Ryecroft Arena

sf315

Spent some time yesterday wiring the bridge street lights up. Pleased with the result. In the pic from above the dark area to the right has had a light put up but not wired as yet. 
Other jobs done this week the backscene buildings have been glued into place. 

A78AF9E7-7F44-40F8-A8B6-344828D55293.jpeg

F612BC9C-5DCA-4841-AA4C-16E2E114B89D.jpeg

F4D6DAC8-89D9-4C8D-8AE8-2FBED937EA21.jpeg

• Like 6

The lights do look very effective and I like the difference in colour between the street and platform lights which is what you would expect with street lights especially older sodium lights having a more yellow effect. . 

One issue with model railway lights is the amount of spill light that you get. Modern planning requirements restrict the amount of spill light into adjacent areas. The latest LED type lights being installed on station platforms are very directional and would have no upward and very little sideways light output. I suspect that the light pollution officer at Ryecroft Council would have something to say about these lights. Would it be possible to add a bit of black paint or tape to the sides of these lights to reduce the amount of sill light?  

Just a thought.

Nick 

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve been running the layout for a while in Manchester mode  

This means I can use my 101 units in regional and the Blue SPT one that got transferred from Scotland when the 101 units last stand was in the Manchester area. 

Not much work done on the layout but enjoying running it. 

C3F41434-B86A-47F2-A949-D1664DC24B63.jpeg

2F467481-42D6-4195-A312-D26B06789C68.jpeg

8EE0F7AB-A340-46F0-BAD3-8F3DDAE430BF.jpeg

7BA6A842-7DFE-4834-B366-1C6EDD9C13B5.jpeg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Ryecroft Arena will make its public debut at this show. It’s very local to me as I can see Alasagers bank from my bedroom window. 

The layout won’t be finished but it’s in a presentable state.

Looking forward to showing it for the first time.  

More details of the show and other layouts attending can be found in the exhibitions section on Rm web where the show has its own thread. 

Thanks Steve 

E53CC048-84EA-462B-99F3-A445395D96CF.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Giving the new Dapol 142s a run and they’re pictured stabled in the station ready for services in the morning. 

I intend adding some details before the show at Alasgers Bank at the end of the month. I’ve added station name boards other station hardware to follow. 

CE8F94C6-3DD1-47D5-8129-6223B42FACF5.jpeg

7B941593-1A28-46E8-B6FA-D3B6329B12F8.jpeg

• Like 4

With the Alsagers bank show later this month I’ve been working on the scenic details on the layout 

The station has had nameboards added and seats. On other areas I’ve started to add small details such as the beer terrace on top of the station. Odd bits of greenery have been glued in position as well. 

A779A4BA-471F-4F48-86F1-2BC29AEFA8E9.jpeg

113FF5D1-04F1-47D5-92C2-6D5DBA50F723.jpeg

Edited by sf315
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

The layout is set up for its first show which is being put on by members of the Alsager railway association. See advert in above post. 

The layout will be in Manchester mode with First North Western being the predominant operator.

The proceeds of the show are going to the air ambulance and the school hosting the show. 

Looking forward to seeing how it goes. 

The layout isn’t finished but at least it’s presentable. 

Thanks Steve

F46D5069-FF58-42B5-8C5A-013B220C3574.jpeg

• Like 5

• 5 months later...

Ryecroft Arena has been invited to the DEMU Showcase show at Sutton Coldfield Town Hall on July 23rd and 24th. 

With the show being in the Midlands the layout will be in Birmingham mode and Central trains units in abundance. 

Hope to see some of you there. 

Edited by sf315
  • Like 4

On 11/05/2022 at 13:24, sf315 said:

Ryecroft Arena has been invited to the DEMU Showcase show at Sutton Coldfield Town Hall on July 23rd and 24th. 

With the show being in the Midlands the layout will be in Birmingham mode and Central trains units in abundance. 

Hope to see some of you there. 

Did not know about this show. 

It's been added to the calendar now :) 

Look forward to seeing you there 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just a couple of shots I’ve taken. 

With it appearing at DEMU Showcase I’ve thought about lighting and have bought some LED clip on reading lights off Amazon. They do the trick nicely. 

45FCC737-0B35-4279-941E-C0049F57C8B6.jpeg

C3CFE112-EC62-441D-8F03-F5D130EC9B61.jpeg

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

I’ve been adding a few small details to the layout with its up and coming appearance at DEMU Showcase at the end of July.

Ive also had a few running sessions trying different unit formations based on what I  saw around the West Midlands around 2000ish. 

Just a couple of pics for you. 

1AF7D06F-DBA9-4F28-BAE7-EE3BBD094896.jpeg

60E5A711-2444-4F26-8CAB-D7F2291DDF5F.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just a reminder that Ryecroft Arena is one of the layouts at DEMU Showcase at Sutton Coldfield Town Hall this weekend. 

It certainly won’t be the biggest layout there and I doubt there’ll be any locomotives running but please do come and have a look at it.

many thanks 

see you over the weekend hopefully 

Steve. 

• Like 3

All back safely after a really enjoyable weekend at Sutton Coldfield. The layout  ran well and I was surprised how well the layout was received and comments made. 

It even got more invites to shows and is also going to appear in print. 

Really chuffed how it all went and good to meet up with people that I’d not seen for best part of 3 years. 

Unfortunately one locomotive was run. A visitor asked me if I’d mind testing his class 70 he’d bought so it made an appearance. 

7A10BE33-9A47-4D3E-AE8A-232AC6E95FD1.jpeg

Edited by sf315
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Small but perfectly formed, and good to chat too. The modelling is stunning.

A recommendation to those inviting you to shows - try to allocate a corner spot to give extra observation opportunities.

Paul.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The layout has been made ready for this Saturday and it’s appearance at The Mid Essex show held in Shenfield see details in the events section. 

It will again be running in Central Trains mode with hopefully no locomotives just the DMUs. 

Its the layouts last show for this year. 

Hope to see some of you 

Steve. 

• 2 weeks later...

Enjoyed seeing Ryecroft Arena on Saturday, hope you enjoyed the show.  I like the way the buildings create a feeling of a claustrophobic city terminus. I also like the fact that it could be used with different eras or locations, it's given me a few ideas of my own, if they come to fruition though I don't know.  

Hope I get to see it again sometime. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Just seen your wonderful layout in February 2023 edition of BRM!

You have excelled yourself again!

What height is the backscene as you are making it dwarf the trains to good effect. Feels like you are looking down from a hotel window. Probably miss the concert at the arena. As we are too busy watching all the different arrivals and departures!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, muddy water said:

Just seen your wonderful layout in February 2023 edition of BRM!

You have excelled yourself again!

What height is the backscene as you are making it dwarf the trains to good effect. Feels like you are looking down from a hotel window. Probably miss the concert at the arena. As we are too busy watching all the different arrivals and departures!

Thanks for the comments 

the height is about a foot. 

This one is operated from the front sitting to the right of the layout as you look at it so I could make the backboard higher. 

The real reason is the bit of wood I had lying around in the garage was that wide so that’s what was used. 

You mention looking from a hotel window ive always said your on the top of a multistory car park looking over. 

To be honest some inspiration for the layout comes from staying at the Jury’s Inn in Glasgow when exhibiting at Modelrail Scotland, as it’s on the side of Glasgow Central station and a room overlooking is brilliant for just watching trains, mainly units just arriving and departing. 

Thanks Steve 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...