RevolutioN/Accurascale MK.5/MK.5A coaching stock/DT

TomE

Having emailed REvolution Support last night with my issues, they replied early this morning.  Wow!  All credit is due for such a prompt response.  We hear so many tales of woe of lousy service, it is right that we draw attention to and commend those who like Revolution make an effort.

Firstly they do strongly advice against oiling the wheel bearings in case it restricts the important electrical conductivity. Though as lighting does not bother me much this would not be a major risk.  But I will avoid doing it.  When I unclipped he axles I did notice some plastic flash in a few of the axle mounts.  A careful few passes with my smallest round needle file removed these and the measure certainly helped unstiffen running.  As I am only running 4 coaches, not 16 , a little residual stiffness is not likely to bother me.

When it comes to the lights automatically coming on again after you start the train from still, this seems to be an quirk of DC operation - they reset themselves.  Apparently this does not happen with DCC operation.  So I learn from the N Gauge Forum.  Ah well!!!

What I did find was that the lighting was not overloading the controller and causing the short.  I built up a load of three of the four coaches and no problem.  On the forth coach I discovered eventually that a short was caused by one of the 4 axles (1 0f 16 in the whole train).  I tweaked the wheel spacing and now it all works well.  Though by then I had removed the lighting pick ups from the bogie so that coach no longer lights.  No matter I have stored them safely. But the lights on the remaining 4 coaches do not short things out.  

So will try the train again on the club layout next week but we are looking good.  No more orders with Revolution at present.  But if/when they open the books on the Class 120 DMU I will be ordering 2 - I green and 1 blue.  As a modeller of the Scottish scene,I leapt for joy when they announced that project.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Portpatrick said:

When it comes to the lights automatically coming on again after you start the train from still, this seems to be an quirk of DC operation - they reset themselves.  Apparently this does not happen with DCC operation.

The rear red lights on the Rapido class 28 work the same way. As long as there's track power the magnet switch stays latched. When the power is turned off, it resets turning the light back on. The track power on DCC is always on so it's not a problem. 

Personally I'd prefer some hidden DIP switches as used on some OO Gauge models (yet accessiblefrom the outside). Whether there's room in N is a other matter.

Steven B

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, bmthtrains - David said:

So if you switch off the lights and then pull the coaches to a halt in a station they will come back on again? That’s madness!  What is the point of having them switchable if this happens? 

David 

Hi David,

The switches are designed to offer coach lighting to all without the need to put a separate lighting chip in every coach on DCC. 

I understand that some DC users are 'cheating' the switch by turning the power down just enough to stop the train, but not enough to kill the lights.  I guess it is no different really to the loco headlights going off when the train stops at a station - just the limit of analogue controllability.

cheers

Ben A.

I am a DCC user so it wouldnt affect me, but were I an analogue user I am not sure I like the idea of having current going through what is effectively a stalled motor to keep lights off, it can't be good for motors, especially coreless ones with no iron core to help dissipate the heat that would be created surely? 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

So which option is better for DC modellers:

1. Lights that are on/off based on a switch which you may need to take the roof off to access?

2. Lights that are on whenever there's power with no way of turning them off?

3. Lights that are on whenever there's power but can be turned off by waving a magnet over them?

4. No lights fitted - let DCC modellers buy them as an option like Dapol do.

SB

• RMweb Gold

Could be worse, could be like the Class 320 where the switch to turn off the interior lights on the powered coach is inside one of the hardest to remove bodies I've ever had while the trailer cars have a sensible external switch on the bottom.

The MK5's could probably have done with a switch to disable the lights entirely for folks that don't want them although I'm not really sure theres any room for one in N gauge.

How feasible is it to disconnect the lights without damage? Especially for the TPE MK5s (interior lights only, the directional lights on the DT would still be wanted)

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Roy L S said:

I am a DCC user so it wouldnt affect me, but were I an analogue user I am not sure I like the idea of having current going through what is effectively a stalled motor to keep lights off, it can't be good for motors, especially coreless ones with no iron core to help dissipate the heat that would be created surely? 

Hi Roy,

Yes - good point about heat. 

If we’re talking a brief station stop maybe the heat won’t build up excessively but I don’t think it would be a good idea to leave them in a siding like this for long periods. 

I guess that’s a matter for individuals.  

Cheers 

Ben A.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Steven B said:

1. Lights that are on/off based on a switch which you may need to take the roof off to access?

3. Lights that are on whenever there's power but can be turned off by waving a magnet over them?

SB

4 for me. I’m not a huge fan of interior lighting (tail lights are nice though) and I’d have sooner saved a couple of quid on the price of a coach. 

DCC operation isn’t faultless - they still light up when track power is lost. So on powering the layout up or if you get a short you have to go and turn off all the errant tail lights. 

I’ve got 15 running behind a pair of 92s now. Just one to add. They’re not quick, but it’s on an oval of Unitrack small enough they’re about 90% of the way around, so a fair challenge with drag in the curves. I’ve removed the lighting pickups on all bar the last coach. I’m tempted to dismantle them and actually remove the weights from inside, but that is clearly harder to reverse should I decide to simply get rid of them instead!

Overall I remain pretty disappointed I must say. 

• Agree 1

Sorry to add another question to the forum. Whilst everyone is concerned about drag issues and wand activated lights, I'm not sure if my order (to Australia) has been dispatched yet.

It's order #49894 and as far as I can see, was placed and paid on 15/10/2021. When I log into my account the status of the order is "processing" with no tracking number given.

Are there still some international orders still to be dispatched, or am I missing something? Maybe I just need to be more patient...

Cheers, Tom R.

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, tiger said:

Sorry to add another question to the forum. Whilst everyone is concerned about drag issues and wand activated lights, I'm not sure if my order (to Australia) has been dispatched yet.

It's order #49894 and as far as I can see, was placed and paid on 15/10/2021. When I log into my account the status of the order is "processing" with no tracking number given.

Are there still some international orders still to be dispatched, or am I missing something? Maybe I just need to be more patient...

Cheers, Tom R.

Hi Tom

We’re sending them out as quickly as possible but if you’re order is still showing as Processing then as per our FAQs it hasn’t been despatched yet. 

Apologies I thought we had sent all fully paid orders but it looks like we missed a few (which will get picked up when we go through the orders again). 

best wishes Mike

• Thanks 1

On 02/10/2023 at 11:32, tiger said:

Cheers, Tom R.

Mine arrived in Melbourne on Monday, so if yours were despatched (check Revolution website) over a week ago you should have received a tracking nubmer which can be followed on Aussie Post.

I am delighted with these sleeper coaches. The detail and quality is of a very high standard and the printing is superb. As has been said, the close coupling is excellent and I love the lighting. Like others, I have experienced problems with drag making it difficult for a loco to pull 6 coaches. However, I have discovered that you only need power pick ups on one bogie per coach to make the lights work. So, I removed the contact tags from one bogie per coach, ensured the other bogie did not drag and as a result the whole rake runs freely with no problems. (This is on DC. Not sure of the implications for DCC).

Cheers,

Ged.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I received mine last Saturday but only had chance to have a quick look at them whilst still in the box.

Having read the comments on here regarding the possible drag issue and also picking up on the lighting queries (I didn't even realise that this was included) I thought that I would take my 4 coach set down to the Leeds MRS to try on their new Code 40 layout.

On getting them out of the box a crowd immediately gathered and all agreed how good they looked.

There was an obvious drag on them as I freewheeled them up and down the track, some more than others and sometimes freer in one direction than the other but once coupled together the Farish 47 that somebody had summoned didn't have any problems in hauling the short rake around the layout. One coach uncoupled twice at the same spot but this was decided to have been down to a known track issue which also strangely derailed the loco on one of the many laps it did.

I was a little worried about lighting being included in the package as the limited experience I've had of Bachmann cab lighting has not been favourable but I have to say that the light in these coaches impressed me greatly as it is quite subtle and complemented the rake very nicely.

All in all I'm very pleased with them and my only regret is that I didn't order a longer rake as the Fort William portion now seems to be longer than just 4 coaches when I saw it last year.

Anyway, well done Revolution for these and as has already been said, I also wouldn't have known how to build these for myself, so many thanks, I may try and add some more if possible.

Regards,

Ian.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, 03060 said:

All in all I'm very pleased with them and my only regret is that I didn't order a longer rake as the Fort William portion now seems to be longer than just 4 coaches when I saw it last year.

Anyway, well done Revolution for these and as has already been said, I also wouldn't have known how to build these for myself, so many thanks, I may try and add some more if possible.

Regards,

Ian.

Hi Ian,

The Fort William and Aberdeen portions sometimes 'swap' - with one or two of the sleepers that would normally go to Aberdeen being assigned to Fort William instead to satisfy summer tourist season demand.

cheers

Ben A.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

As  a modeller with and interest in the West Highland Line, Revolution  Trains  deserve congratulating on the design of the Mk5 sleeper coaches . When the announcement was made I don’t know how I missed. A quick email to the team at Revolution indicated that they had no free Stock of the Fort William Set and a suggestion to try their registered retailer network. Success , I managed to buy the Set representing Fort William Sleeper set. Running on the Layout absolutely stunning and the use of the magic wand to switch the lights on an off certainly better than fitting function decoders in each carriage. Whilst revolution have produced the Class92 in the Caledonian sleeper livery, could you be persuaded to produce the Class73/7 in the correct livery . Looking at the Dapol class 73 model with a view to conversion, this is now dated compared with the offerings from Revolution Trains.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/10/2023 at 03:41, Revolution Mike said:

Hi Tom

We’re sending them out as quickly as possible but if you’re order is still showing as Processing then as per our FAQs it hasn’t been despatched yet. 

Apologies I thought we had sent all fully paid orders but it looks like we missed a few (which will get picked up when we go through the orders again). 

best wishes Mike

Hi Mike

sorry to harass you about this but my Caledonian Sleeper order is still showing as “processing” one month on. I have received my class 128 in the meantime (which is lovely!). I can’t help thinking that my Mk5 order has been overlooked.

I’m not sure whether this is relevant but I did change my email address associated with my RevolutioN account from a yahoo.co.uk address to a me.com address. The order in question is #49894.

Please PM me if you need any further information.

cheers

Tom.

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/10/2023 at 10:04, Steven B said:

SB

On 01/10/2023 at 11:20, njee20 said:

4 for me. I’m not a huge fan of interior lighting (tail lights are nice though) and I’d have sooner saved a couple of quid on the price of a coach.

As an analogue user (OO gauge) I agree - the cost of chips is one of the reasons I haven't switched to DCC so I'd rather not be paying for components I can't make full use of, like lights and speakers, to be pre-fitted in my models. The Hornby 153 and Bachmann (old tool) 158s aren't too bad with just directional head and tail lights but the EFE class 143 with interior and destination blind lighting up just looked wrong to me and was a factor in my decision to return mine (along with the fragile coupling between the two vehicles - there was no way that was going to give me years of good service to justify the expense of the model - had it been half the price I may have kept it.) The Pacer did have some little switches accessible on the underside without taking it apart, which I'd say is the way to go if lights have to be fitted on DCC-ready models, but unlike the EFE Pacer the switch needs to turn off ALL the lights (if I recall correctly some of them continued to light up when the power was on even with the switch in the off position). If I'd kept it I'd probably have had to take it apart and physically disconnect the lights I really didn't want (interior and destination blind). Really annoying as I've wanted a Valley lines 143 for ages - now waiting and hoping spares will appear at reasonable prices to allow me to assemble one without lights at a lower price, possibly with the Realtrack chassis if the coupling on that is more robust.

25 minutes ago, spenc said:

Anybody who's gone to Warley asked about the mk5 TPE coaches.

Thanks

Steve 

Yes, I asked Mike Hale about them. He said they have not yet had a production delivery date. That's all he could tell me, saying that's all the information they have at this stage.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...