RevolutioN/Accurascale MK.5/MK.5A coaching stock/DT

TomE

3 hours ago, Revolution Mike said:

Please send us an email ASAP with which set you want and your order number. 

Thanks Mike

Hi Mike,

I wasn't sure which e-mail to use but I have just done so, using both:

info@revolutiontrains.com

orders@revolutiontrains.com

... the latter being a reply to the receipt e-mail.

Kind Regards.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, MrSimon said:

Hi,

Appreciate these are probably on the way now… but are these the same coupling as the 321?

Many thanks 

Simon

Standard NEM coupling pocket. 

Tom. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Last news I read on the TPE sets was delivery about now. Is there any further news or updates please ?

I have looked all through the RevolutioN web site of course, before posting. I cannot find anything on there about deliveries on these.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Brian-1c,

For latest Revolution scheduling your best bet is the Projects Overview page: https://revolutiontrains.com/projects/

The Caledonian Sleeper Mk5s should be here in August, the TPE Mk5as should be here September, but of course these dates are subject to change due to ongoing supply chain issues for electronic components.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Brian-1c said:

Thank you Ben, that was useful. Checking on the web site again, once again it is found by clicking on the header for the Projects, as it is not on the drop down menu, 

If you click on Projects rather than on the drop down menu it takes you to the same place (device depending!). 

cheers Mike

• Like 1

Thank you Mike for clarifying that. Now, can either of you gentlemen please tell me if there is a speaker, or provision for one, in the driving trailer ? I ask, as that is where the horn should sound when the set is being pushed and driven from the driving trailer.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Brian-1c said:

Thank you Mike for clarifying that. Now, can either of you gentlemen please tell me if there is a speaker, or provision for one, in the driving trailer ? I ask, as that is where the horn should sound when the set is being pushed and driven from the driving trailer.

Hi Brian-1c,

No, there is no factory-fitted speaker in these models.

cheers

Ben A.

11 hours ago, Revolution Ben said:

Hi Brian-1c,

No, there is no factory-fitted speaker in these models.

cheers

Ben A.

OK thank you Ben. We'll have to see where is the best place to mount one, when they arrive.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Had notification from Royal Mail that I am expecting a delivery tomorrow, was wondering what it was...

Lo and behold, Revolution's website has been updated with this on their updates page https://revolutiontrains.com/projects/

Caledonian Sleepers - all balance invoices generated. Paid orders shipping to customers (21/09)

• Like 1

My Fort William set arrived this morning.

Not played with them yet but detail wise they are the best n gauge coaches I have seen by a distance. 

Immediate impression is quite weighty by my highly unscientific hold one in one hand and a farish mk1 in the other method and really close coupling

Well done Revolution, is it too soon to ask for a 73/9 to pull them?

Rob

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Our Caledonian Sleeper Mk5 coaches have now been sent out to all pre-paid customers, and will be shipping over the coming days to retailers and to those who are settling balance invoices now.

Sleeperboxessmall.jpg.64c5afebcf07d3819121cd76a0520640.jpg

Unfortunately, some coaches have been found to be less free running than required.

This is frustrating because the inside bearing bogies on the samples we tested performed flawlessly, however we have added some notes to assist on our website here:

https://revolutiontrains.com/news/

We are carrying out further tests and as we learn more about potential issues we will share that information.  Obviously we want all our customers to get maximum enjoyment from these gorgeous models.

The TPE versions should be here within the next few weeks.

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Revolution Ben
  • Thanks 1

I can imagine this is very frustrating, especially people wanting to run them! I hope the TPE sets avoid the same issue as I had considered getting one. Not just a Revolution thing by any means, but another example of why I tend not to pre-order things where possible and wait for reviews/feedback. Too many models seem to have all the looks but issues when it comes to them actually moving these days. The complexity of high detail I guess.

David 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

David, 

Indeed, there is an aspect of the "kings new clothes" with expectations, specifications and delivery of perfection.  Function over form  unless building shelf display items of museum standards also  

The joys of real world lightweight bogies and inside bearings - give grief in the real world as well.    Trying to miniaturise will always give some issues as stuff does not scale down. The best internal solution was on the Dapol Western with chassis able to have good axleboxes in the inner frame, Farish locos have had same on steam locos as well. But these have the frames to suit these coaches and on many modern units do not have space to hide big chunks of metal, the Mk2 design here is a good version with the rolling bush on the stub axle and I have two coaches on my Fort William set that were very free running from the get go. The other two not so freewheeling in comparison but not that bad.  As has been suggested resetting wheels has helped but removing wheels showed a lug on the pick up strip not in its home slot, possibly displacing the bush. 

Removing the bogie and fitting wheels with out pick up strip made for a very free wheeling bogie. So bending lug back so it fitted in slot helped a lot but I noticed a trace of a etching cusp on pick up strip this I gently filed off with a rat tailed file and wheels as good as the others. From my simple experiments  this should help in free running. Joys of mass build as noted in release there must be a selection of the strips that want just a tad of attention.  Maybe slightly miss etched, maybe slightly miss bent when faced with such variation risk who would be a model manufacturer !     

Mind you I would not know where to start to make a Mk5 from scratch let alone get the finish these models and all manufacturers create these days so glad  to be helped along the way and to do a little bit more to detail or fix a little wayard issue is for me part of the hobby fun.  Hobby being an important word ! 

happy modelling

Robert  

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, bmthtrains - David said:

Not just a Revolution thing by any means, but another example of why I tend not to pre-order things where possible and wait for reviews/feedback. Too many models seem to have all the looks but issues when it comes to them actually moving these days.

The trouble with waiting for the reviews is that models are often sold out within a week or two of arriving in the shops (e.g. Farish Mk2F) or in the case of Revolution cost more than the early bird prices.

Fortunately our consumer laws means it's easy enough to get a refund should you decide a model isn't worth keeping.

Steven B

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Update, While better runners I have the FW 4 pack and a Dapol 73 under a resin 73/9  It would pull two easily enough but third  it struggled and 4th almost stopped it on a 11" rad curve. So not where I wanted.

Perhaps not for the faint hearted but the bogies that evidenced slight drag I popped out wheel sets and pulled wheel and stub axle off the muff and extracted the bush, two had some black grease - I guess electrical conducting but the pin head smear was more a small blob and this had squeezed around muff so perhaps not helping. I used a small reamer to clean hole a few thou and rebuilt wheel set. Much freer running and with pick up strip removed as good as a pinpoint bogie. 

Correctly seated pickup strip  and very good rolling so one bogie on each coach with no pick up saw loco happy on 3, ran out of time but It looks like the 73 will romp away with 4 now. 

Well spent an hour on the 4 vehicles and a couple of hours test running on my lockdown scottish roundy  to get to this stage.

To my tiny mind intriguing and entertaining but can see for Revolution trains less entertaining but certainly can be overcome at home easily enough. But also fully understand reluctance of others in this level of "messing about" with expensive models.

Still happy modelling

Robert      

• Informative/Useful 1

My West Highland rake has arrived.  It looks truly magnificent.  However running is a major problem.  I have emailed Revolution support, but if anyone else can add comments/solutions that would be helpful

It was quite clear on the club layout when I tried to run these with both a Dapol 73, with Electra Graphics Caledonian vinyl sides and also a Dapol Class 67 in Caledonian livery, that the whole train was drawing too much current.  We were using a Morley controller and it was showing red!   Running was erratic with either loco.  So removing the loco and keeping controller on I used the wand to turn all the lights off.  Fine but as soon as I turned power on again with or without a loco on the front, the lights came on again, with erratic running from the loco.

At the moment I have a £200 white elephant.

So I have 2 questions

1) How do I turn the lights off such that they stay off until/unless I specifically turn them on again.  ?  Or is there an easy way to disconnect them.?
2) the coaches do not run as freely as, say, Farish coaches.  Is it OK to lightly oil the bearings?  I do have plastic compatible light oil from good sources.  Since I put this question on the N gauge forum and direct to REvolution support I have noted their answer to this issue above and read the guidance on the website which I will follow.