Gill Head: Kirkby Luneside's neighbour

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Next update will probably be the end of next week, at the earliest.

Daily updates are rather pointless, aren't they?

Should be something different for people to look at by then.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 06/05/2022 at 22:45, Physicsman said:

Next update will probably be the end of next week, at the earliest.

Daily updates are rather pointless, aren't they?

Should be something different for people to look at by then.

Pointless never Jeff, just another angle is just fine I always notice something I’d previously missed.

Brilliant thread this not to be missed, or for your own sanity stick some moon pics up we like those to.

Cheers

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

A lot of work has been done in the underbridge area since Friday.

Landforms, a roadbase and a basic flock covering have gone in and the (completed) bridge continues to soak up dilute paint washes.

To avoid "same old, same old" postings, I'll show the state of play in a few days. Tomorrow I'll be starting on an embankment retaining wall, so that'll keep me busy.

I know some people like the daily format, and it's no inconvenience to me. However, I'm acutely (too much, probably) determined to avoid posting "similar" stuff (5 hours additional daily work may not be visible in the pics) and switching people's interest off.

J.

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

I’m the “some people” 

Just saying!

Not even one incy wincy teeny wheeny tiny tiny pic 😆😉.

Don’t think that would switch peoples interest off…….

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Don't think he's listening Ade. In fact I'm getting a bit concerned about him. I think he's become addicted to DAS. I think we may have to stage an intervention and put him on cold turkey.😀

DAS just not true........

May be able to find an incy wincy pic for you, Ade.....tune in later!

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

I think where there has been a process which is new or important to a "build" then frequent posts are perfectly okay. It's when people open endless boxes and plonk the contents on the layout and produce hourly posted photos that it all becomes a bit tedious and self-serving.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

I think where there has been a process which is new or important to a "build" then frequent posts are perfectly okay. It's when people open endless boxes and plonk the contents on the layout and produce hourly posted photos that it all becomes a bit tedious and self-serving.

Jonathan, I COULD NOT AGREE MORE.

And there is one specific layout/train set on this Forum where exactly that happens - though Rule 1, of course, can be endlessly invoked.

Nobody forces us to look at any of the threads, so I suppose the "thread holder" can choose to post whatever they like.

For Gill Head, I'm very much aware of a core group of 15-20 people who regularly look on here. I'm not here to entertain, per se, but it bugs me if I feel I'm endlessly repeating myself (which I'm not).

I could add some variety with a video or ten.....NO, not my style.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

I much prefer to read about how someone has created a convincing scene, it doesn't take much, you can take proprietary items and make them unique with just a little work.

To me, modelling is making, modifying, improving, detailing items to create a believable picture, even if it's of something entirely fictional.

Box opening (or worse, never opening) is simply collecting in my book. Nothing wrong with it if it's your thing, but it isn't exactly modelling.

I try to keep my posts centred on something I'm making, or hacking about, or having a problem with. I get advice and encouragement and I hope that what I do is at least inspiring or entertaining for the reader, possibly even useful, despite things not always being in a logical order and random acts of weirdness.

It must be working, as people are quite shocked when a train appears..

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

55 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I much prefer to read about how someone has created a convincing scene, it doesn't take much, you can take proprietary items and make them unique with just a little work.

To me, modelling is making, modifying, improving, detailing items to create a believable picture, even if it's of something entirely fictional.

Box opening (or worse, never opening) is simply collecting in my book. Nothing wrong with it if it's your thing, but it isn't exactly modelling.

I try to keep my posts centred on something I'm making, or hacking about, or having a problem with. I get advice and encouragement and I hope that what I do is at least inspiring or entertaining for the reader, possibly even useful, despite things not always being in a logical order and random acts of weirdness.

It must be working, as people are quite shocked when a train appears..

Wolfie haven't you got a house to decorate.😶

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

Quick update, then.

The underbridge isn't yet fixed in place. I have a little bit of tidying up to do with the pointing, yet. The "retaining wall" - just a standard square-block stone structure to keep the left embankment away from the road - has only just been built and had a quick wash of paint.

The position of the demarcation "proper" stone walling is clear, veering off to the left.

The flock is a VERY rough base cover. I sometimes wonder why I bother as it nearly always ends up covered in grass fibres of one length or another.

The Paint masterpiece gives the general idea of what is planned.

20220510_191143.jpg.750f592d3ac6abd3a9fab1d6e6a10406.jpg

724371018_20220509_152807crPaint.jpg.8b2aae6d1e54cb92a00471d701f4c97a.jpg

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that, Peter.

It was a really lovely evening in the "far" north (Cumbria!!), too.

I obtained some spectacular images of the moon last night - may put a couple in here when processing is done.

248Gb of data in 36 images in 90 minutes. Good job I've got some SSD back-up drives.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Update....

The underbridge is now sat in position with track fitted in place. Track will be grimed tomorrow.

Embankments to the rear of the bridge are in, covered to the flock stage. Base grass tomorrow.

Around 1000 stones are in the walling moving away from the bridge. More will be needed - maybe in a few days.

Pics will appear later this week, probably Thursday.

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Physicsman said:

Update....

The underbridge is now sat in position with track fitted in place. Track will be grimed tomorrow.

Embankments to the rear of the bridge are in, covered to the flock stage. Base grass tomorrow.

Around 1000 stones are in the walling moving away from the bridge. More will be needed - maybe in a few days.

Pics will appear later this week, probably Thursday.

Sounds very promising.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

“Thursday” tell em Thursdee but don’t tell em which Thursdee 😉.

Trouble is there’s a photo famine Tuesdee and Wednesdee to deal with between now and then! 🙃 😇

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Give 'em an inch....... and they take a millimetre!!

Good response, lads. Sorry that you'll have to wait, but I have a few (thousand) things yet to do. 

Rob, tell Burton to stay tuned in!

• Funny 3

2 hours ago, Physicsman said:

Give 'em an inch....... and they take a millimetre!!

Good response, lads. Sorry that you'll have to wait, but I have a few (thousand) things yet to do. 

Rob, tell Burton to stay tuned in!

I believe the correct procedure would be; 

Broadsword calling Danny Boy, Broadsword calling Danny Boy. Stand by. Broadsword out.

• Funny 1