23 hours ago, luke_stevens said:

But isn't it the turn of the Hungarians? Or the Poles? Or just M62's :) :) :)

Luke 

Luke,

No MAV or PKP locos, I’m afraid. The only Sergi’s I have are three Czech 781’s.

Being a little bit random here are some of the Former East German delegation…

German Visitors

Now being extremely random:

Croatian Visitors now!!!

The Croatian’s including a dumped steam loco (33-098).

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

42 minutes ago, Neils WRX said:

Croatian Visitors now!!!

The Croatian’s including a dumped steam loco (33-098).

Wow! 

Where did you get the 6 axle diesels? I've got a resin body kit for a 644 plus a Frateschi chassis and a set of decals ex-Balkan models but I never got to get it all assembled into Montenegrin Railways 644-013. No doubt a task for another day :).

Luke

• Like 1

18 hours ago, luke_stevens said:

Wow! 

Where did you get the 6 axle diesels? I've got a resin body kit for a 644 plus a Frateschi chassis and a set of decals ex-Balkan models but I never got to get it all assembled into Montenegrin Railways 644-013. No doubt a task for another day :).

Luke

Luke,

The 2 nearest the camera are 2061’s which are Balkan Models kits (JZ661) they were supplied as unpainted bodies. Both have since been fitted with ESU Loksound. They were done ages ago so could do with a little improvement.

HZ 2061011 - Balkan Models

The other is a much hacked about Lima South African loco which is a passable representation of a 2063 if a little under scale. Again Loksound and Stayalive fitted.

Croatian Railways HZ 2063003

I do have a 2044 in bits as well…. That’s so far down the to do list!!!

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 1 month later...

As another month has gone by thought it was worth doing another update to summarise recent progress.

The layouts Facebook page crossed the 100 likes barrier and is currently sat around 125.

I’ve got the second fiddle yard board up and running so I can open the shed doors and get stock in and out.

1 foot fiddle yard

Here is the first loco out of the shed:

Here are the first wagons out of the wagon  repair works.

I also connected both fiddle yards up together and operated the layout at its full 8 foot length for the first time.

The layout all 8 feet of it!!!

The only issue is there isn’t really space to leave the layout up and work in “my office” as I can’t use both my computers together.

Other bits and bobs, I’ve built the first of the Scale Model Scenery 50ft lamp towers, although OO scale they look fine on the layout. I have another to still build.

Lx450 lighting tower - scale model scenery

The shed also now has numbers.

Shed numbers

Just a few more train pictures.

Depot Yard

SNCB 9101 - Wagonworks

Belgian line up in front of the shed

Stay safe everyone,

Neil

• Like 10

• 1 month later...

I seem to be modelling on 2 fronts at moment doing odd bits on both layouts.

One job I’ve been meaning to get around two for the last 20 years or so was build a brake down crane. I purchased a Kibri kit years ago and it has languished in a box ever since. As I wanted a model that ran I replaced the wheels and added quite a bit of weight. I resprayed the components to make it look less plastic and assembled it.

SNCB Kibri Breakdown Crane

SNCB Kibri Breakdown Crane

I was quite pleased with the results and it looks the part. As the transfer instructions weren’t clear I went looking online for suitable prototypes. It quickly became apparent there weren’t any prototype pictures online, only a smaller one or a larger one….

Little 

GRUE GOTTWALD - KINKEMPOIS

Large

NMBS/SNCB : 214 384 00

I asked the question on a Belgian forum and managed to start an argument/discussion about models of not real things….

I think I will produce a livery that looks similar to the large crane, but might opt to scratch build a new cab/body section in due course.

Other jobs, I’ve painted the shed doors.

The shed doors have been painted!!

Back to the Czech layout now….

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

In the last month I’ve actually been quite busy “supering” as the Belgians would say.

I’ve fitted LED lights to 6 Roco 62’s this means I have been able to remove the plastic light bars and fit ESU Stayalive’s to the sound fitted ones. What was interesting was that Roco had changed the circuit boards between models, the later ones required a bit of surgery. I have ordered another 5 sets of LED’s to finish the rest of the fleet off.

Headlights, modified on the right

Fitting LED’s to Roco Class 62’s

Taillights

Production line…

Circuit Boards 

Sound fitted ones complete 

Stay Alive fitted on the right hand side.

Fitting a Stayalive to a Roco SNCB 62.

62’s awaiting their next turn of duty

SNCB 6218 & 6242 Roco

As my usual DCC supplier had some Stayalive‘a in stock I’ve also fitted one in a Mehano 51’s as well and it runs very well. I had to change the speaker to make space for the capacitor.

Just a Sunday morning picture!! Here CFL 1603 awaits the signal to leave the shed.

CFL 1603 - Roco

Finally my Facebook page has got to 150 likes!!

150 Likes

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 8

More Roco 62 Supering. Added a few bits of plastic to the cabs to give the impression of a drivers deska d chairs. Also swapped the driver to the correct side of the cab as well (no idea why Roco got this wrong…).

SNCB class 62 cab interior detailing

Also drilled the middle exhaust port out instead of the Roco moulding stud.

SNCB 6255 - Roco

“Trains from history” the T Train to Blankenberge with a Mehano class 51. As it’s summer trainheat is not required. This is as it was in the late 1990’s.

SNCB 5183 - Mehano

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Holidays are done, and the heat wave (which forgot the West of Scotland) has passed.

Managed some odd jobs since the last update. The road overbridge is slowly nearing completion, curtesy of Noch pavement and road surface and some Scale Model Scenery fencing.

Buses on a Bridge

Following the model railway rule every road bridge must have a bus on it!!!

Belgian Bus on a Bridge

Belgian Bus on a Bridge

I have a girder to go along the bottom of the bridge but it needs painting so I’ll save that for a future update.

I’ve also discovered rust washes and pigments and I’ve added some neglect to the water tower and old water crane by the shed building.

Belgian Watertower

Belgian Watertower

Belgian Watercrane

Belgian Watercrane

Finally a YouTube clip of 5931 departing the depot.

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I’d post another update, since the last one I did a test fit in the car, it fits but only just. The issue is I don’t really have space for the rolling stock as well as the tressles, so it will either need two cars or a small van. It also definitely needs two people to move it. Will provide details if it ever gets out and about.

It fits!!!

One new loco has arrived another  Piko 82, the new ones certainly run better than the first ones they produced. No sound just a DCC chip added.

SNCB 8214 - Piko

One other worthwhile development to report is the commencement of putting the  Ohle up.

Coming soon OHLE

At the moment six sections are up unfortunately I managed to break one of the sections so I need a replacement to come Germany before I can carry on and finish the job. I do still have to resolve crossing the baseboard join to and from the fiddle yards.

SNCB 1306 - LS Models

SNCB 2201 - Trix

SNCB 2901 - Piko

However as you can see from the video below I can I run trains with pantographs up running along the catenary. One of my personal gripes is seeing electric locomotives running with pantographs lowered.

The wires will be painted in due course once finished.

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Super layout Neil, your photos make the layout look /seem larger than it actually is.

Also love the way you can 'change' the country origin of the depot with the various loco and rolling stock liveries.

Will watch the Sommerfeldt install with interest, I have a way to go on mine before I attempt the task.

Soldering is my least skill set, so it will be a challenge for me!

Keep up the good work.

Regards

Steve

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Busybeas23 said:

Super layout Neil, your photos make the layout look /seem larger than it actually is.

Also love the way you can 'change' the country origin of the depot with the various loco and rolling stock liveries.

Will watch the Sommerfeldt install with interest, I have a way to go on mine before I attempt the task.

Soldering is my least skill set, so it will be a challenge for me!

Keep up the good work.

Regards

Steve

Thanks for the positive comments.

I know what you mean about soldering, I have just used the sommerfeldt components and so far, so good.

Had both fiddle yards up last night so this is the entire layout all 8 foot of it.

The Layout, All of It!!

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

• 4 weeks later...

Another few weeks have gone by and the catenary is still not finished as I’m still waiting a section of wire.

Lots of odds and ends jobs on the layout including street lights on the bridge and the layout even has a flag to be fixed to the front of the baseboard.

Layout and Belgian Flag

Bridge Lamposts

The fiddle yards have end-pieces to prevent runaways at home and at exhibitions, they are on the list to be painted.

Baseboard end plate

The layout now has over 200 followers on its Facebook page.

A few more random pictures from Flickr/ Facebook.

5512 on shed

SNCB 5512 - B Models

9101 waits for the signal to come off

SNCB 9101 - B Models

DMU 4410 comes off shed

SNCB 4410 - Olearts

2618 with both pantographs up

SNCB 2618 - Mehano

Another quick video showing progress on the layout with 5183 arriving and going on to shed.

The layout has its first outing in December as well:

Paisley Model Railway Show

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

• 5 weeks later...

Time for another update less than a month to go before the layouts first exhibition so it’s time to get odd jobs done.

The fiddle yard boards have been painted :

Painted Fiddle Yard Boards

The layout has a temporary sign, I tried to get a font that was close to the Belgian Railways Station signs.

Belgian MPD Sign

The last piece of the catenary has arrived from Germany and it’s been installed.

SNCB 2618 - Mehano

SNCB 2703 - LS Models

The street lights now work and I’ve wired them into the DCC Switch unit and another bus has arrived:

Another Belgian Bus on a Bridge

The fuel point lights now works, not that any one will notice…

CFL 1803 - B Models

Thanks,

Neil

Edited by Neils WRX
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Another development the traverser has arrived. This is 4 foot long and will be for exhibition use only as it’s to long to be up at home. It will replace the 2 foot long board when the layout is on its travels and gives my a much longer “headshunt”.

4 foot traverser

4 foot traverser

However it won’t be in use at the Paisley exhibition as I won’t have it finished in time.

Been playing with the layout and one of the Digital Concepts IP Point Motors stopped working for some unknown reason. I set it up again and it seems to be working again. Not sure why it failed.

Just a few train pictures to finish off.

2 AFB Nohab’s and a 91 at the fuelling point.

SNCB 5217, 5404 & 9101

5404 and 5183 on shed.

SNCB 5404 - B Models

SNCB 5404 - B Models

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Only a week to go before the layouts first public outing. A valence has been fitted for the time along with the flag ( which needs ironing ). I’m going to write a couple of info sheets to go on the front of the layout but this is the layout so far.

Layout Valance and Flag

Quick front end Friday picture of 3 Roco AFB’s.

SNCB AFB’s - Roco

I went to the show at Falkirk last weekend and purchased a DCC Concepts surge protector to hopefully stop the split second shorts and stop the point motors loosing their addresses. I wired it in the cable from the Z21 before the split between the track supply bus and the accessory bus. This seemed to stop the split second shorts, however it seemed to trip out far to easily, so I’ve temporarily disconnected it. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 7

Cleaned the track, made my loco selection checked them, cleaned their wheels.

Picked some suitable rolling stock and packed everything up. No idea if I have to much or to little. 

Printed the info sheet out, ironed flag and valance (and burnt a hole in it….).

The Paisley exhibition countdown is running!!! If you happen to be in the area come along and say hello this weekend.

A couple of pictures of some of the visitors that will be going Paisley:

ACTS 6705

Acts 6705 - Roco

DBAG 232586 (should really be a 241…)

DBAG 232 - Roco

HGK class 66 here for type approval (a bit rule one…)

HGK DE64 - Mehano

One that won’t be coming, a Mehano DMU 4193

SNCB 4193 - Mehano

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 8

That was an intense weekend....

Layout packed up and taken up to Paisley on Friday for the exhibition, this was the first time everything had been fitted in the car properly. Katie made her own way to Paisley as there was no space in the car and she helped me set up.

Paisley Exhibition

The exhibition was in the former Alders Department store on 2 of the 3 floors, it was light bright and airy an excellent venue.

Did a quick test and all was ok, headed home as Katie had a gig in the evening.

Back on Saturday morning, the exhibition was busy with lots of people commenting positively, the layout ran very well until about 1620 when for some reason the double slip failed. I tried various things to fix it without success until the exhibition venue closed. At one point I was tempted to rip the motor out, I thought it might have lost its address somehow but tried setting it up again without any progress.

My daughter “helping out”

Paisley Exhibition

Couple of layout pictures

Paisley Exhibition

Paisley Exhibition - AFB’s

I returned Sunday and tried again still without success. In the end I chose to operate without it working. Again a good days operating.

Paisley Exhibition - Sunday

Got a few potential exhibition invites as well for 2023 and 2024.

It was quite a steep learning curve for me as it was only the second time I’d exhibited my own layout, and I came away with a few things I’d change for the next one. I took way to much stock with me, and actually took some home on Saturday evening. There were a number of locomotives that never came out of their crates all weekend.

Took loads of tools and never used any of them (thankfully) ....

The layout height of 110cm seemed to work well including with a couple of wheelchair users. Small children still needed to be picked up. The only issue was the info sheet was to low, so next time I’ll close the small fiddle yard off with a panel so I can use it as a place to put the info sheet. This shouldn’t detract from the layout, but I personally like a open fiddle yard.

Previously I mentioned about using a traverser for exhibitions, however I managed just fine without it , so I’m going to stick with this format going forward which means I have a spare 4 foot Tim Horn traverser looking for a new project.... More of that later.

The couple of electrics I’d brought ran with pans up, although my “ski jump” to engage the pantographs didn’t really work, so I used my fingers to make sure they went under the bridge. I was asked a number of times if I used the OHLE for current collection, and replied it wasn’t.

DCC Sound wasn’t really a success as I turn the volume down at home, I should have  turned it up to 11 for the exhibition as this is what the layout opposite had done.... I really struggled to hear my own layout as did the exhibition visitors, with people having to lean into my “box”. You live and learn.

I also need to mount the Z21 and modem to the layout for next time rather than having them sat on the rolling stock boxes.

1600 Sunday, shed has closed

Home for a suitable beer.

Double slip motor replaced this evening and we’re back in action. Not sure why it failed, one for later in the week.

Thanks,

Neil

Edited by Neils WRX
I can’t spell
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

“We’ll done!” seems to me to be the appropriate response to the layout’s first outing.  I’m not an exhibitor, so it’s always helpful to read first hand reports of what’s involved, what works and the kind of things that can go wrong.  Thanks for sharing the report and the photos - it’s a layout well worth seeing if the chance arises, Keith.

• Like 4

On 01/12/2022 at 04:23, Mike Buckner said:

Brings back memories of when I used to live in Belgium 40+ years ago!

Good luck with the exhibition.

Thanks the the positive comments that’s exactly the look I was going for!!!

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 3