On 30/06/2023 at 23:34, Southernman46 said:

Enjoying this thread immensely - have been an SNCB fan ever since that first overnight trip in '85 across the channel on P&O's "Rancid Astrid" to Oostende and beyond. Saw the line of 15's 16' & 27's in Oostende and that was it - smitten especially when the next Koln train arrived behind an 18 ! Am still trying to pick up an LS one from somewhere.

Any knowledge about the VB Class 51 breaking cover ?

Glad you like the thread.

The Rancid Ashtray and other ferries…. Always had a soft spot for the Princesses (Jet foils)….

No real knowledge on the Van Biervliet 51’s I think a small batch of green ones appeared as I saw some pictures on a Luxembourg Model shops page, but that’s all I know I’m afraid.

I haven’t ordered any myself I actually quite like the Mehano ones as none of mine have suffered from the split gear issue. I have fitted Stayalives and use Dloc’s sound files and I’m quite happy with them at the moment (until I see a VB one)….

Thanks

Neil

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

First update in ages, as it’s been the Summer and J’ve been doing other stuff like holidays etc.

Did manage a visit to Belgium for the first time in ages and went to the Bocq Gala. Even made it a family holiday using trains to get around. Here on a visit to Brugge.

SNCB 1886 & Family -Brugge

One modelling job was to use a “really useful box” to contain the Z21 and modem. Should hopefully make setup easier at exhibitions.

Roco Z21 Box

I have been fiddling around with sound again on a few locomotives but that’s for another update.

I have been carrying on with the weekly Facebook update so here are a few random pictures.

SNCB 77’s Mehano

SNCB 8269 - Piko

SNCB 5183 - Mehano

SNCB 9101 - Van Biervliet

SNCB 6257 - Van Biervliet

SNCB 1502 1806 - LS Models

SNCB 2109 - LS Models

SNCB 7604 - LS Models

SNCB 5102 5183 - Mehano

Thanks,

Neil

Edited by Neils WRX
  • Like 13

Quick recap of the summer stuff.

When I built the layout I had ballasted the carriage sidings with “clean ballast” to represent recently relaid track. One reason was to add a bit more operational interest and make use of a track machine. I remember seeing a model of one in operation at the exhibition in Glasgow a few years back.

I knew Viessmann produced one with Infrabel stickers I just missed buying one when they came out.

One turned up on EBay and I’ve added it my collection. Initially it ran poorly over the point work, on further investigation one wheels was slightly too narrow, so I adjusted that and problem solved. Here’s a video of it doing its thing.

I’ve also been adding and swapping chips around and the Lineas 186 now has sound. The original model is by Piko. I have added a ESU Loksound chip to it using a 185 sound file. One of the versions has the same software as a 186 and listening to several clips online it sounds spot on.

I have also added sound to the LS Models 27, I’d like to add sound to the 13 but taking the body shell off is a complete paff…

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
On 02/09/2023 at 19:34, Neils WRX said:

One modelling job was to use a “really useful box” to contain the Z21 and modem. Should hopefully make setup easier at exhibitions.

Nice one. See my solution: all is fixed to a board, which screws from below into the layout. Only connection I have to make is the track power. Has the advantage that on a Friday set-up you can take the Z21 easily home not to leave it in the hall over night. 

53178396930_c03702948f_z.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vecchio said:

Nice one. See my solution: all is fixed to a board, which screws from below into the layout. Only connection I have to make is the track power. Has the advantage that on a Friday set-up you can take the Z21 easily home not to leave it in the hall over night. 

53178396930_c03702948f_z.jpg

i went for the sticky Velcro option, just 2 plugs to connect along with the 2 wires for the track. Also going to wire in a programming track electrical connection as that was a pain when I connected that last time, getting my big fingers in a small space!!

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 1

On 02/09/2023 at 19:34, Neils WRX said:

First update in ages, as it’s been the Summer and J’ve been doing other stuff like holidays etc.

Did manage a visit to Belgium for the first time in ages and went to the Bocq Gala. Even made it a family holiday using trains to get around. Here on a visit to Brugge.

Thanks,

Neil

Neil -

Great layout - so much of interest in each of your posts and photos.

You mention “Bocq Gala” - first time I have heard of this event so pleased that an online search found the website ‘cfbocq.be. Aside from the rolling stock and train rides, were there any traders of models, books, railwayana etc? Did anything inspire you to add to your layout?
And do you know if this is an annual event as this looks worth a visit in 2024? Is there a website anywhere for such events in Belgium, France, Luxembourg or Germany?

Kind regards.

Edited by ModRXsouth
Addition
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, ModRXsouth said:

Neil -

Great layout - so much of interest in each of your posts and photos.

You mention “Bocq Gala” - first time I have heard of this event so pleased that an online search found the website ‘cfbocq.be. Aside from the rolling stock and train rides, were there any traders of models, books, railwayana etc? Did anything inspire you to add to your layout?
And do you know if this is an annual event as this looks worth a visit in 2024? Is there a website anywhere for such events in Belgium, France, Luxembourg or Germany?

Kind regards.

You are correct the Bocq is from Ciney to Spontin and beyond. Eventually the line will open to Yvoir but that’s maybe a few years away. They have a Gala second weekend in August (it’s well publicised) which normally involves some visitors. 

The only thing I brought this year was a book. In previous years they have had a model layout but this year it was a big Lego train set and a SNCB Driving Simulator with control desk etc.

There are swap meets in Belgium and one happens at St Ghislain in the old loco depot maybe twice a year.

Most of my purchasing is done on line, not sure the last thing I brought from a shop in person for the layout.

Other preserved railways in Belgium that are worth a look are Dendermonde-Purrs, CF3V at Mariembourg, and Eeklo all have events during the year.

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 2

On 13/09/2023 at 09:36, Neils WRX said:

You are correct the Bocq is from Ciney to Spontin and beyond. Eventually the line will open to Yvoir but that’s maybe a few years away. They have a Gala second weekend in August (it’s well publicised) which normally involves some visitors. 

The only thing I brought this year was a book. In previous years they have had a model layout but this year it was a big Lego train set and a SNCB Driving Simulator with control desk etc.

There are swap meets in Belgium and one happens at St Ghislain in the old loco depot maybe twice a year.

Most of my purchasing is done on line, not sure the last thing I brought from a shop in person for the layout.

Other preserved railways in Belgium that are worth a look are Dendermonde-Purrs, CF3V at Mariembourg, and Eeklo all have events during the year.

Thanks,

Neil

Thank you Neil for the information.

On 05/07/2023 at 15:36, Neils WRX said:

Glad you like the thread.

The Rancid Ashtray and other ferries…. Always had a soft spot for the Princesses (Jet foils)….

No real knowledge on the Van Biervliet 51’s I think a small batch of green ones appeared as I saw some pictures on a Luxembourg Model shops page, but that’s all I know I’m afraid.

I haven’t ordered any myself I actually quite like the Mehano ones as none of mine have suffered from the split gear issue. I have fitted Stayalives and use Dloc’s sound files and I’m quite happy with them at the moment (until I see a VB one)….

Thanks

Neil

Agreed about the Mehano 51's - have managed to get 5142 & 5183 and they are good 👍.

I am really struggling to resist the new LSM 18's - too modern for my period but oohh nice !!!

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Southernman46 said:

Agreed about the Mehano 51's - have managed to get 5142 & 5183 and they are good 👍.

I am really struggling to resist the new LSM 18's - too modern for my period but oohh nice !!!

i know what you mean about the LSM 18’s, I said I wasn’t going any newer than 2010, then I brought a ESU Lineas 66 and then a Lineas 186 turned up now I have gone and brought a 18…..

• Like 2

Some actual modelling has taken place :-)

I have a M2 coach that is used for the depot staff train. I thought I’d detail the vehicle a bit starting with the interior. The coach is by Trix and is one of quite a number I own. This one has its gangways retracted so won’t be used in longer trains.

First job was paint the interior, the vehicle I picked was 1st/2nd with smoking accommodation, so after a quick spray of grey primer. The first class non smoking seats are green, smoking ones are red and standard class is blue. 

SNCB M2 Coach Interior - Trix

Having reassembled the coach and put it on the layout you couldn’t see the interior so I added some lights, I used the moving sensor ones from TrainTrax which are ok as a temporary stop gap.

And with the layout lights off.

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 10

• 1 month later...

Another mainly photos and video update.

I did discover one feature of the z21 route setting you can delay actions happening so the level crossing starts flashing, the points move and finally the signals clear, a great feature.

The only addition since the last update is a class 18.2 electric which is a bit to new for my time period really…. Originally I wasn’t going beyond about 2010 but this has slipped on many occasions including several LINEAS liveried locomotives. So the addition of a “new” class 18 is a logical step. The model is by LS Models and is of course sound fitted.

SNCB 1833 - LS Models

A few videos and pictures.

Mehano 5183 fitted with DLoc sounds.

6106 by B-Models / Van Biervliet on the fuel point.

SNCB 6106 - B Models

9101 passes through with a couple of tank wagons.

6257 by B-Models stabled on shed.

SNCB 6257 - B Models

5403 by Roco leaves the depot. The model is fitted with a Stayalive and Dloc sound.

Finally something very random, went to the Warners Brothers Studio Tour a few weeks back. Only thing of railway interest…..

GWR 5972 - Hogwarts

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A quick update, less than a week to go until the layouts first exhibition of 2023.

If you’re at a loose end this weekend come along to Paisley and say hello.

One of my jobs following the previous exhibition was to make a display board at the shed end. I’ve also included a QR code with a link to the Layouts Facebook Page.

Before painting 

Info Boards

After

Info Boards

I’ve selected the rolling stock and cleaned the wheels and track and vacuumed it.

Need to iron the valance and flag, so I think I’m nearly all set.

Another thing I learnt from last time is have a layout fact sheet for any perspective exhibition managers so I’ve written one.

Just a shot of 3 AFB’s and a 51.

5404, 5205, 5403 and 5183

The layout is also going to appear in Modelspoor Magazine next year and is pencilled in for the April issue.

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

Exhibition Report - Paisley 2023

Had a great weekend at the Paisley Show, I think I learnt some more lessons and have a few things to take away.

Friday was set up and we managed this in about 80 minutes from car arrival to departure.

All packed up!!

Back on Saturday morning for a full days operating. I decided to operate different time periods on each day. Saturday was 1990’s.

Paisley Exhibition - Saturday

All went well for the first hour or so then a point motor stopped responding. I thought I had a repeat of last year and made an attempt to remove it. But the location was difficult to get at quickly so I left it.

Tried to switch another point and that didn’t work either. I had lost all point and signal control.

I was using a wired Multimaus controller as well as the Wifimaus but the route setting was on the iPhone over WiFi. I tried the old IT Crowd trick of turning it on and off again, sure enough that worked.

I had to flick the switch at least 5-6 times in the next hour, and a couple of times in the afternoon. I guess my WiFi signal was getting corrupted some how.

Apart from that the only tool I used was the superglue to make the odd repair.

Had lots of good chat several people had come to specially see the layout, I was honoured.

Some photos:

On Sunday I was operating 2010 onwards, again the same WiFi problem happened a couple of times, but a reset sorted it out.

Again a number of people had come to the show to see the layout and a couple of work colleagues stopped by for a chat.

I think comment of the day was from a young boy who his Dad had to pickup pointed at the Lineas 66 and shouted “funny coloured shed”!!!

The show closed at 1600 and I was back home by 1715.

Sunday pictures

Paisley Exhibition - Sunday

Last loco off the shed!

I still took stock I didn’t use, but the control box with the Z21 worked well as did the signals I added since the last show

A great weekend, thanks to the Renfrewshire Model Railway Club for the invite.

Thanks,

Neil

Edited by Neils WRX
  • Like 5
  • Round of applause 3

On 27/11/2023 at 22:47, luke_stevens said:

That was much more of a struggle than I'd expected. I couldn't find one anywhere local (and I live in London) so ended up getting one from Peco themselves at the Warley show.

I've finally had time to sit down and read the article :)

My introduction to Belgian Railways was a little earlier. My first adult independent holidays was spending 11 days traveling round Belgium by train back in '87. I remember the first night sitting on the end of the platform as Oostende watching a train going to Split in Yugoslavia. Later that week I was on a diesel hauled service and as I got down out of the coach I saw that the brass foot step had "built in 1938" cast into it's surface. And my first trip on double deck stock was one of the M5's in the original maroon; looked lovely but cramped up-stairs. And Nohab's to Dinant! Pleasant memories.

Luke

• Like 3

On 04/12/2023 at 23:51, luke_stevens said:

Sounds like you had a good show! It doesn't sounds as if you cam back home saying "never again" under your breath, which is a really good sign :)

Luke

Nope I’d do it all again!!

Do want to get to the bottom of the WiFi issue as that was a bit annoying.

Have a few bits to do before it’s next outing (wherever that might be).

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Neils WRX said:

Nope I’d do it all again!!

Do want to get to the bottom of the WiFi issue as that was a bit annoying.

Good to hear! maybe at some point you'll be a bit further south, especially now you've reached international fame through CM!

Beijiao (the Chinese layout) had the same sort of wifi issues which is why we went back to corded throttles.

Luke

• RMweb Premium
On 06/12/2023 at 16:30, Neils WRX said:

.... Do want to get to the bottom of the WiFi issue as that was a bit annoying. ....

I'm sure that I have read somewhere (on the internet) of others experiencing wifi issues at exhibitions where home use was faultless. The thought was the cause might be interferance from other layouts in the hall also using wifi. Sorry I can't offer any more as I'm no expert in either dcc or wifi.

• Like 1