• RMweb Premium

From the latest progress report, posted 2nd August the Chiltern Tunnels are going well.  Both Florence and Cecilia are past the 5km mark and are both averaging around 25 metres per day.

Jamie

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

Long Itchington Tunnel - South Portal (Southam)  - 6th August 2022

The cutting head of TBM, "Dorothy" can be seen, having broken through into the portal box, just over 2 weeks ago.

EDIT 08/08/22

The temporary road diversion can be seen under construction around the site.

This will be used to carry the A425 traffic, while the railway cutting is extended to the south (to the bottom left of shot).

A green tunnel (cut and cover in old terms) will be constructed over the line, extending from the tunnel portal, until the line is south of the A425 (again, off to the bottom left).

The road can then be rebuilt on its original alignment and the temporary road removed.

The "green tunnel" is needed as the tunnel bore wouldn't have been deep enough below ground at this point.

Therefore, this tunnel is mostly bored, with one end having a short stretch of cut & cover, extending it a bit further, to clear the A425.

Note: You can see part of the green tunnel covering, already in place over the concrete box, but leaving a hole, to allow the TBM cutting head to be  removed.

That hole will eventually be similarly covered over.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Here's a newly released (yesterday, the 10th Aug)  34 minute long documentary on HS2, produced by the construction and infrastructure channel, B1M.

It might polarise views, but there is an attempt at balance.

It also broadens the argument about all such large, government infrastructure projects, not only here, but around the world.

Personal criticisms .

Not enough emphasis on the capacity issue.

Ignores what the long term effects of not addressing the capacity issues will be.

Overplaying the actual scale of the protest activities (just like the sensationalist news media), which in reality are extremely tiny and sub-fringe.

Only a brief mention of other large infrastructure projects in other countries, going right off the original cost scale and being late.

Otherwise the video crams a lot in.

The question posited in the final conclusion, is do we need to come to terms with the fact that the benefits will only be realised long into the future and that we have to accept the financial and other pain in the short term?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

An interesting and well presented program  all the points for and against were put without histrionics and in a way you could understand,  the antis were allowed thier say and sorry for them it did not have any substance.HS2 are making huge efforts to maintain our countryside and minimalise annoyance to locals. Here in Aylesbury you only realise the magnitude when you make occasional contact with the works.Once the works are complete I bet local people will forget its there a.  nd the antis will have moved away or just given up.  I hope I will see trains running and what they do with the wcml  not that will need to go far by then!

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, lmsforever said:

Once the works are complete I bet local people will forget its there and the antis will have moved away or just given up. 

They will move on to what ever is the next fashionable thing to protest about.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium

The latest progress reports from Florence and Cecilia TBM's show that Florence is now past the 1/3rd point having done 5694 metres.  The crews must be on a good bonus scheme as they are both managing about 24m per day.

Jamie

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Grovenor said:

Perhaps you could just read the previous half dozen posts. Then you might realise the reason for Melmerby's comment. 😆

So sad you keyboard warriors.

Brit15

On 11/08/2022 at 18:48, melmerby said:

I take it you haven't been reading this thread?😄

Parts of it are interesting and informative, like my Youtube link.

See comment above.

Brit15

2 hours ago, APOLLO said:

Parts of it are interesting and informative, like my Youtube link.

See comment above.

Brit15

Whooshhhhh 

A Clue.

The same video was linked, only a 4 posts above your posting.

Literally on the same page.

i.e. You duplicated a video link that had already been posted in full sight.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

26 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Whooshhhhh 

A Clue.

The same video was linked, only a 4 posts above your posting.

Literally on the same page.

i.e. You duplicated a video link that had already been posted in full sight.

To be honest I never saw it.

Apologies to all

Brit15

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, APOLLO said:

Apologies to all

Brit15

I suppose it depends on what you are viewing on, maybe a tablet/phone covers less area in one go.

I was on a large screen PC and the bottom of the first link and the top of the second link could both be in view at the same time (just!)

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, APOLLO said:

Apologies to all

Brit15

Don't worry I did the same a couple of weeks ago.  In my case it's another senior moment flying past.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Don't worry I did the same a couple of weeks ago.  In my casecit's another senior moment flying past.

For a brief instance, I thought I’d have to Google or look up “casecit’s” in the dictionary.

Another posh word I wasn’t familiar with….!

That was my own senior moment this morning.

• Funny 4