S&D in a very small space - Timsbury Bottom...

Gilbert

• RMweb Gold

A few miles to the south east of Dad and my first layout, which was fictitiously located between Coleford (Somt) and Vobster, is 'Dead Woman's Bottom, Mendip' . Probably only suitable for a halt, located, as a number of Somerset stations seem to be, somewhat away from any centre of population.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Not Jeremy said:

Well, there isn't anywhere called  Simonsbottom, Simonsbath maybe, but I never built a layout based upon said place.

You've just got to own it matey!

And I didn't even mention "chunky halt".....

Stench Electric.

19 hours ago, Gilbert said:

I confess - Timsbury Bottom does appeal!

A bit more progress - track power wiring installed - I tried "solderless" below the board for a change- I shall see how it goes - all tested and working.

51832049856_705bcc1996_c.jpg

Point motors next

Charlton Bottom has a certain charm and appeal.  And you may well be familiar with that name!

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Bulwell Hall said:

Charlton Bottom has a certain charm and appeal.  And you may well be familiar with that name!

Apropos of bottoms, as it were, are there any footpaths or ways through on foot from the bottom to which you refer up to Stockwood Lane?

I am asking for a friend....

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, RodneyS said:

I saw a layout at an exhibition a few years ago called Loose Chippings.

In the guide he said something like "you've all seen the signs, this is the place".

Michael Bond was there first, in Paddington Abroad: "Gravillons".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Not Jeremy said:

Apropos of bottoms, as it were, are there any footpaths or ways through on foot from the bottom to which you refer up to Stockwood Lane?

You got it in one Simon!

On Friday last week I  took advantage of the lovely sunny day and took a splendid walk along the Charlton Bottom branch as there were no trains running.  This is the fixed distant signal as I approached the terminus!!

Gerry

P.S. I did have permission to be on the railway side of the fence and it is recommended that you don't believe everything you read on the internet!

20220114_125750 (3).jpg

Edited by Bulwell Hall
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Not Jeremy said:

My understanding is that Stockwood Vale was previously known as Charlton Bottom (part of it still is on maps) and still has  a connection to Engine House Lane - which is still a route to Queen Charlton from Keynsham for those of the 4x4 inclination...

ttps://www.bathnes.gov.uk/sites/default/files/sitedocuments/Streets-and-Highway-Maintenance/FootpathsandPublicrightsofway/keynsham_to_queen_charlton.pdf

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Bulwell Hall said:

You got it in one Simon!

On Friday last week I  took advantage of the lovely sunny day and took a splendid walk along the Charlton Bottom branch as there were no trains running.  This is the fixed distant signal as I approached the terminus!!

Gerry

20220114_125750 (3).jpg

They seem to have installed the wrong breed of signal.....

• RMweb Gold

Good to see this up and running, Chris. 

I still hanker after a more expansive slice of the S&D ( Eweington Burtle, junction for the Bleatwater branch ) but equally fancy a bit of Bristolian Midland Railway practice. A small suburban terminus, Ramsbottom Marsh. 

Rob. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

More progress of a sort - I've decided to build the RH fiddle yard to join up with the LH FY from Cropper Street giving a bit more length or even run through play value if a suitable space is available.

51860115024_f149afe1f9_z.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I've not had any short circuit issues on my various layouts powered by NCE but as I have a couple of PSX units I decided I may as well rig the connection between the rear of the NCE panel and the track so this can be inserted and put somewhere accessible/visible. My other layouts could be easily re-done as well as I tend to make wiring conections pluggable.

51858825867_9c87c1cf46_z.jpg

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

I've not had any short circuit issues on my various layouts powered by NCE but as I have a couple of PSX units I decided I may as well rig the connection between the rear of the NCE panel and the track so this can be inserted and put somewhere accessible/visible. My other layouts could be easily re-done as well as I tend to make wiring conections pluggable.

51858825867_9c87c1cf46_z.jpg

Um.........Nope, say again, over........

Edited by NHY 581
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Um.........Nope, say again, over........

There has a been a bit of chat recently on the "net"about short circuit protection - NCE systems have a cut out and automatic reset function (for example when a plonker runs the wrong way into a mis set point) but I am told that bif there is recurring short one may encounter problems.....a PSX is a circuit board thingy that augments the NCE short circuit protection. I repeat that I have never had a problem but as I have a couple of said PSXs from my early days in DCC I have decided to see if my trainset will benefit from their deployment...

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

There has a been a bit of chat recently on the "net"about short circuit protection - NCE systems have a cut out and automatic reset function (for example when a plonker runs the wrong way into a mis set point) but I am told that bif there is recurring short one may encounter problems.....a PSX is a circuit board thingy that augments the NCE short circuit protection. I repeat that I have never had a problem but as I have a couple of said PSXs from my early days in DCC I have decided to see if my trainset will benefit from their deployment...

Roger. 

• Funny 1