S-C
  • Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 3

A dose of the doom is so much fun isn't it?

Then all of a sudden you're out of it and ploughing through a project with renewed enthusiasm and you've no idea how you got there.

Bash on!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Both release crossovers for platforms 1 & 2 cut and loosely placed. Some minor gaps in the sleepers will need filling with small offcuts. This process shortens the crossover as well of course so I grabbed an extra inch of loco release track to the buffer stops. Time for a G&T now and some fresh eyes tomorrow. I have some rolls of 3mm and 2mm cork sheet on order which will raise the track up to match the DCC concepts foam underlay and will infill the surface to sleeper level in the goods yard and between the platform tracks.

Dsc07795.jpg.c6b9837a6bd708942777b865e9c2cd98.jpg

Dsc07796.jpg.c9e02318568528b82c543bb74e4704cb.jpg

Edited by Martin S-C
  • Like 14
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

That's Edwardian for ladies and gentlemen's gender-specific facilities.

On plans of the period they are usually labelled "Ladies" or "Ladies' Room" and "Gentlemen".

No cork sheet in the post yet so unable to begin fixing track down today. Instead I loosely placed and trimmed sleepers off all the station throat pointwork. PECO still have not released their bullhead code 75 medium radius points so I'm having to use the flat-bottomed rail ones and they do look a bit rubbish when placed against the wider radius BH points. My intent though is to try for a deep ash ballast look so I *hope* the sleepers will be buried. No doubt PECO will release their medium radius BH points when the layout is just about finished.
Dsc07799.jpg.982730765ec1a1d8800bff1854679b96.jpg

Dsc07800.jpg.8be2affb4928894bbc0722942bcd218f.jpg

Dsc07801.jpg.f6c4daebb447e2db517155884512ab18.jpg

Dsc07802.jpg.53a494ac73dd0c2d121cf45f62aa72d8.jpg

• Like 19

21 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

That's Edwardian for ladies and gentlemen's gender-specific facilities.

No, it's not! Not in either sense of the word 'Edwardian'!

If the text had read 'swooning and rest rooms' I might have let it go!

But you mean 'Ladies Waiting Room' and 'Gentlemen'

Dash it man, next you'll be labelling it a 'Train Station'!

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2