Interesting and inspiring photos from Flickr....

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, KeithHC said:

Have another look at the picture. To me it has an M suffix M31024.

Keith

No, that is the M prefix, meaning it's allocated to London Midland region.

BR built coaches only had the prefix, pre nationalisation coaches also had a suffix to indicate their region of origin. In the case of this van, which was built by the LMS, it's number in BR days should have been M31024M.

Wasn't always the same prefix & suffix. Scottish region allocated coaches had 'Sc' prefix, but the suffix was (usually) either E or M, depending on the pre nationalisation region.  Eg ScxxxxE or ScxxxxM.

• Agree 3

On 29/06/2022 at 20:42, rodent279 said:

Not got a full set of mk3's to go with your prototype HST power cars, but got a spare half APT-P rake? Look no further......

HST_APT_Tring_ege_Nov1979

HST_APT_Tring_ege_Nov1979_2

HST_APT_Tring_ege_Nov1979_3

Lovely set of photos there - I'm now wondering exactly where on the WCML it is and why has it (apparently) stopped mid section....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

Lovely set of photos there - I'm now wondering exactly where on the WCML it is and why has it (apparently) stopped mid section....

Yes, not a lot to go on re identifying the location; a rail-over-road bridge, a 4-track section and APC magnets indicating a neutral section - these might help narrowing the location down. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

I'm guessing somewhere around Bourne End. I did think it might have been near Ledburn Junction, but the surrounding countryside doesn't look right. Unfortunately, my dad, who took the photo, is no longer with us, and I only discovered these whilst clearing the house.

Edited by rodent279
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

An intriguing picture from AndrewHAs

Royal Navy . 34RN91 . Newton Abbot Railway Station , Devon . April-1974 .

If it wasn't for it saying "Royal Navy", one might assume it was a prison van and Norman Stanley Fletcher was about to make an appearance. But what was a Royal Navy bus doing at Newton Abbot Station? Not exactly the kind of Devon place one would normally associate with RN (like Dartmouth). Or was it collecting the crew of HMS Troutbridge after another navigational exercise led by Sub Lieutenant Phillips?

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

An intriguing picture from AndrewHAs

If it wasn't for it saying "Royal Navy", one might assume it was a prison van and Norman Stanley Fletcher was about to make an appearance. But what was a Royal Navy bus doing at Newton Abbot Station? Not exactly the kind of Devon place one would normally associate with RN (like Dartmouth). Or was it collecting the crew of HMS Troutbridge after another navigational exercise led by Sub Lieutenant Phillips?

I think you probably hit the nail on the head when you mentioned Dartmouth - which happens to have a rather important naval establishment nearby.

• RMweb Premium

'only' an LMR van - was expecting some sort of SR Ferry vehicle (as in, 'how far away from its intended home can it be?')🙂

Edited by keefer
  • Like 1