• RMweb Premium

The tunnelS are still going well.  Florence achieved 24 metres per day last week. Shecis past the 5 km mark.  No report of he breakthrough for Dorothy yet.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 2

One of the regular drone flyers who post videos of HS2 progress on YouTube, goes by the name of "The Boy".

His latest video, posted today, follows the route from Greatworth to Chipping Warden.

The "green tunnel"  being built on the old airfield, can be seen at the very end of the 10 minute long video.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

9 hours ago, Mike Storey said:

I think rusting metal is quite the thing for those leafy corners.

Rusting metal is the current, in vogue design choice.

There's plenty of it resulting from all the new steelwork put in place on the M27 as part of the recently completed "Smart Motorway" (Yuk!) works.

Personally, I think it looks lazy, unfinished and awful.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Rusting metal is the current, in vogue design choice.

There's plenty of it resulting from all the new steelwork put in place on the M27 as part of the recently completed "Smart Motorway" (Yuk!) works.

Personally, I think it looks lazy, unfinished and awful.

Yes, and don't I know it. We had to plan for the new, pedestrian overbridge across Stratford Station, in time for the 2012 Games, amidst all of the shiny new station bits, shiny new stadia and office/shopping blocks. When we first saw it, we all wondered why they had not, at least, primed it before erection.....

I think it is still "in vogue", merely because it is cheaper than painting, and re-painting.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

The tunnelS are still going well.  Florence achieved 24 metres per day last week. Shecis past the 5 km mark.  No report of he breakthrough for Dorothy yet.

Rather strange that there's no news of Dorothy emerging at the south portal.

It's 16 days (4th July) since they reported 96 metres left to go.

I predicted on here, that it should have happened last week.

Pure guesswork on my part, based on the rate of progress, but I got that completely wrong.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Just now, Ron Ron Ron said:

Pure guesswork on my part, based on the rate of progress, but I got that completely wrong.

Time of the month?

Hat. coat etc ........

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, Mike Storey said:

Yes, and don't I know it. We had to plan for the new, pedestrian overbridge across Stratford Station, in time for the 2012 Games, amidst all of the shiny new station bits, shiny new stadia and office/shopping blocks. When we first saw it, we all wondered why they had not, at least, primed it before erection.....

I think it is still "in vogue", merely because it is cheaper than painting, and re-painting.

Supposedly rusty steel doesn't rust.........

So. Why are they painting the Forth Bridge?

The Ordsall Chord bridges over Liverpool Road Station throat & the Ring Road in Manchester are 'Plain Rust' finish.

https://goo.gl/maps/siANzyX6whpUgNXx9

https://goo.gl/maps/hfWUK9pSEkDHohi67

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Supposedly rusty steel doesn't rust.........

So. Why are they painting the Forth Bridge?

Er, yes it does! Mild steel, and other steels usually (or previously) used for structural works, continuously degrade when rusting, unless regularly protected by painting or similar. Corten Steel (or its more recent variants) used as the preferred "weathering steel" for many bridges and other structures, does not, due to additives, mainly phosphorus, which means its tarnishing surface never affects the layers below.

However, Corten Steel is between 55% and 70% more expensive per tonne than Mild steel, and perhaps 40% more expensive than stainless. But then you have to add the costs of prepping, painting, and later, multiple re-painting other steels. Hence Corten steel's whole life costs are perceived as relatively lower.

• Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

They built a big set of student flats in Leeds clad in Corten steel.  Nice and shiny when first erected. It was fascinsting to watch it rust over.  The ladt areas to go were under the balconies.

Jamie

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

was tunnelling affected by the fire?

did they have a stop on all TBMs? 

49 minutes ago, ess1uk said:

was tunnelling affected by the fire?

did they have a stop on all TBMs? 

If you are referring to the fire in one of the Chilterns tunnels, then that was a few months ago and it shouldn't have had any impact on the latest rate of progress.

In any case, the last report on Dorothy (Long Itchington tunnel) was 17 days ago, with only 96 metres left to go,

I can imagine slowing down or pausing for the final few dozen or so metres, but 17 days is quite a long time to complete that short distance.

Maybe they've gone off course and are now heading for Cornwall?  🙄 😇

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

14 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

This video has  been uploaded recently.  The best bit is at the end where progress with the green tunnel is shown

Jamie

Very good and worth watching. Thank you.

But what on earth is that massive car park on the left, right near the end??

Jamie

Chipping Warden airfield [like several others such as Bruntingthorpe and Upper Heyford on occasion] is/was used as a storage ground by manufacturers for cars awaiting delivery.

Edited by Arun Sharma
politeness
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

This video has  been uploaded recently.  The best bit is at the end where progress with the green tunnel is shown......

I'm afraid that's a duplicate post Jamie.

That particular video has already been posted further up this same page............about a dozen posts earlier.

😎

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

They built a big set of student flats in Leeds clad in Corten steel.  Nice and shiny when first erected. It was fascinsting to watch it rust over.  The ladt areas to go were under the balconies.

Jamie

I thought it came rusty!

Those bridges for the Ordsall Chord were 'rusty' when installed.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, melmerby said:

I thought it came rusty!

Those bridges for the Ordsall Chord were 'rusty' when installed.

I think it depends on when it is fabricated.  The building in Leeds was a new build and the Corten steel was cladding. I suspect that such items as the Ordsall bridge were fabricated offsite and rusted prior to installation.  I would imagine that the same will happen with the HS2 bridges.

Unfortunately  my architect friend who could have told me is no longer with us.

Jamie

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

We replaced diesel generator exhausts on type 22s with Corten, the plates were "rusty" when they arrived, when they were ready for welding, those areas were ground back to "shiny" and once welded were left to go "rusty" again.

• Informative/Useful 3