Gill Head: Kirkby Luneside's neighbour

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

I've made some changes to the area under the viaduct and I'm working on the gill. Pics of that, probably Monday.

In the meantime, another recently processed moon pic from Wednesday, 13th April. The big crater upper middle is called "Gassendi" and is around 100km across.

1665320112_Moon_225656stitch8MHumCROPJPEG.jpg.6fbb6eae3ae88a024e7bb3c840dfd1eb.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

I've just been made aware that I've been voted 3rd in the 2021/22 BRM modelling awards.

I wasn't even aware this was happening.

So thank you to anyone on here that voted for me. I'm quite taken aback!!

EDIT:

Looking at the brief details I've been sent, it looks like an Editor's Award.

So thanks to Andy York, then!! 😀 😀😀

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 11

• RMweb Premium

Some updates on modelling carried out over the last week or so.

The wall to the rear of the station area, leading towards the goods yard, has been replaced....poor thing, it was only 4 months old.

More tree making has been on the go, and the area beyond the wall provides the space for a series of 30-40 foot mature trees to "grow". 3 in place at the mo, another couple in the future as the wall extends towards the station entrance at left....

1939703970_20220425_143911rs.jpg.f961d12fe381a4e0a02d3aa95904ec26.jpg

20220425_152412.jpg.938ea24dd57b2bd7a59e88a1f1552eb9.jpg

1114445363_20220425_153808Gcurcr.jpg.5fd752aae096acac72956219c9d64547.jpg

1577967040_20220425_153905Gcurcr.jpg.c37254ae85117452feb2735d0658a0b4.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Replacement walling on the cutting is complete, with all copings fitted. The cows can now safely cross the overbridge with no fear of tripping over blocks of stonework!

20220424_160820.jpg.1d443540e88b52b8716114e0ba722ae3.jpg

20220424_160831.jpg.3b8db3586fa4097a873e4d6d18f22300.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium

The "water" gel will clear when it has set - this is the 4th "layer", and the last.

Other than those things I've not been doing much.

Off to cut up some Weetabix packets, use some Shredded Wheat for thatching, patch a few baseboard holes and see if I can find new supplies of ply in the skip.....

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Alister_G said:

Careful Jeff, you'll be getting a reputation as a cereal killer...

Al.

Hi Al. Nice to see you on here. There was - for a short time - a "groan" button, but Andy Y decided to remove it. Perhaps people with no sense of humour were offended at receiving one.

Personally, I'd be chuffed!

Only joking about the Shredded Wheat, though it's amazing what modellers will use in the quest for "realism"!!

Jeff

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

It's all looking very convincing Jeff. I like the idea of 30'-40' for trees, especially for uplands examples. They're big, but won't dwarf everything else. I'm looking forward to making the trees for my own layout.

If you need a groan button,, pinch this and use as necessary.

51932045-groan-word-on-keyboard-button.jpg.32478d22853efa75a55de0f7b6e76e3a.jpg

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

It's all looking very convincing Jeff. I like the idea of 30'-40' for trees, especially for uplands examples. They're big, but won't dwarf everything else. I'm looking forward to making the trees for my own layout.

If you need a groan button,, pinch this and use as necessary.

51932045-groan-word-on-keyboard-button.jpg.32478d22853efa75a55de0f7b6e76e3a.jpg

Sorry Rob, I HAD to give you a "Funny" when I'd have liked to give you a "Groan".....

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Jeff just out of idle curiosity what do you do with the old stone work? Is it possible to recycle it or does go in the bin?

There must be a fair bit of it and it seems such a same to have to dispose of it. 

Excellent question, and yes there's been a hell of a lot of it!

I kept a lot of the stone walling when I broke-up the last layout (KL2) and actually re-used about 5 metres of it on here. The original walls near the viaduct path were recycled from KL2.

Unfortunately - in my opinion - the new walling is so much better than the old stuff that I couldn't imagine ever using it again. So I'm afraid all the old stuff I've replaced has been binned. 20,000 stones worth - probably 8kg of DAS.

The walling around the outside of the layout from station area round to the viaduct remains the "old stuff" (from last May to Seotember).

I acknowledge there's a degree of insanity in all of this. I'd have preferred not to have spent 10 weeks re-doing walls (amongst other things), but my rule 1 is that I MUST always try the best I can, however mediocre or good it turns out. So as improvements in technique come along, stuff gets changed.

I actually sat for ten minutes this afternoon pondering the running of trains round all of this. Nice, but not my priority by a long shot. Think I'll build the underbridge at the station exit next - DAS brick cladding on a ply skeleton, methinks.

J.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Apparently, the groan button was removed because certain people were using it in a somewhat childish manner.

I can't imagine that!

Oh, hang on a minute...

No, in true Victorian style, we modellers are certainly NOT amused by any degree of flippancy on these threads.

It's chin up, straight face and jolly well on with the show.....

And yeh, that's a load of old boll0ck5 for sure!!!! We should demand the return of the groan (sounds like a Swedish sauna scene!!)!!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

Update: I've given the trees and walling a break for now and started work on the underbridge that's adjacent to the station.

I'll put some prototype photos and a sequence of build pics at the weekend, when I've had chance to make some progress.

But there's no escape from DAS. The bridge is a stone construction and the easiest way - for me, anyway - is to build a ply shell and clad it with DAS "stone blocks". Details will be forthcoming!.....

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

A picture report a bit sooner than planned as I got a fair bit done today.

2 pictures, one of the prototype (underbridge number 324, adjacent to Armathwaite station on the S&C) and one of the state of the model after 2 days.

Things are complicated slightly by the fact that the track is already fixed in place, so the bridge has to be built to fit around the location. The front face and underlying supports have been put together as one "unit" and the rear face will be fitted on at a later stage.

There's a little bit of "buttressing" involved in the structure - hence the wet DAS, which provides an angled "ramp" for the stonework. When the DAS is set it will be rubbed down and stone blocks fitted on top.

The block size on the bridge is typically between 3' x 1' and 2' x 1' (12 x 4mm and 8 x 4mm) with variations. The blocks will (mostly) be made from 1mm thick DAS strip, cut to the above dimensions, and stuck on to the structure as a "cladding". I hope to start the procedure tomorrow.

To either side of the bridge is a sloping embankment and - guess what - some walling. Yippee!

298070_2012-04-10_MRH_BU_SAC-324_Station-Rd_Elevation-NW-1.jpg.0e862d1bce36f04df28ae3a810963f2e.jpg

20220428_151306.jpg.c69c008eab55f7bed149144c48278d9f.jpg

• Like 7

It looks as though the abutment walls are revetted slightly and the arch has vertical sides. Perhaps the bridge was built in stages to ensure that the central arch couldn't shift while being built? There doesn't appear to be room for conventional wing walls as the ground beside the road rises quite steeply.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Physicsman said:

Here's a closer view of the area you've highlighted.

298070_2019-05-02_KNu_BU_Elevation-NW-02.jpg.cd93921618c845ffc41a0156bbd43d6a.jpg

I have about 25mm to work with, so don't expect minute detail on the model!!

That photo, at a slight angle, explains things. As Rob @MrWolf says probably no room room for wing walls and it certainly makes an unusual feature not often seen.

• Like 1