Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Quirky Poll 2021

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Barry O said:

Midland Railway Paget loco - it is quirky(!).

LMS Ro-Rail Bus (yes Ks did do one as a kit.. but RTR?)

Baz

Hello Baz

The Paget loco was in 2019 but came in 'Low Polling'.

The LMS Ro-Rail Bus was also in but, I'm pleased to say, was 'High Polling'.

I will happily put that item on the 2022 agenda for you.

Brian (on behalf of The Quirky Poll Team)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Deffo the Bullied Shunter for me, its so cute.

I was literally saying the other day to a friend I wished there would be a model or something made for 'Daddy Long Legs' of the Brighton Seashore Railway just because its so bloody weird and we need more weird models...if one did get made through I would be concerned for the legs being super flimsy and snapping off, or how they would get power and pickups... maybe make the legs telescopic or something. And if that gets made then gotta have Volk's Tramway Engines to go with it, cant have one without the other.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

EMU's , 60's, 70's, 80's onwards in the "Railroad" range. It's what the youths see and recognise today. Basic configurations in primer say, to add the livery of your local line or company.....:good:

As a Cornishman, for me it's the Trevithick loco.

It was the first locomotive in history, I think no more needs to be said.

Trevithick also invented and demonstrated the first road locomotive in 1801. Between his static engine, rail and road inventions, he could be said to've been the most influential inventor in all of human history. It's a crime that he isn't credited.

Edited by Stoker
typo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I too have to go for the double ended Sentinel as I do like a Sentinel. Would I buy one? Perhaps not but then again maybe I would it would depend on the price point and how easy it could be converted to EM.

Regards Lez.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

It would have to be Volks for me, a Brightonian….and my Dad worked on it as a driver after he took redundancy from Southdown / BH&D.

Brighton MRC built a 1/43 scale model of part of it. The layout was donated to Brighton Museum and is probably languishing in their storeroom.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, acg5324 said:

It would have to be Volks for me, a Brightonian….and my Dad worked on it as a driver after he took redundancy from Southdown / BH&D.

Brighton MRC built a 1/43 scale model of part of it. The layout was donated to Brighton Museum and is probably languishing in their storeroom.

It would make a good model, especially if it included Peter Pans playground, the workshops under the arches and even the Faller car system. Problem is, any models would have to come as a set including the 2'8" gauge track. (Or the old 2' depending on the era). 

Regards Shaun. Also a Brightonian.  

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 07/12/2021 at 10:35, BMacdermott said:

Thanks Bernard - got it now.

Brian

I have a picture in my mind off the Cresta setting off leaving the chain, bumper and a pile of rust in the 4ft

However the Top Gear train challenge (in P4)!

ce92fac5af2fff77be893f2794edcba5--car-trailer-cars-and-trucks.jpg

• Funny 4

On 06/12/2021 at 14:43, BMacdermott said:

Hello Clive

Noted that you are 'only joking' but if anyone wants to suggest any items for 2022, please write here or PM me direct if you prefer.

We can't make a promise that your choice will go in, but it will be 'given a fair hearing'.

Brian (on behalf of The Quirky Poll Team

Brian - would the Crewe Works narrow gauge railway on Z gauge track be quirky enough ?  Quite how you would fit a mechanism in a loco though I am not sure.

Even more fun would be the Irish Guinness factory where they had narrow gauge locos with cylinders on top of the boiler driving vertical rods to the outside coupling rods, but the whole 0-4-0 loco could be lifted into a standard gauge "power bogie" where the narrow gauge wheels turned the standard gauge wheels.  Is that quirky or what ?

Guinness loco G3 (modelengineeringwebsite.com)

Guinness Brewery Tramways (irsociety.co.uk)

Edited by Covkid
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
On 15/12/2021 at 09:29, BMacdermott said:

Thanks tomparryharry

Could you let me have links etc for the 3ft 6in items? I'm afraid they are outside my knowledge sphere.

Brian (on  behalf of The Quirky Poll Team)

Hello Brian, thanks for the reply.

I'll try to find some links for you. But, if you're interested, have a look at SAR class 26 'Red Devil' on Youtube

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I could have a use for the Maunsell diesel shunter, but not the Bulleid.

As for Ivor, a childhood favourite of mine. But best left to the quirky Smallfilms IMO. Things like that rarely translate well.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello truffy

Did Thomas not 'translate well'?

My own personal view - without my Poll Team hat on and without a scrap of 'toy market' knowledge - is that Ivor could do very well.

He is - arguably - more 'modellable' than the Thomas range. He is the only loco, there is not much rolling stock and the railway he runs on is relatively compact. A '00 scenic representation' of the hills, town, station, signalbox, shed, viaduct and mine with figures of Jones the Steam, Dai Station, the sheep and the dragon could all fit pretty well onto a 6ft x 4ft board.

I can envisage many kids - and plenty of 'big kids' (!) -  spending hours indulging their imaginations in creative play! :)

Brian (personally)

Edited by BMacdermott
  • Agree 3

On 16/12/2021 at 22:00, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Think I'd go for the Sturrock steam tender loco to.

And, for Clive, I'd like to add the rubber wheeled 'Bus' the LMS played around with in the 30's, might have a go at one of those, one of these days.

manna

Are you referring to the Micheline railcars, there have been HO scale models of these.  Marklin  / Hamo  produce RTR a very similar type 11, and a static version by Atlas.  The type 20, which was licence built by Coventry Engineering, was produced as a static model by Atlas.

Clive