Made contact with DCC Concepts re the point motors, it appears there are a small number that were made in 2018 that can lose their settings, they agreed to replace the point motor that went wrong before the exhibition. It appears the double slip motors had the same problem so these are being replaced as well.

Hopefully the rest on the motors don’t have the same issue as they were all purchased in the same box.....

One job I meant to before the exhibition was fit the DCC Concepts Alpha panel so I can run wired or wireless. I have heard all sorts of stories about people having problems at exhibitions with WiFi networks. Ironically I’ve changed the position of where the panel was going to go following the exhibition.

DCC Concepts Alpha & Roco Multimaus

Couple of train pictures a 80 class by Piko, and the B Models class 59, in the background you can see the new lights on the shed, these will work when some wire arrives.

SNCB 8045 - Piko

SNCB 5931 - B Models

Last update I mentioned about the surplus traverser, here’s a teaser of its possible future.....

The Next Project

Thanks,

Neil

Edited by Neils WRX
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

As the weather was rubbish today uploaded a sound file to the chip I got from Santa and reflashed a couple of AFB’s!!

Here is Olearts Single Car DMU 4410 fitted with a Dloc sound file:

Happened to notice a new AFB file on his site so uploaded that as a well. This one has a delay on movement after the locomotive “revs up”. The file has a bit of Notch 8 action as well.

If I don’t manage to post anything tomorrow Happy New Year everyone.

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 6

Couple of new video’s:

The Mehano class 41 DMU departs the depot.

Another Dirk (DLoc567) sound file this time a Loksound V4 one in a class 51. I use both the V4 and V5 versions in my 51’s.

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Let there be light

Another job ticked off, the shed external lights now work.

Depot lights

Started fitted lenses into the LED light class 62’s.

LED lights - SNCB 6218 Roco

A bit “Heath Robinson” but it does cut down the light leakage.

LED lights - SNCB 6218 Roco

Thanks,

Neil

Edited by Neils WRX
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just a pictures update, these ones have all been previously posted on layouts FB page.

Roco 5403 waiting to come off shed while the shunter waits to shout instructions.

SNCB 5403 - Roco

A pair of 55’s on a sleeper ECS.

SNCB 5537 & 5505 - B Models

LS Models class 27 on another sleeper ECS.

SNCB 2703 - LS Models

Mehano 5102 on the fuel point:

SNCB 5102 - Mehano

Hopefully have some actual modelling on the next update….

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Thank you for sharing the photos here - as someone who basically doesn’t use Facebook anymore, I appreciate the extra time taken to post them here too.  The lights above the shed doors are a particularly nice touch.  Very good, Keith.

No problem at all I used to be on here a lot more but found the adverts a bit intrusive.

I find both have there place for model railway help and discussion.

Thanks,

Neil

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Pictures Update…

Another photo update. I have been building a shunt signal but more of that when it’s finished as I’m awaiting bits from Belgium.

All these pictures have been posted on the layouts Facebook page.

A new Belgian Shed!!! The local photographers have turned up for a picture.

Ascendos 66 - Heljan

Ascendos 66 - Heljan

Lineas 186 by Piko crossing the level crossing.

Lineas 186293 - Piko

6255 by Roco

SNCB 6255 - Roco

“5901” by Trix

SNCB 201.001 5901 - Trix

Blue ones 

SNCB Blue Ones 5531 5505 4410

1806 by LS Models 

SNCB 1806

Until the next update….

Thanks,

Neil

Edited by Neils WRX
  • Like 6
  • Round of applause 2

Lights ?

I have recently been adding lights to the Czech layout, and happened to notice Lighting Towers on Amazon so ordered 2 as they were very cheap.

The idea was possibly to replace the Scale Model Scenery ones with working versions.

Anyway the models arrived and the actual tower is a much thicker structure than I was expecting from the photos.

Here is a comparison: 

Lightning Towers

However I tried placing one in the middle of the layout and I actually think it works visually as it makes the more delicate ones look further away.

New Light

Another Lighting Tower

Thoughts? 

Neil

• Like 5

It does look a little chunky compared to the laser cut light tower but some weathering would definitely tone it down and once you hide the base that will help.

I really like your idea of forced perspective of the two lights.

Do the lights on it work ok?

• Like 1

Painting Lampposts…

Painted the base and a quick spray of Matt Varnish.

Does tone it down a bit.

Lamppost now painted

Lamppost now painted

A photographer even found a new vantage point….

Photographer finds a new vantage point

Next job, bed it and power it up!!!

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 6

One of those jobs I have been putting off (my wife says I’m not a completer finisher) is designing the way the pantographs will make contact with the ohle leaving the fiddle yards.

The scenic catenary was always designed to enable electrics to run with pantographs raised.

At home and at it’s only exhibition my fingers have to get involved to make sure pans meet the wires.

At the longer 2 foot long fiddle yard I have added a SNCB catenary mast that was spare and cut up a couple of wire sections to make hooks to go around the top crossmember.

Pantograph Ski Jump

Pantograph Ski Jump

I made a quick video showing different pantograph designs. It does seem to work quite well.

Next job will be the short end fiddle yard which might be more of a challenge as there is very little space.

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 weeks later...

More jobs!!

Since last the last update I’ve added a catenary run off / ski jump at the small fiddle yard.

Pantograph Ski Jump Part 2

Again I used some spare catenary masts I had in stock. The masts are set 10cm from the edge of the board the same as the larger fiddle yard.

Pantograph Ski Jump Part 2

Another problem sorted was the poor running B models/ Van Biervliet class 55’s. The early version’s suffered from the gear wheels splitting. Initially they supplied replacement gears but my first set of these split as well.

So the next solution was to supply replacement bogies at 25euros a piece. So I ordered 4 and fitted them. It was a straightforward job once I had figured out what to do.

Van Biervliet replacement bogies

CFL18

Van Biervliet replacement bogies

On shed

CFL 18 SNCB 55 - Van Biervliet

Problem solved and they both run smoothly :-)

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 4

More Light

If done some more modelling….

The lighting tower from Amazon now has  power.

Tower Light Stand

I’ve added another signal (again from B Models) this one is on the depot bypass line just before the crossing.

SNCB 4 Aspect Signal - B Models

This signal is linked into the Z21 Route Setting and will only clear once the level crossing is active.

The next new signal is under the bridge and not that visible as it’s quite hidden but I can see it from my normal operating position by the fiddle yard.

It’s a DCConcepts Ground Signal which I’ve raised up on pole and added steps at the rear. As the signal is on the right hand side I’ve added a directional arrow.

SNCB Raised Shunt Signal - DCConcepts

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 3 weeks later...

Keep forgetting to update this thread.

Anyway two recent arrivals first is another class 76, (No not a BR DC electric) these diesel locomotives were brought by SNCB from NS in the late 1990’s to work LGV construction trains and were withdrawn in about 2002 once other locomotives were available.

Both Piko and Roco produced models of this class based on the Dutch versions.  In my personal opinion the Piko models are superior.

Piko produced 3 livery versions, the traditional “Dutch” grey and yellow livery, the original NS brown livery and a green and yellow one. I purchased the first two versions when they were announced but didn’t buy the green one. As time went by I regretted this decision so when one came up for sale on a Belgian forum I jumped at the chance and added one to my fleet.

I’m not sure why the locomotive was repainted in a Belgian version of the Dutch Railways livery but the body shell has been amended to include the revised headlight arrangement which I didn’t even notice until they were side by side.

The model came fitted with a decoder and a “retune” improved its running. My other 2 76’s have been sound fitted and this one might get an upgrade at some point in the future.

SNCB 7617 - Piko

With its class mates….

SNCB 7604 7608 7617 - Piko

SNCB 7604 7608 7617 - Piko

The other addition is a bit more modern. In 2017 Lineas repainted a 66 into its house colours Trix announced a version of this locomotive last year, I considered getting one but it was quite expensive and I’ve never been a fan of Trix motors. Then a month back ESU announced one and I ordered one from Lippe (using up some vouchers) and it arrived at the beginning of the week.

The model comes with loads of different sound options and sounds slightly different to my other 66 that is also fitted with a Loksound ESU decoder, guess that’s down to speaker arrangement. The model is also fitted with smoke which is something I’m never very sure about on a diesel.

Anyway it runs well, has automatic flange squealing, and the brake disks light up on heavy breaking.

Here are a few pictures:

Lineas 513-10 ESU

Lineas 513-10 ESU

Lineas 513-10 ESU

Old and new….

Lineas 513-10 ESU

Might get a video done next week.

Thanks

Neil

• Like 9

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve done some stuff…

I keep forgetting to update this this thread, I tend to just add stuff to FB as it’s quicker, take picture on my phone write a sentence and hit send.

In the last month I’ve crossed 300 likes and unsurprisingly most people come from Belgium…. 

Modelling wise I’ve just wired the lights into the DCC Bus so they are on all the time, originally they went through the Roco Switch Pilot to turn the lighting on/off. This was done so I could turn the lights off in case they got hot, but at home I tend to only ever operate for no more than 30 minutes at a time so this shouldn’t be a problem. I might wire them back into a switch before its next exhibition which should be Paisley in December.

One thing I have been looking for, for a while is some Belgian concrete fencing. This has a very distinctive design, I did think about getting some 3D printed.

Happened to come across this manufacturer by chance and they produce Laser Cut fencing which is very fine and just needs cutting out and painting.

SNCB Lineside Fencing - C-traccs.be

As I have said a number of times one of the objectives of the layout is to run electric locomotives with pantographs up.

I have had a long standing issue with some LS Model pantographs which catch going through the points. It tends to effect the ones with thin heads and only when leaving carriage siding 2.

Anyway when I looked closer (with a phone picture as it wasn’t visible from normal operating distance) I noticed the wire had not been soldered correctly, so fixed this and as if by magic the problem was solved!!

Catenary Issue (before being fixed)

Another 62 has been added to the fleet this time 6257 by Van Biervliet as part of their “Budget Line” although not sure 300euros is very budget…. The loco has a slightly different livery with the number higher up on the nose. I think this is my 16th class 62.

Quick picture of it on shed.

SNCB 6257 - Van Biervliet/ B Models

SNCB 6257 - Van Biervliet/ B Models

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Minor wiring change which no one will notice….

One issue I’d wanted to fix was the ground signals which I felt were too bright. So contacted DCCconcepts and they suggested I fitted a resistor between the board and the light.

So here is a comparison. On the left is the unaltered signal on the right is with the resistor. A bit better, but as I said no one will notice….

DCCconcepts ground signals with added resistor

Thanks,

Neil

• Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Neils WRX said:

Minor wiring change which no one will notice….

One issue I’d wanted to fix was the ground signals which I felt were too bright. So contacted DCCconcepts and they suggested I fitted a resistor between the board and the light.

So here is a comparison. On the left is the unaltered signal on the right is with the resistor. A bit better, but as I said no one will notice….

Thanks,

Neil

The less bright one looks a lot better to me, Neil!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

On 28/06/2023 at 22:32, 31A said:

The less bright one looks a lot better to me, Neil!

I agree as well, all sparked after a debate on another thread about signals not being visible from normal viewing distance!!

thanks,

Neil

• Friendly/supportive 1

Enjoying this thread immensely - have been an SNCB fan ever since that first overnight trip in '85 across the channel on P&O's "Rancid Astrid" to Oostende and beyond. Saw the line of 15's 16' & 27's in Oostende and that was it - smitten especially when the next Koln train arrived behind an 18 ! Am still trying to pick up an LS one from somewhere.

Any knowledge about the VB Class 51 breaking cover ?

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2