Ian's FINAL attempt at the Challenge!

scanman

Well, after the disaster that befel the last entry (see 'South Hall Yard') I had to give some thoguth as to whether to continue. Fortunately several decisions were made in the same period regarding my future modelling - and now the 'magnum opus' is under way in the shed (thanks partly to RMWeb members who were willing to part with cash purchasing my redundant stock!)

Upton Dene (of which this entry will be a part) will be a model of a 'typical GWR branchline' set in the late 20's/early '30's. Modelled in 'EM' gauge, using DCC, it will leave Upton Dene (aka Moreton in Marsh)

post-3469-127474438502_thumb.jpg

much as the old line to Shipston on Stour left it's prototype. The lowest level will consist of an typical oval, with the cassette-fiddle yard on the opposite wall to the main station. The branch will slowly climb round the walls of the railwayroom, decribing two complete circuits, with some 'dioramas' en route, terminating at Ambridge (a thinly-disguised 'Abingdon). En route it will pass through an intermediate station Penny Hassett (potentially based on Burchlere on the DN&S) and the dairy - the subject of this entry. The dairy buildings Will be based on the rail-served dairy at - yes - Moreton!

post-3469-127474477778_thumb.jpg

The model under construction will form an 'L-shped' corner unit - the dairy lying to the south of a low vidauct which will form part of the approach to Ambridge. Somewhat remote from the town it does howver serve many of the area's dairy farms.

post-3469-127474500722_thumb.jpg

As can be seen, the main modification is to make it a mirror-image of the prototype! It can only be served by trains heading up the branch to the terminus, and with (hopefully) two sidings it could provide some interting operations as well as a small unit to watch the trains go by' whilst the rest of the layout progresses.

As is my wont, a 1/4-scale model is under construction, made from Daler mounting board. I find these useful in that whilst I can visualise what I would like, a mock-up tells me what I can have! An example is shown below.

post-3469-127474534289_thumb.jpg

This image shows two '4ftx2ft' boards with the various timbers marked out. The lower part is the 'viaduct' board which will effectively be a 'tea tray' . As the entire layout wil be built on a curve of ruling radius of 41", and I only want to use ply for the sideframes and trackwork - the 'curved' bases show you don't get many from a 4'x2' sheet! However, I will get enough for the project (I've learned my lesson BTW - don't sakimp on baseboards - these are good uality 9mm birch ply from a reputable timber merchant).

The follwing images show the miock of the 'viaduct board' under construction. This board will have a 3" drop from track height to base, and (in the final scheme) will form a removable bridge across the layout room dorway. ll other boards will be 4" deep to protect the 'Tortoise' pms I will use. The added bonus is, that for this board I can add a 1" high 'ledge' to the adjoining baseboard sides for it to sit on - maybe...

post-3469-127474587523_thumb.jpg

The first thing to note is a wish to incorporate (from left to right) a canal, a stream and a road... Reality bites - The scene has a max height of 3" (about 18 scale feet) so it looks like toe soaring viaduct is out.... I might get away with a culvert carrying a stream, and a 'cattle creep' passing under an embankement... I could give myself a little more height by taking the extra inch depth on the adjoining frames - but I would then lose the benefit of the locating ledge (important as a 'lone operator' to have something for the board to res on whilst locating the securing bolts)!

post-3469-127474587644_thumb.jpg

A slightly more plan view shows the 'wish list'... Come back tommorrow & see where reality takes me!

(the dairy will of course be bolted on to the right-hand side as you look at the images). Total area (including an 18" cassette at each end) - about 1700 square inches.

As to operating potential - well:

Goods out - milk in tanks (they were just coming in in my period) or in churns in 'Siphons'

Other dairy products (cheese etc) in standard vans.

Goods in - packaging material (for cheeses) in vans (return trips carry away the cheese!)

- Coal in opens for the pasturising boiler etc.

Meanwhile, passing on the branch will be the normal passenger services, occasionally strenthened by a slip coach, coal & other general mechandise for the town, supplies for the large brewery, and for the gas works (coal in, coke & tar out).

Hopefully tommorrow I'll finish the mockups, get on cutting real wood, and then - when it get's dark, fire up 'Templote for the four points needed... ('Four?' I hear you ask)? Well, two full points and two catch points - one to protect the main from the siding, the other on the main to derail any runaways on the falling gradient..... I said it would be intersting!

I can't get over the state of that running line in the first pic!

What is also unbelievable is that 40 years ago, 'Kings' and 'Castles' were regulars on this route... Churchward and Collett must be spinning in their graves! (also, the train in the picture was a mere 20 mins behind schedule - come back 'God's Wonderful', all is forgiven)! A series of plus points for 1stGW - at least the main station building is recognisably GW, the SB on platform 2 has some 'cream & brown' paintowrk (obviously 'stone 1' and 'Stone 3' weren't available), some of the seats are the GRW 'Roundel' type and the signalling is still GW 30's steel tube type. In the corner of the local 'Budgens' (by the recycling centre) there still stands a 'tilley lamp' post. I've never seen one anywhere else, and it must be a candidate for a 'Grade II' listing by 'English Heritage'!

post-3469-12747864198_thumb.jpg post-3469-127478641773_thumb.jpg

I took loadsa photo's yeserday. If anyone's interested I can uplaod small images to the gallery area, and I'm happy to email 'full-strength' images (they're about 2.5meg, so check your server limit! All that on an 'as & when' basis - I've got a competition entry to get on with!

Regs

Ian

Progress this morning...

Amazing what a nights sleep will do...

post-3469-127479338399_thumb.jpg

and in close-up....

post-3469-127479338112_thumb.jpg

The only original feature is the stream-bed. The canal - (now overgrown & disused) sits at a lower level & passes under the trackbed in a low tunnel (some were really low -only 5' or so high) and crews 'legged' them through. Not in this case however - the towpath passes through the short tunnel. The 'road' has now become a farm track, and - with the sream - passes under an iron girder bridge. I'll let your imagination fill in the scenics!

So to cutting wood. The relationships of the curved trackbed to the baseboard ends is vital - so the curves were cut first. The trammel is actually over 8' 0" long (well I can dream, can't I!) (actually, Upton Dene will stand on a curve of a similar radius - I hate straight lines!).

post-3469-127479338708_thumb.jpg

One of the advantages of shift work - whilst the cats at her job, the mice can play!

post-3469-127479338526_thumb.jpg

Wot makes it work - the dive weights to the fore again (might be the only outing they get this summer!)

post-3469-127479338279_thumb.jpg

And the result - carefully 'jig-sawed' out - then (after sanding) used as a template for subsequent curved sections. The only thing I forgot was to trammel-in a centreline....

post-3469-127479337998.jpg

And so to lunch - quite a productive morning. PM should be spent cutting and assembling the viaduct (more probably 'embankment' ) tea-tray!

Regs

Ian

A good day I think...

The 'teatray' A.K.A. the 'embankment scene' is now complete as the two views below show.

post-3469-127482445098_thumb.jpg

post-3469-127482448439_thumb.jpg

Additionally I've cut the side frames for the two adjoining boards (the ones with the locating ledges mentioned earlier) and pilot drilled the holes for the locating bolts.

Time to thaw out now! I can do that whilst plotting out the creamery trackwork in 'Templot'... Hopefully (with an early start) I can get the creamery board built tommorrow, then it's back to work for a few days, so no chance to get any more done.

Regs

Ian

Looks an interesting plan! - Might be a bit early, but a poster for Lynda Snell's latest Am-Dram production would be a nice touch? wink.gif

Might have her on the station forecourt selling flags for her latest good cause (or more correctly her grandmother bearing in mind the period setting for the layout!

Regs

Ian

Not a huge amount done today - spent an hour at the doc's for a five-minute appointemnt & leaving for a night shift in about ten minutes!

Still, the 'dairy board' frame is together and linked to the 'country scene'

post-3469-127488936286_thumb.jpg

The 'country board will be fixed to it'a companions by bolts and a captive nut called (I jest not!) a 'prawn Tee'. The point is that when all the scenery is in place, there will be no other way of securing it. Pattern-makers dowels and hinges etc are out - the unit literally has to drop into place & rest on the runners whilst the brawns have their tea...

post-3469-127488936145_thumb.jpg

Finally - after a late night slaving over 'Templot' - the complicated trackplan! The 'main line' is to the top of the picture and, from a point about 3" from the yard throat, will be on a falling gradient of about 1:100. Said the shunting would be intersting!

The two sidings are, of course, on the level and the dairy/creamery will sit toward the bottom of the picture.

post-3469-127488936414_thumb.jpg

Well, thats it - 4 12-hr nights, a birthday party (mine) and a bank holiday will severely limit any modelling time - so 'Hi Ho Hi Ho its off to work I go'!

Regs

Ian

Actually, the last four days have been quite productive - thanks in the main to people with 'normal' lives cutting grass, doing DIY etc whilst yours truly was trying to sleep! A couple of forced early days, coupled with good weather at least saw the basic baseboards completed:-

post-3469-127520853766_thumb.jpg

The framing on the 'Dairy' board is complete - and provides the (very) rough contours for the scenery.

post-3469-127520853898_thumb.jpg

The dairy trackbed is in place - with the main running line losing 9mm at a gradient of 1:50. It doesn't look much -

post-3469-127520856449_thumb.jpg

until viewed through the 'overbridge' giving access to the fiddleyard. Bearing in mind the breaking of the train that will have to occur to deliver tankers etc - woe betided any train crew that does not 'pin down the brakes'! How will that be achieved? Follow the thread to find out!

Plans for the next couple f days include prepping the trackbed (cork etc), roughing out the scenery and starting track-building. I'm also going to order a 'Finney' 'Bulldog' and associated gubbins, a 'Slip Coach' '(Comet' or 'Southern Pride)(any comments on either would be appreciated) and underwear for a Bachmann pannier body from 'High Level'. Birthday pressies are great - especially when it comes in folding paper!

Regs

Ian

Progress has been quite good over the last couple of days - mainly 'roughing out' the scenics....

post-3469-127551534081_thumb.jpg

The main scenic component is good-quality urethane foam - the 'closed cell' variety. Also seen in this view is a roguh-out of the viaduct.

post-3469-127551533517_thumb.jpg

The dairy board uses the same product for the major components. Note the out-door working - essential when using this stuff! A rough general shape is all that is required.

post-3469-127551533647_thumb.jpg

The basic blocks have now been attacked by a variety of small 'Surform' tools and sand-paper. It is at this stage that I begin to develop a more fixed idea of what the scenery will look like. For example:-

post-3469-127551533244_thumb.jpg

This will be the site of 'Angel Cottage' - so called because it has been the home for generations of one particular family... Any guesses? Note that the trackway leading to the house platform gives an indication of it's age - countless years of livestock movement and erosion has taken it's toll.

post-3469-127551533244_thumb.jpg

The same site from the south.

When I was much younger, I was lucky enough to become aquainted with Jack Kine. Jack was head of 'special effects' at the BBC and a master modelmaker - particularly with refence to landscapes. On retirement he brought this skill to the field of model railways and became the 'inventor' of the 'SetScenes' range. His system revolved roung card formers (cornflake packets were an endangered species!) covered with squares of plaster's scrim soaked with his own brand of modelling powder. The result was a very light shell-form scenery which was totally consistent in its make-up - everything was cellulose-based so worked well with PVA adhesives and acrylic paint. I still have a couple of containers of the modelling powder, and they will be put to good use.!

I've varied Jacks underframe by using foam - but I have no doubt that if he were still with us, he would approve.

post-3469-127551590843_thumb.jpg

So here is the first layer of scrim going down, (there will be at least another two layers) held down with PVA which will subsequently react with the modelling plaster.

post-3469-127551533396_thumb.jpg

The low sun shows an very straight line between two sections of foam..

post-3469-127551533942_thumb.jpg

Which soon disappears!

post-3469-127551533778_thumb.jpg

However, as the layers develop, the same low light angle reveals some interesting 'lumps and bumps' - which in the real world are evidence of land use stretching back (sometimes) thousands of years. I Would suggest that a trip through the countryside - either in the early morning or before sunset could be a rewarding and thought-provoking experience!

Oh yes - I've also build a metre of 'C&L' track which will grace the viaduct..

All in all I'm quite pleased with the progress the layout has made - 9 days ago I had not even started on the 'mock-ups'. Also, I have a 'happy feeling' about this model - and looking back on previous layouts, that's a good omen!!!

Well, back to work tommorrow for a few days then hollyers next week. Whilst we're staying at home SWIBO has decreed 'No Modelling' - I responded with 'No Facebook'... We'll see who cracks first!

Regs

Ian

post-3469-127551533093_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

First things first - 'Blackrat' - thanks for the kind comment!

Okay, back from 'holiday' and back to work! The 'deal with swmbo didn't work out too badly - whilst she had a 'lie in' on occasion I got on with the layout! One area that was quick to resolve was the cross-baseboard connections - although if I'd thought about it earlier I could have saved some work! As the main line is only single track I decided to use the baseboard connectors to carry the current. The photo's below show the practical side. Input to the track will be via the leads soldered to the washers - leads will carry power to the track at the throat of the dairy turnout.

post-3469-127716487322_thumb.jpg

The power will be carried across the baseboard joint by the bolts. Leads from the 'prawn Tees' (remember them?) - simply trapped between them & the baseboard

post-3469-127716487433_thumb.jpg

- will carry the power to the track crossing the viaduct.

post-3469-127716487663_thumb.jpg.

A couple of rest days last week saw the pointwork accessing the dairy commenced. Drawn up in 'templot' and built from a combination of 'C&L' products and copperclad sleepering (resolves power issues, adds some strength and can be disguised by paint & 'half-chairs!). I'm modelling he GWR in the 1920s - the GWR of course had to be different - 2-bolt charis, straight switch blades etc, so reference to David Smiths 'GWR Switch & Crossing Practice' was an essential!

post-3469-127716624093_thumb.jpg

Shows the majority of the sleepering down. Copperclad is used at the crossing nose and to support the ends of the closure rails & switch blades

post-3469-127716624217_thumb.jpg

The dairy siding would have been protected by a single-bade trap point just before the entry point - the over-long timber will support the ground signal.

post-3469-127716624387_thumb.jpg

First rails added - the 'main line' is to the left.

post-3469-127716624539_thumb.jpg

The 'trap' takes shape. Five sleepers to the right, the eagle-eyed among you will spot another GWR idiosyncrasy - the running rails are 'joggled' to accept the switch blades...

post-3469-127716624697_thumb.jpg

Ahh - switchblades... Upto about 1920, the GWR used straight blades, leading to a distinctive feature in that, when in the 'open' position they formed something of a 'tangent' to the closure rails. Smith suggests in the book representing this by passing a pin from the blade through the sleeper and using it as a pivot. It will be masked by a single chair (in the prototype this was left loose on the rail to allow the blade to pivot within it! Here we see the pin (a lace-makers 'lil pin') prepared for its fate. It will be secured on the underside of the sleepering by a washer. A very thin washer!

post-3469-12771662488_thumb.jpg

The switchblade in position - note the planing to the upper surface & the radius on the nose of the blade.

post-3469-127716625029_thumb.jpg

post-3469-127716625189_thumb.jpg

The mounted switch blade in both open & closed positions - the angle of the blade in the 'open' position is very noticeable and a feature of the prototype switch. The 'joggle' referred-to above is more visible in this image.

post-3469-127716625359_thumb.jpg

The completed point - this will give access to the storage siding and the platform. The main running line is to the top of the image - and by this point will be on a falling gradient of 1:48!

A couple of 'late turns' coming up - so hopefully the yard entrance will be completed in the mornings - then a couple of days off to get the unit mounted in position. Must convert a Bachmann '57xx' to test it....!

Happy modelling

Ian

post-3469-127716487549_thumb.jpg

The pointwork for the dairy throat etc is now complete...

post-3469-127747018593_thumb.jpg

However, it did strike me that, with a crossing angle of 1:5.5 in the throat and 1:5 in the sidings, a trial run with the relevant rolling-stock might be in order. This will consist of a couple of 'Shirescenes' 'O2' Siphons on Ratio sub-frames -

post-3469-127747018707_thumb.jpg

that seemed to go okay (the 'load' - an EM B2B gauge) represents the wieght of the finished vehicle - there will be alternative w/m parts in the running chasis as well.

Now for the two 'David Geen' 6-wheel milk tanks.... This saga will continue in the 'rolling stock' forum!

• 1 month later...

Hmmm - last entry on 25th June...

Well, I also opened new topics on the construction of a 'dave Geen' 6-wheeled milk-tank (I'll get on with that sometime) and a 'High Level' pannier chassis - which has reached the 'push-along stage' (both were done to check that access radii etc wen't too tight - object achieved!)

Progress has been slow but steady on the actual layout, as I hope now to demonstrate!

First - tie-bars. I've always been unhappy with using a full-width sleeper (not prototypical) and 'underbaseboard units' -again not prototypical and in any case I cannot get them to fit properly... I think I've hit on an idea... Probably not unique, as I got a hint from another e-list. PCB sleeper-strip - seen edge-on - is a fair imitation of a square tie-bar. Trim to a thickness that will allow it to 'bed' into the underlay, sweat on three short lengths of brass tubing (two for the tie-bar connectors, one for the operating wire from the 'tortoise' and job jobbed...

post-3469-128251334701_thumb.jpg

post-3469-12825134213_thumb.jpg

Next stage - tracklaying and ballasting. Track laying was a fairly bog-standard process - paint the railsides etc, use Peco code '75' fishplates to connect the major sections (and to the undersides of which were soldered the 'dropper -wires' for power), then glue the track down with neat PVA, adding weight whilst it dried. Now for the ballasting...

I have used most of the systems mentioned on this group (and other sources). One method (which I favour) and have only ever seen mentioned once or twice - is to mix the ballast with a dry powder glue (I use 'cascamite') then, having spread it, sculpted it, made sure it's not in the wrong place (on top of sleepers, in between point-blades etc), the whole is then over-sprayed with water to which the obligatory drop of washing-up liquid has been added. This avoids the complication of dilute PVA 'clumping' the ballast, or getting into all those awkward little places!

post-3469-128251372719_thumb.jpg

The image above shows the main stages. The light-coloured ballast in the fore-ground is in the 'pre-whetted' stage - the light colour is the 'Cascamite' which is added to the ballast in a ration of 2 parts glue to five parts ballast. When over-sprayed the ballast dows darken somewhat - but mine comes from a bag of genuine 'Meldon Quarry' dust, so is a pinkish-brown in any case.

Having over-sprayed the ballast, I then go over it again using a toothpick (a most underated and versatile tool which should be in everyone's kit!) to remove any ballast which has moved out of position,

post-3469-128251463645_thumb.jpg

and 'tamp' down the ballast between the sleepers with the blunt end of a brush!

post-3469-128251472748.jpg

I will admit that the occasional 'bald patch' did appear - but that was easily remedied with a pinch of the ballast mix and a quick overspray. Fixing power? well, the main dairy board has now been inverted several times to install the sub-baseboard electrics & PM's and so far nothing has broken free!

So now the layout is at the stage where everything runs. One of the 'fiddleyards' - which represents the 'Ambridge ' end - has been constructed. The track will be a series of removable cassettes.

post-3469-128251515202_thumb.jpg

This is a purely temporary arrangement as, once the competition is complete I will be extending into the terminus. The other fiddleyard will have to wait until I can afford the timber to build it - next week probably.

So at last I can get into the 'Civil Engineering'. The bridges ( the 0verbridge into the dairy fiddleyard and the viaduct) are being built from 6mm expnded urethane foam. A very interesting article on this material appeared in the MRJ earlier this year and I would recommend anyone interested to read the article. The material is freely available in small sizes as food containers from 'fast food' outlets, and has the advantage that the surface can be easily worked to represent various finished. I'm working in 'Cotswold stone' for these structures, and the images below show the result of about an hour with an 'HB' pencil.

post-3469-128251548953_thumb.jpg

post-3469-12825155335_thumb.jpg

The loco in both images is an un-adapted 4500 - looks like another 'High Level' chassis will soon be under way!

So thats the progress to date - only the civil engineering, scenics, dairy, cottage, three locos and a load of rolling-stock to finish!

post-3469-128251375434_thumb.jpg

post-3469-128251375573_thumb.jpg

Somewhat frustrated, Sunday night.... Having spent the afternoon wiring the pointwork I re-assembed the two main boards - only to have one of the 'prawn tee' fixings tear loose. Moral - do not overtighten the bolts.... So Monday evening was spent repairing the damage - and replacing the power connector between the boards. I was using the bolts/washers for this but the connection proved unreliable, so it's back to the usual 'audio plug' combination - but feeding through a hole cut oversize threogh the two baseboard sides.

Finally tonight a bit of light relief - and some visible progress. I LIKE scenic work - and the overbridge provided just the light relief required.... The main face had already been 'etched' with it's stonework, so just end piers, parapet & retaining walls to add.....

[

attachment=54343:Basic overbridge with stonework.jpg]

about an hours work.

post-3469-128268912007_thumb.jpg

'Cotswold stone' is a relatively hard limestone, so some gentle distressing was in order. As can be seen, some have been 'picked out' with a scalpel. Others have been 'massaged' with a small screwdriver to reduce the depth marginally, and most 'stones' have stress-lines and sedimentation layers impressed.

post-3469-128268911753_thumb.jpg

On then to the paintwork. I invariably use good-quality artists acrylic. At a fiver per tube it ain't cheap - but applied neat it provides it's own texture layer. The palette is fairly simple - yellow ochre mixed with paynes grey provides the 'base' with touches of raw sienna applied over whilst still wet...

post-3469-128268911461_thumb.jpg

'Weathering' is applied using oil pastels. Again I buy my own in sticks from an art shop & grind them down on 200-grit paper. It is then applied with a brush - again whist the paintowrk is still wet. Seeemple eh...

post-3469-128268911874_thumb.jpg

The (almost) finished article in place. Final weathering will take place when all the ground effects etc have been built-up, and of course it requires a light touch to represent various species of climbing plants. All in all about two hours work, and a good de-stressing session after the last couple of nights!

Next working session will be to finish setting up the groundwork around the dairy, slowly working anti-clockwise round the boards. The viaduct will provide an evening's work to finish scribing the stones. Must check what's on the telly - an ideal job whilst viewing!

post-3469-128268911622_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Over a month since the last posting, and only a few days to go (or is it the end of October????. Actually progress has been made in the scenics & civil engineering depatment....

In an earlier post I mentioned I was a disciple of the 'Jack Kine' scenics school (see above for his background). One of Jack's methods concernes applying the basic ground colour. Plaster work is by definitiion porous and the first aim is to seal the plaster - at the same time providing some 'colour' to (a) disguise the plaster and (B) to support the later ground cover. Jack was a great beleiver in getting as much 'bang for the buck' as possible and using compatible materials. Modern vinyl paints are acrylic-based - and therefore 'artists acrylics' (big fat tubes at reasonable prices) can be used to tint (cheap) white vinyl matt household paint! The basic 'pallette' is shown below:-

post-3469-057717200 1286571322_thumb.jpg

The (very) basic colours used are black, sap green, yellow ochre and raw sienna.

post-3469-050059000 1286571323_thumb.jpg

Once the plaster is dry(!) the white vinyl can be applied. The pallette colours are then added in (almost) gay abandon... 'Almost' because in certain places and under certain conditions, the underlying geology (in my case cotswold stone) will show through, and low-lying areas will be somewhat darker because moisture gathers here.

post-3469-085940200 1286571315_thumb.jpg

On the approach to the overbridge, the line starts do descend into the cutting - so here the geology makes its presence felt.

post-3469-007602900 1286571319_thumb.jpg

A somewhat blurred overview - the darker patch in the foreground is one of those 'lowlying areas' (actually just below the 'springline') so will form a naturally boggy area with tussock grasses etc when finally sceniced.

post-3469-088094000 1286571316_thumb.jpg

The dairy approach road & associated groundform were 'surformed' out of the usual high-density foam, and then treated as above.

A start has also been made on the dairy. The prototype has already been described at the start of the article, but certain 'liberties' have been taken.... The dairy will show various stages of development. The only original building remaining is the stone-built boiler-room. The main shell of the building is based on the exisiting 1930's building, but a later 'brickbuilt' office has been added at the 'Ambridge' end.

post-3469-006909700 1286571318_thumb.jpg

Still lots of work to do, but the window frames are almost ready to go in.

post-3469-021652200 1286571320_thumb.jpg

Once the 'David Geen' 6-wheel tanks have been constructed, the 'Peco' ones will be retired.....

post-3469-051644800 1286571321_thumb.jpg

The falling ground between the dairy sidings and the 'main line' is very overgrown - thanks mainly to 'teddybear' fur suitably toned down with (very) dilute acrylic paint!

Well, thats it for now - the weekend is goingf to be spent trading at the 'Farnham Show'. If you're reading this and going to the show, drop by & say 'Hello' - I'm the one with the beard on the 'ClearSolutions' stand! If the comp *does* close on Monday - well, I've had a great time. If it closes at the end of October - well, there's hope yet!

Regs

Ian

post-3469-005092600 1286571313_thumb.jpg

post-3469-061021000 1286571314_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Ah well, never mind.....

Beaten by the neccessity of working lots of overtime in the last couple of weeks! At least I managed to get the daiy building almost finished!

post-3469-079923300 1288560350_thumb.jpg

As featured in a previous post the carcase is (unusually for me) made of plasticard. Final detaiing - widows, roofing is from the 'ClearSolutions' range (hardly surprising - I'm the owner!)

post-3469-098020000 1288560516_thumb.jpg

The main windows etc, assembled prior to insertion.

As I usually work in card (so the windows, built mainly from adhesive paper & thin card are completely compatible material-wise) I did wonder about long-term adhesive capabilities on plastic as I'm using PVA to affix the frames. Each window aperture is therefore 'lined' on the inside with offcuts of adhesive paper - the complete frame is then glued to that with the PVA

post-3469-032757100 1288560896_thumb.jpg

One of the main windows in position (the opening casements will be added once the building is secured in position). The relief afforded by this method of constructiion is just visible.

post-3469-043764000 1288561022_thumb.jpg

The boiler room windows (metal-framed industrial windows from a warehouse at Goucester Docks) and roofing slates also printed on adhesive paper. Cut and laid in individual strips these are prototype 'Duchess' slates (24"x16") and carry a faint line delineating the overlap.

post-3469-070008400 1288561367_thumb.jpg

The brick extension is 'tiled' using a similar system - however the tile-paper is affixed to thin card before separating into strips. This represents the fact that prototypically tile are thicker than slates.

So thats it - for me the challenge is over. Am I sorry I started? not a bit of it! Admittedly the time I spent on the initial entry could have been better spent on this. Hey ho, its been fun! On a personal level, it's brought me back to being an active modeller, and it served to refresh my memory about certain skills and developed others. This section will now form the springboard for the ''final layout' - the one I WILL complete before being shunted to that marshalling-yard in the sky! I'm just about to start that thread on the main layout section - look for 'Upton Dene - The Magnum Opus'! Also of course these last few lines would not be complete by saying 'thank you' to you lot for your comments (and inspiration) and to Andy Y for running the whole show.

ooking on the bright side, at least the aforesaid overtime will pay for the next baseboards - so 'On to Ambridge'!

So TTFN and may the best layout win! I look forward to the opportunity to vote when the final entries are in!

Regards,

Ian

Archived