LNWR Society Modelling competition - framework and dates

The LNWR style levers in the signal boxes are certainly a lot easier to replicate these days with 3D printing and at 1:24 scale, simples....

Mentioned above, somewhere, is Crewe North in 7mm FS.

There are a number of modellers in the Society doing 1 Gauge, and LNWR items are available too.  :O

Edited by Penlan

• RMweb Gold

The LNWR style levers in the signal boxes are certainly a lot easier to replicate these days with 3D printing and at 1:24 scale, simples....

I'm thinking of making a drawing of the Lever, Quadrant, Handle, Centre, and Lever Tail (for the Webb Tumbler Frame) and replicating 50 times.

(I only need 40 but I want spares!)

The trouble is, I will have to scale these from pictures, (in the two best books I have), as I can't find the detail drawing I need!

Kev.

In the absence of the original artwork, it would not be impossible to reproduce LNWR Portrayed, as it is, from a good clean copy as it is mainly black and white line drawings.  However, received wisdom is that there are errors and the question remains how and by whom should these be addressed.

Peco would probably not object to the LNWRS undertaking this.

That was considered, but didn't get off the ground for some reason. The photos of the dioramas weren't that good (given today's standards) and would ideally have to be taken again. I believe that there was also some additional material not used by Peco, that could be included in a "reprint" However, I think it would be a larger job than might it initially appear.

Perhaps this is a good time to reconsider.

The trouble is, I will have to scale these from pictures, (in the two best books I have), as I can't find the detail drawing I need!

I'm sure there's a loop handled frame somewhere - probably on a preserved line, and if not, I recall seeing the lever's complete with handles about 40 years ago, somewhere (probably Crewe), going into preservation. 

I would be surprised if the NRM (or whatever it's new name is) hasn't got some.

Richard Foster did many drawings of the levers etc., for his book, so he may/should have something tangible to work from.

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure there's a loop handled frame somewhere - probably on a preserved line, and if not, I recall seeing the lever's complete with handles about 40 years ago, somewhere (probably Crewe), going into preservation. 

I would be surprised if the NRM (or whatever it's new name is) hasn't got some.

Richard Foster did many drawings of the levers etc., for his book, so he may/should have something tangible to work from.

Denton and Stockport 1 & 2 are not too far away but I don't think they will let me in!

In the late 80s I was invited into Greenfield - I'm sure the same type and size box I am building - but I can't remember a thing about it apart from the fish and chips!

I thought Ramsbottom, on the East Lanc's Railway, was LNWR but it turns out it is LMS.

Kev.

I have a copy of Portrayed. The Type 5 box looks interesting. I’m guessing the Signalling book would add info on the details missing from the drawings? Not knowing anything about the LNW, where Type 5’s common? There’s also not a lot of info on colour schemes in Portrayed.

N

The Foster book on signalling adds a lot of detail. The type 5 box was introduced in 1904, the main differences from the type 4 being larger windows (all sliding) and overhanging roofs. I think that type 4 was the most common during the life of the company, as they were built from the 1876. They were used for new sites and also replaced earlier boxes if they did not have enough accommodation for the requirements of the developing track layouts and increasingly complex signalling needs. However, the type 5 was not rare, particularly where extra lines or revised signalling took place - there were several along the north Wales coast line which reflected the extensive quadrupling of the Holyhead main line in the early years of the 20th century.

It's taken longer than we anticipated, but the registration arrangements are now operational. If you intend to put in a competition entry please register it using the following e-mail.

lnwr-competition@lnwrs.org.uk

When you send your email, please include the following information:

your name

your RMWeb name

your address - all logged entries will be put into a draw for a Gerald Broom LNWR print, so we need to know where to send it

a short description/title of the entry

the category it is entered in

the period being modelled

whether the entry is for this year's (ending Jan 2019) competition or next year's. We appreciate that your model of the north end of Crewe station in Scale7 will take a little longer.

Hi Tim, I've messaged you with my entry details....

Richard

First of all, like Jol, I'm not entering the competition, as I agree it's there to promote further interest in the LNWR.

In respect of those thinking about signal cabins etc., you don't have to go for the 'Standard' later box designs, there are also the earlier designs like the Type 2 of 1873 at Bulkington, which combined with the earlier style slotted post signals, most of which had been replaced by 1900,  would give you something a little different to the bog standard later images of the LNWR.  Just a thought.

Well done to RMweb(b) & LNWRSoc for this venture.

Stationmaster Mr Turner, his wife and one of the three signalmen based at Bulkington Signal Cabin pose for the camera. The Saxby and Farmer Type 2 design signal cabin has had some work undertaken to its base, the section where the cables and rodding would have exited from the frame.

Reg Instone, a member of both the LNWR Society and the Signalling Record Society, writes. 'The S&F type 2a cabin was used on the Southern Division of the LNWR until about 1874-75. See 'A Pictorial Record of LNWR Signalling' by Richard Foster and published by OPC together with 'The Signalbox' (www.signalbox.org) for details. The date of this example is not known for certain, but it is likely that it was constructed about 1873. It was square in plan at 12ft x 12ft. It was replaced about 1912 by a type 5 cabin which lasted until replaced by Intermediate Block Signals in 1957. Reg continues, 'G. Turner was Stationmaster at Bulkington for an impressively long time. He seems to have been appointed in April 1875 although the early staff registers are not easy to interpret. He retired on the last day of 1908. Given that he was born in January 1844, and he looks as though he might be about 64 in the photo, is it reasonable to suppose that it was taken to record his last day of service? If that were the case, then we could probably deduce the names of the other staff in the photograph'.

Harry Jack writes as a follow up to Reg's contribution, 'The L&NWR Stores Committee minutes (ref. LNW 1/367) contain monthly listings of "new signal cabins". On 20th March 1873 there is a note of clocks supplied "for new block telegraph police cabins" and the list includes Bulkington. A new signal box at Bulkington is also mentioned in the minutes of the next meeting on 24th April 1873'.

post-1290-0-87211200-1533659389_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikemusson
  • Like 1

Many thanks Mike, and for anybody doing a model, the station building roof tiling looks an interesting little challenge.
I once (and only once) did a large area of a platform surface (4mm scale) with a blue brick herring bone pattern out of computer chads.....

Not connected to this, but above somewhere, I mention about the levers and the 'ring pull' being 3D printed, now it's not something I've worked with, so I don't know how strong a 3D printed item is, but it occurs to me that perhaps coach door commode handles might be a way to go, as I have approx., 140 to make and add to coaches which have already been painted and lined......

..... The Saxby and Farmer Type 2 design signal cabin has had some work undertaken to its base, the section where the cables and rodding would have exited from the frame.

I seem to recall, Mike, that initially the top windows were clear, but soon painted white,

not sure how much that would reduce any glare though.

Here's on I made earlier, though still waiting for the rodding etc., (only 15 years...).

I think at this time, it should probably have a bell outside that open window,

to signal to the Station Staff a train is coming. 

... And looking at Bulkington,  a more 'architrave' looking guttering.  It never ends.

post-6979-0-13782700-1533734460.jpg

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 2

You can always try something a bit different. Why not a Barnum and Bailey circus train. This is Carriage No 1

or you could have a couple of Special DX locomotives running tender first with a Barnum & Bailey circus train.

post-1290-0-79827400-1533736765_thumb.jpg

post-1290-0-50231100-1533736928_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I've been trawling the internet for a suitable prototype signal box to base my model on and I think Beeston Castle & Tarpoley Box might be suitable. There are a couple of good photos of the outside on line but I wonder if anyone has any pics of the rear elevation and/or drawings of the externals or internals? Unfortunately its a bit far for me to go and survey in person....!

As part of the publicity for this Modelling Competition, Andy Yorks attended the L&NWRS Kidderminster Open Day on Saturday 21st July 2018, in the museum of the Severn Valley Railway. He videoed a piece with the L&NWRS Secretary Tim Birch. I'd not met Andy before - "nice to see you, Sir".

post-4432-0-40156500-1533804736_thumb.jpg

The photo shows Andy with the day's organiser Ted Talbot, a not unknown 'name'. This is an annual event and includes a massive gauge 1 running track (electric and live steam) that fills the concourse of Kidderminster Station (SVR).

• Like 3

Hi all,

A bit of help vith research and finding out what articles may be of assistance.

NMRA - Index of Model Railway Articles

http://www.olimpia.com:8084/IntroPage.html

Includes most British magazines

Thanks

LNWR - Articles needed as modelling aids

The Society has a Periodical Bibliography containing over 22,000 article references of which we have more than 17,000 which are in our library at Kenilworth. The eBook available below via the link, combines our three lists of these references. The eBook is fully searchable (click in the box on the top right corner and type in your search word / term. A list of pages with that search term will appear on the left and, when visited, the page showing the term has it highlighted. To zoom in or out first click the spy glass with the + sign (bottom left) and then use your mouse wheel.

e-Book http://fliphtml5.com/neyn/bqle

Enjoy

Edited by mikemusson

Members of the L&NWR Society might wish to know that we have just launched an embryonic online archive. Its currently located in the Miscellaneous section under General Discussion as this is the only password protected facility we currently have, Eventually it will be on our webbsite.

The first sixty LNWR Society Journals, covering the period December 1993 to March 2006, are on line as are seventeen Portfolios, Joint and Special Publications. Contained within them is a significant amount of information that will interest and help modellers of all scales.

Contemporary and original L&NWR material is being catered for too. As a starter we have added a couple of plans of Colwyn Bay Station including a footbridge drawing, 25 Siding Diagrams and later today the first volumes of F Moore's Railway Magazine, the first edition being printed in 1897. Further additions will be made even quicker if people volunteer to help, and you can do this from the comfort from your home!

Not yet a member of the Society? Modellers registering to enter the competition can obtain the Francis Webb Bursary which means your first year's membership is only £15.00 instead of £30.00.

Mike M

Does that include those of us in the antipodes?

Does that include those of us in the antipodes?

Yes, although you will have to pay the extra postage costs which are:

Overseas members within Europe add postage of £10

Outside Europe please add £10 for surface mail or £20 for airmail.

The online archive is proving very popular with our antipodean cousins.

Best wishes

Mike

Edited by mikemusson

• RMweb Gold

Well, my membership pack arrived today - (I decided to join the LNWR society) - and very nice it is too.

3 journals and a news letter - all very well done.

If you haven't taken advantage of the bursary - the Francis Webb bursary I think, (for competition entrants only) - then I urge you to do so. You can't beat this deal for £15.

(No connection other than (now - today!) being a member and a coopetition entrant. I haven't even paid yet!

Kev.

The livery of the rolling stock is often an issue with some modellers. The following links might help:

Precision Paints offer this palette (albeit some are yet to be portrayed on line) https://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/products/precisionrailway/pregroup/lnwr

Whilst on RMWeb LNWRNORM initiated some suggestions with his request for help. This help can be seen here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/9005-lnwr-coach-colour-match/

The livery of the rolling stock is often an issue with some modellers. 

Mike, I see a familiar name in those link's..... 

I think the main problem for modellers is that until all the paintwork & lining is complete,

the coaches don't look right, the gold/yellow lining is what makes it glow and come together.

And to repeat a process I picked up from Philip Millard (LNWRSoc.,) about 40 years ago, though it's probably far older in use, put the Gold/Yellow on the mouldings first, then paint/draw down the middle with the plum.  Don't try to draw/paint a fine line either side of the plum line, unless of course your good at that.

Practice, practice and practice.  Scrap Ratio coach sides are useful for practicing on.

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 3

Why should you join the Society? Well you receive four Journals per year and you also have access via the online archive to nearly 100 more. That's not forgetting the Study Centre & Archive which has over 23,000 catalogued items plus approximately 20,000 photographs.

To view a copy of the Journal follow this link: http://fliphtml5.com/neyn/vvbm

Enjoy!

Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I’m loving these colourised photos. Amazing clarity and quite eerie in a way, feels like stepping back in time.

I very much agree. I have just been browing the society's Facebook gallery and was completely captivated by the colourised photos. In particular this one from Manchester Exchange, which was already one of my all time favourite pre-grouping photos (yes the GWR 3232 probably has something to do with that!).

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1784236341633702&set=oa.148453459175917&type=1&theater

I'm wondering who did the colouring of this photo? I understand it's for a competition, but there does not seem to be a name (apologies for my ignorance, I'm but a lowly GWR type !).

• Like 1